MA on carver_hk's mogul skiing

MA on carver_hk's mogul skiing

Postby carver_hk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:42 am

Just happen to have a few day skiing in Niseko. This is my first day skiing and already feeling some difference. Now I m able to ski down this mogul(average 1 foot deep in black run) in complete confidence. I bet this have been due to reading the book2 when I was in the plane. If I could get more confidence and more fluid I ll attempt the steep mogul(2 feet deep, black run) run (In fact I did, just not too successful). So, what is missing? Thanks in advance for offering help. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtwwjthFGIk
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Re: MA on carver_hk's mogul skiing

Postby geoffda » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:11 am

Hi HK,

Two changes I would suggest for you. First, narrow up your stance even more. When your feet are apart, you can end up out of balance when they end up on different levels on the bump. You had that happen towards one of your bottom turns.

Try to keep your feet in contact. Touch your stance boot with the free boot when you initiate and then bring your legs together when you tip your stance foot to match angles. Some very good PMTS skiers can ski bumps with a six inch seperation or so, but that is hard to do until you master the amount of tension required to keep your legs from moving around. For now, keeping your feet and legs together will help you.

Second, work on your upper body. Lack of CA and CB are causing problems for you at the bottom of the turn. You are finishing square and inclined and both of these things are causing a somewhat abrupt finish to the turn because your tails are washing out.

Pole drills will fix this. Dragging both poles and focusing on keeping the outside pole in contact with the snow will help fix your counterbalance. Dragging the inside pole and pushing it in an arc so it finishes just off the inside ski tip will help develop CA. There are also several other good drills in Essentials to work on, but the pole dragging is great because it is something you can do whenever you are skiing.

I like the strong Phantom move you are making. Just make sure you aren't extending to do it. I think you may have a slight extension at the start--either that or your timing is off. Its hard to tell because your camera person is bobbing the camera and the quality of the image is so poor when I try to stop it. Anyway, you want to be tipping while you are flexing to absorb. If you lift the free foot, you get your engagement by flexing the stance foot (as opposed to extending the stance foot and inclining). Extension should not happen until your skis are tracking down the back side of the bump and pulling you long.

In bumps, you can augment the Phantom move by pulling the tail of the lifted ski up to your butt (while you are tipping). This will really bury the tip in the trough and help snap you around in deep, nasty bumps.

I also like your line choice. You are getting your turn done early and that is the reason you don't end up slamming into the oncoming bump despite the fact that you are ending up too sideways at the bottom of the turn. Your good technique at the top of the turn has given you some margin for error.

So work on fixing the upper body so you can better control your edges and keep them soft. Then work on releasing your turn slightly earlier. That will keep your skis from getting too sideways and will help with your flow.
geoffda

Postby carver_hk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:35 pm

Thanks for your analysis. You are always helpful. Yes, I m aware my upper body is giving me trouble and it shows clearly by the waving arm. I ll try to put what you say into my mogul skiing. I still have 5 days to go in this trip. Hopefully get a better one to post before end of trip. :D
carver_hk

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:38 pm

Nice work getting a line down there without a snow boarder dropping in unsighted on his backhand out of the trees on skiers right. I think that is the run under the Ace Two Chair down from the Thermometer about half way down? If so, don't sell yourself short. My niece calls that run the "Moguls of Death" and it's quite narrow when you take a line to miss the chairlift towers.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:29 am

Hi MonsterMan, yeah! its that mogul run. Its true that its quite fearful before I get comfortable skiing it. It just looks like there were no way to turn that short. Yet, after reading the book, it became so easy. I ll say Harald play Magic in his book. :D

Today, I get even more confident. So confident that I attempted the 2 feet deep mogul run on black run that I mention earlier. It may not look very deep, but trust me its very deep. :shock:

Thanks Geoffda again for mentioning the important points. I tried my best to put in everyting. Here is the video. Comments and advise welcome. Otherwise, I ll continue to work on the latest advise improve on it anyway. Thanks in advance for any help.

1st clip, 1 foot deep mogul, black run
2nd clip, 2 feet deep mogul, even steeper black run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Cx1UIxsY0

later,

Martin
carver_hk

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:52 am

You will be reaching the terminal soon. Pleasa raise the safety bar and keepa your ski tips up!

Negotiating those runs without getting faster as you go is a great achievement. Don't be fooled anybody they are steep and deep.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:49 am

MonsterMan wrote:You will be reaching the terminal soon.
Thanks for the very kind words. I guess, as an amateur, its a very long way, if not impossible, to reach there. :D However, I m happy enough to have achieve this level of free skiing. I never imagine I could negotiate bumps this big. I believe, what next to work on is to crystalise each essentials.

edit: btw, I didn't choose a line in both vids. I just try to catch the next trench down the slope. You know, I only have limited confidence, I m not good enough to check which way to go yet. :D
carver_hk

Postby BigE » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Try to pull your feet back harder at the start of the turns, so that the tips make contact on the back side of the moguls. Release with deep flexion then add strong foot pull back and tipping. As the skis reach fall-line begin the extension to round out the lower part of the turn.

Generally, the thought to have is to exaggerate EVERY essential.
BigE

Postby carver_hk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks for the advise. It is fun to visualize the effect of performing what's in the advise and see that it works well. I ll try to do that next time on real mountain. Hope that will be my family ski trip this summer. :D
carver_hk

Return to Movement Analysis and Video