MA for Idahorob

Re: MA for Idahorob

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:17 pm

This may not be easy to do on your own and I doubt many ski shops want to undertake this project. There is no money in it. We do it as a service, because it improves skiing. Greg gave you the right approach.
h.harb

Postby idahorob » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:46 pm

idahorob wrote:What bindings are you using? Most companies (Tyrolia, Marker, Look/Rossi, etc) make shims that you can put between the binding toe piece and the ski/plate to adjust your binding delta in ~1mm increments.

My iSuperShapes have Freeflex Pro 14 bindings. But, as Harald says it would be tricky on my own and ski shops may not want to do it, so I'm going to wait.

Meanwhile, I've been looking at this squatting position as a possible movement issue and trying to devise an experiment that would test whether it's the boots or if it's me. Here's the basic question: What if I just didn't do that any more? Could I just plain ol' stop it?

This led me to try to reconstruct how I came to this arrangement, because I didn't used to be there. Also, I'm in Nordica Speedmachine 14s, which flatten my stance so much compared to my ex-boots (Tecnica Icons, Dalbello Kryptons, from which I'm now divorced) that it took me nearly a month to adjust to boots that stood me up with so much LESS leaning forward than I was used to.

As best I could reconstruct it, the squatting started when I got determined to get better angles and needed to get more flexion in my free leg. I spent a lot of time with Power Releases, which at transition has both knees practically against your chest and your chest has to come forward for that to happen. Then I got attached to the "make the long leg match the short one" and maybe carried that too far.

Flexing the leg happens at both the knee and the hip joint. Joints can be flexed either distally or proximally -- which means from farther away from one's center, or closer to it. With the hip joint it means you can flex by bringing the femur up towards the pelvis or you can bring the pelvis down towards the femur, or a combination of these. Perhaps I focused too much on bringing the pelvis down.

I've stood in my boots on carpet and thought about what I was trying to do to get my inside hip closer to the snow and discovered I was actually taking it BACK, as well as down. To stay balanced I had to bring my shoulders and head forward. This is counterbalance, but in the front/back plane instead of side-to-side like we usually refer to it.

My last two days of drills it feels like I've made a significant change, but have had no chance to get video to confirm it and I'm now suspicious of my sensations without video confirmation. But it's a start. Do you all think I'm barking up the wrong tree with this?
No matter where you go, there you are.
idahorob

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:42 pm

idahorob wrote:My iSuperShapes have Freeflex Pro 14 bindings. But, as Harald says it would be tricky on my own and ski shops may not want to do it, so I'm going to wait.

Call Chris at the HSS shop and ask him to send you the toe piece lift as well as longer screws.

idahorob wrote:My last two days of drills it feels like I've made a significant change, but have had no chance to get video to confirm it and I'm now suspicious of my sensations without video confirmation. But it's a start. Do you all think I'm barking up the wrong tree with this?

My suggestion is come out and ski with me for a week (I'll be your PMTS coach and you be my feldenkrais instructor). At the end of the week you'll be one the right track and with any luck my traps will have less tension (too much time in front of the fffing computer).
Max_501

Postby idahorob » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:55 am

DUDE! That's an awesome idea. See you Monday! Just kidding . . . I'll call you this weekend, though, and we'll get the arrangements started. Very generous, Max. Thanks. And you can expect a lot more than just less tension in your traps!
No matter where you go, there you are.
idahorob

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 am

bump
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video