MA request on BPST

Re: MA request on BPST

Postby carver_hk » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:57 pm

Never been A-Basin yet. I m sure it must be something to be desired whether u r talking about the PMTS camp or the terrain. Actually never been the US or Canada as its much more convenient in my situation to arrange trip European or Asian ski resorts. :D
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Postby carver_hk » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:43 am

In my attempt to get more flex to release(not retraction or just relaxation) I ended up with wedge. Not sure what went wrong. I ll continue to try to figure it out if there r no advise. My guess is I have other essential went wrong which put me in a wedge when flex deliberately. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWlnh-hRiYQ

the good thing is I can feel I get more momentum if I flex more. :D
carver_hk

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:35 am

Try to make a larger, rounder, slower arc. Sometimes your turns are so quick, you get a skidded ski to an edge set. This is rushing. It tells me you are less comfortable still with your tipping adjustments and your balance over the skis when they are relatively flat.

"This is an under appreciated skill."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0hWESFlMAs

Skiers who perfect this and learn to feel comfortable with this kind of balance, can make short turns on any slopes. We don't use pivot slips because they produce the wrong kind of effort. Two footed releases define your skiing. A real test is doing these slow two footed releases on blue icy slopes. When you can do that, you will be an expert skier.

When you can do the two footed release easily, what it does is, it develops ski control and direction control. Think about how you can maneuver in the bumps with total control of your speed and direction. The two footed release is the foundation for becoming an expert skier.
h.harb

Postby carver_hk » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:03 am

Thanks for the video and the feedback. I ll try to copy that.
h.harb wrote:Try to make a larger, rounder, slower arc. Sometimes your turns are so quick, you get a skidded ski to an edge set. This is rushing. It tells me you are less comfortable still with your tipping adjustments and your balance over the skis when they are relatively flat.
Together with the brilliant release mechanism you described in the Head Skis thread and recalling that I did try to release with old stance skis in all turns I suspect the skidding highlighted my problem as when I get more momentum across the fall line. I believe it was due to my old inside skis was not on LTE and intentionally lightened so as to get more fall line angle. That creates the skidding? :D
carver_hk

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:36 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSmvtafrrIA

Just playing arround with video software. May be of some use. Harald is real time. I had to really slow Martin down to roughly sync. this.

One thing that really stands out is the "O-frame" in Harald's turns. There is no rush to edge the new stance ski, look how it appears flat in the fall line. It's a release, it's not a RTESRS.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:07 pm

MonsterMan wrote:One thing that really stands out is the "O-frame" in Harald's turns. There is no rush to edge the new stance ski, look how it appears flat in the fall line. It's a release, it's not a RTESRS.
Great analysis. Thanks. But I don't understand what RTESRS means. :D
carver_hk

Postby h.harb » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:34 pm

How'd you do that, I'm looking for simple software that can put two videos on one screen to compare skiers? I don't want anything like Dartfish too much hassle and time to learn all the functions.
h.harb

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:30 pm

But I don't understand what RTESRS means.

I forget now,

Release to Engage Short Radius Skid maybe???
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:34 pm

MonsterMan wrote:Release to Engage Short Radius Skid maybe???
I was thinking about the same thing just couldn't find the exact words matching the abbv. :D
carver_hk

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:38 pm

How'd you do that

Sony Vegas Movie Studio,

Not Maaaacccc though.

I had to get something to edit and publish movies with the new Hi Def Camera. 1 Month free trial, but it was such a great shave I bought the company. (well a copy of the software).
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:58 am

Its for the very first time I can feel how difficult is to move the hip over and across the skis at slow release. I m trying hard. Yet, just can't kill the rotation. I feel that if I don't pivot or 'rush' the transition, my hips just tends to stay uphill. The new inside leg tipping and pull back seems trigger a pivot for me. I don't like it. Will try harder. Here is the intermediate product. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xchmz53Piw
carver_hk

Postby BigE » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:05 am

Does anyone see any CA or am I blind? I don't see and CA whatsoever.

Go back another step. Work on stationary tipping drills. Build a carpeted platform to practice tipping and counterbalancing.
BigE

Postby Max_501 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:39 am

Its difficult for me to see with this video but I think there is some CA on the turn to the right but none on the turn to the left.
Max_501

Postby BigE » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:56 am

carver_hk wrote:Its for the very first time I can feel how difficult is to move the hip over and across the skis at slow release. I m trying hard. Yet, just can't kill the rotation. I feel that if I don't pivot or 'rush' the transition, my hips just tends to stay uphill.

This is the critical passage. The hips are staying uphill, because you've transferred all your weight to the uphill ski, then you tip.

The sequence is Release, Transfer, Engage. You are transferring first.

Remember, let the turn come to you. It is harder when turn forces are low, and very demanding of balance.
BigE

Postby carver_hk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Thank you both for the great comments. :D

As I manage to ski slower and slower. The difficulties in maintaining balance in transition is obvious. Initially I was unable to release at all. So, sometimes just continue uphill and sometimes just fall downhill. I checked if my movement is reasonably correct by taking videos of single turn 2fr on both sides. Reconfirm all movements, set my focus and attempt the linked turns again. I believe the lack of CB and CA was due to the rushed transition. In this video I released by:

1. balance on the old stance leg
2. flex and untip the old stance leg to release while transferring balance to the old inside leg at the same time.
3. pull back the new inside leg quickly and tip aggressively with CA(attempting) & CB to cut down vertical drop of the turns.
(it appears to me that wedge is effectively eliminated with the above set of movement in the many videos taken)

so what went wrong is I shouldn't transfer balance to old inside leg? :D
carver_hk

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video