MA request on BPST

Re: MA request on BPST

Postby geoffda » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:59 am

MonsterMan wrote:Playing arround with some "non-maaaaaccc" software.

As I don't think you've been to a camp CarverHK, I thought I would post some video including some of an advanced pmts skier like Max501 and some aspiring pmts devotees doing exercises. The point to note is how slow we ski in trying to ingrain the movements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlNMGn0c8jw&feature=youtube_gdata

Hope this helps in some way, I had fun making it anyway.

Geoff

edit, spot the spelling mistake and win complementary membership of the Hintertux beer Club.

What software did you use to slo-mo that?
geoffda

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:14 pm

"Pcractice Slowly, it is still fun."

When do I get my membership card?

It's just a secret hand shake and funny walk, details of which you will receive during a one off Vulcun Mind Meld.

Too many rr{s} in around. I guess I may have to get to Austria now!!

For our Kiwi friend, same as above, but with an extra initiation ceremony. Don't panic, no cameras or videos are allowed. If there is another ewe, she won't find out.

What software did you use to slo-mo that?

Trial software to convert "FLV" files, (from UTube) to "WMV" then Sony Vegas Movie Studio to edit. Quite neat, you just hold the ctrl key and strecth the video on the time line and it plays slower.

Martin, regarding the ice, that explains a lot, do the conditions change much? You were doing ok with the tfr's some time ago. Why not think of the conditions as an opportunity to really nail the movements? Easy to say I know, only you know how bad it is. Remember Harald saying that the person you need to convince that you have a bullet proof short turn is yourself.

Be careful out there people!

Cue Hill St. Blues theme.

Geoff
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:03 pm

MonsterMan wrote:regarding the ice, that explains a lot, do the conditions change much?
The weather condition is the same everyday and so is the snow condition, that's why I have been so much into carving. Previously my feeling was you don't get a edge lock grip u r just skidding and recovery. :lol:
Sure, I ll try to get the GOAL in the video. Thanks for the great work to help getting the right direction. :D
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Postby carver_hk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:17 am

Perhaps its been quite some time I havn't practice the 1fr and 2fr. Its less then good, anyhow I just want to show that working back on it looks like effective. After the practice it seems my short turns seems somewhat improved. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfLQoIpHO6Q
carver_hk

Postby milesb » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:16 am

Those releases were really good. Regarding the icy slope, have a little more faith in the stance ski edge- it held just fine when you were doing those phantom javelings. Resist the urge to get on the inside ski if the stance ski starts slipping, tip harder and counterbalance more instead. That should give you the speed control you want with this sort of turn. I'm not really good at carving on icy slopes, but PMTS gives us the control to handle steep icy slopes (I don't recommend skiing steep icy slopes, but sometimes you "misjudge" conditions and there you are!) with confidence.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby carver_hk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:36 pm

milesb wrote:Regarding the icy slope, have a little more faith in the stance ski edge- it held just fine when you were doing those phantom javelings.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know if it sounds logical I find carving phantom javelings is way easier then doing phantom javelings with kind of BPSRT in this condition. :D
carver_hk

Postby kirtland » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:15 am

Carver HK,
I have been watching the videos of your skiing, what I notice is that your hip rotates to the outside of the turn, sometimes, until the fall line, particularly when you are practicing one or two footed releases, making the movements slowly. I made some stop action screen captures of this, but I could not figure out how to post them, so you will need to look at some stop action shots of your skiing, on your own, to see what I am talking about. Look at your hip at the beginning of turns in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlNMGn0c ... tube_gdata and in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfLQoIpHO6Q
You need to be drawing your free foot back more and transfer to your little toe edge completely at the beginning of your turns then tip.
Diane posted a good guide here. http://www.harbskisystems.com/dblog/200 ... ctice.html

Your hips should not be rotating or projecting to the outside of your turn at the beginning, you hips should be within the range of being square or countered slightly to your skis and over your skis or moving to the inside of your turn. That being said, don't think about moving your hips. Make the adjustments at your feet and your hips will follow. You may have to think of letting your previous stance ski to continue to move forward through the previous turn so that you have a slight inside ski tip lead at the beginning of your new turn, at the same time pulling/holding your new stance foot back enough that you have pressure on the little toe pad. I say that with some reservation, because if you have too much tip lead, it recreates the same problem, of your new inside foot not continuously holding your inside foot back underneath you. So that being said let it go forward then immediately pull it back striving to keep your feet close to even. What you do not want, is for your new stance ski to have a tip lead going into the turn. like you would if you were making a Telemark turn. If your feet are not initiating the turn for you, then you have to resort to hip projection to initiate the turn. Almost everyone has used it and it is a hard movement to get rid of.

I have seen you working on this for along time and trying to figure this out, so hopefully a slightly different approach may be helpful.

I hope this is helpful and not confusing. Kirtland
kirtland

Postby milesb » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:28 pm

Martin, sorry I wasn't more clear. I didn't mean that you should try this sort of turn with the phantom javelin- that really is best for carved turns. But you can see that you can trust the stance ski edge in your latest video. Look at the first release you do in your video. You stay balanced on your stance ski throughout the whole "turn"- even though it's edge doesn't really engage until you come to a stop. Your movements are very smooth yet deliberate, your stance is correct, and that maintains your balance on a skidding ski. When you actually ski, nothing should change. Same stance, same outside ski balance, same smooth movements. And don't be afraid to ski with the inside ski tail raised a bit, just like you do in your releases. Whether the stance ski is fully carving or fully sliding, you can stay balanced on it. It's a beautiful thing.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby carver_hk » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:29 pm

kirtland wrote: I have been watching the videos of your skiing, what I notice is that your hip rotates to the outside of the turn, sometimes, until the fall line...

Your hips should not be rotating or projecting to the outside of your turn at the beginning, you hips should be within the range of being square or countered slightly to your skis and over your skis or moving to the inside of your turn. That being said, don't think about moving your hips. Make the adjustments at your feet and your hips will follow.
Many thanks for pointing out my problem. Honestly I did notice something weir about my hip but not sure where it come from. Now I got your message and it seems I can now see what's wrong with it. :D

MilesB - Thanks for the further clarification. I think your idea is great, why not just making the linked turns like the 1fr. :D
carver_hk

Postby h.harb » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:03 pm

HK, this isn't the first time this has been mentioned to you. If you check back in old posts, you'll see in fact, it was the first thing I brought up about your skiing. Kirkland is right, but be careful you don't go around in circles.
h.harb

Postby carver_hk » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:07 pm

h.harb wrote:HK, this isn't the first time this has been mentioned to you. If you check back in old posts, you'll see in fact, it was the first thing I brought up about your skiing. Kirkland is right, but be careful you don't go around in circles.
Thanks for the warning. I think the wider skis is a very good test of my ability. Even I tried hard, problems comes back. So as posted earlier. I ll restart with from the basis and go through the earlier post with this wider skis. :D
carver_hk

Postby carver_hk » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:04 am

I can see the 1fr is bad, 2fr is a little bit better. but I feel a change in my BPSRT. Is that true? :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqxs9yQ-mhc
carver_hk

Postby MonsterMan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:14 pm

Martin,

how many slow TFR's can you link down that slope?

My guess is at least ten.

Show us that and then we can see how your Bullet Proof Short Turn is.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:30 pm

Sure, I ll try to get some really slow linked tfr next time. :D
carver_hk

Postby carver_hk » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:57 am

as advised. Sorry! can't get 10 turns on linked tfr. only 9, though I tried really hard. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl8n1gZt13g
carver_hk

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video