MA for Art - Releases

MA for Art - Releases

Postby arothafel » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:00 am

At first view, I noticed that I tend to square up instead of ending in a CA position. What else? (if you will reference against video time that would be helpful).

Have at it! - Art

arothafel

Re: MA for Art - Releases

Postby arothafel » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks serious...

Yuck... I see it. I was trying to just let the stance ski go to flat but there it is. An extension. I need to get back into the HH's books and especially the videos. I hate it when I actually "practice" bad technique.. but, I'm glad you caught before I spend a whole season at it...!
arothafel

Postby milesb » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:34 pm

I have had success with doing the boot touch drill with the TFR.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby arothafel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:13 am

I have had success with doing the boot touch drill with the TFR.

What's the sequence, Miles? Start with stance boot touch and then transition to other boot as you go flat and finish the release to the new stance foot?
Is there a video of this somewhere?

TFRs are the absolute hardest drill for me. But, it seems like it must be accomplished before any attempt of BPST or brushed carves. I'll take HK Carver's lead and continue to post this drill til I get better at it.

All suggestions, tricks, visualizations, etc. are appreciated!
arothafel

Postby milesb » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:44 am

Just keep touching the boots (or knees if that's too hard) and staying as flexed as you can through the whole thing. You will have to tip harder and pull the feet back harder, but I know you can do that.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby h.harb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:09 pm

Look, this is a great start, few will do this exercise better. There is no split between the skis at transition, which is a huge step for Art. The up move is minor, now add some loering and tipping. Reverse the slight extending with flexing, by flattening and flexing together; you will be a super star. When flexing you have to feel like you are putting your butt on the snow, then tip your feet.
h.harb

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:11 pm

It seems to me that the two foot pullback can make it look like there is a leg extension, even though you probably felt like you had flexed to release. I know the feeling that you know that you were flexing, but the video shows what looks like a bit of an extension as the feet were pulled back. So with Harald's advice,
The up move is minor, now add some lowering and tipping.
, in conjunction with the re-centering move, the next video should be great.

Please let me know if what I described above is how the turns felt or not, because I'm trying to reconcile this in my own turns.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby arothafel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Monster Man..

I so was narrowly focused on letting the stance ski go flat, staying centered/balanced on my skis and allowing gravity to bring me around that I'm not sure I was paying much attention to whether or not I was flexing. I am pretty sure I felt flexed when I allowed the stance ski to go flat... but the video doesn't lie. I also didn't do a very good job of having my zipper pointed down the fall line at initiation or completion.

I realize now, that there's a lot more to this drill than I thought. And, that it's important to pay attention to all the details involved -- from start to finish.
arothafel

Return to Movement Analysis and Video