MA request on BPST

Re: MA request on BPST

Postby carver_hk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:43 pm

oh! one more advantage with the HarbCarver is that its very easy to take your own video of Carvering. So that you can check your Carvering whenever you like it. Kind of immediate feedback that is not easily available in skiing. :D

And more about drilling holes, I pay attention not to destroy the structure where it would take more pressures. And also the insole is pinned to get ventilation as well.
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Postby Erik » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:57 pm

MonsterMan wrote:
I would recommend taking them off your feet before drilling.

Did you have a bad experience Erik???

No problems with drilling through the boots. Instead, I attached the skis directly to the Carvers - that's how you are supposed to do it, right? :D

Erik
Erik

Postby h.harb » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:55 pm

You can use the Solomons, they already have the holes predrilled. I have designated boots permanently fixed on my carvers. Alignment dialing is very important on Harb Carvers. I suggest using video whenever possible.
h.harb

Postby carver_hk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:23 am

As advised, more flexing to release. I m feeling even less effort in these turns. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkld5J-0wlU
carver_hk

Postby geoffda » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:55 am

carver_hk wrote:As advised, more flexing to release. I m feeling even less effort in these turns. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkld5J-0wlU

Hi HK,

Lots of improvement in your TFR, but as far as flexion goes, I'm not seeing it. There isn't much flexing going on at release. In fact, your legs seem to remain in the same slightly flexed position for the entire turn. Like many other things, flexion is a continium. On one side you have simple relaxation of the stance foot to allow gravity to pull you into the new turn. On the other side you have aggressive retraction, or pulling the knees up towards your chest so your hips can take the shortest path to move into the next turn. Your legs are shortest at transition and they will extend as they move across the hill while your CM continues on a more direct path down the hill.

If you dig up Harald's "bring out the expert skier in you" video: http://www.harbskisystems.com/hblog/hblogindex.html, pay attention to the section where Harald and Diana are skiing together (starting at 2:49). You can really see the flexion that occurs as they move through transition. I find the view from the back as they pass the camera is especially good for seeing the flex, since you can really see them sucking up their knees and then you see the legs extending laterally. That level of flexion is more towards the retraction end of the spectrum. If you keep watching, you'll see Harald demonstrate brushed carves right after that and you will notice that he is using a much less aggressive level of flexion.

Do some boot touch drills to start experiencing deeper flexion and then play around with it. Exaggerate! IMO it is easier to fully flex at transition with an edge locked ski, so you might try that first. Then try to do some brushed carves with full retraction (somewhere there is a video of Max_501 doing this). When you do this with brushed turns, there is less energy involved with release and the slow-mo nature of the transition will really help you experience what is going on when you fully flex. Do a bunch of those, and you'll have a good feel for how much flexion you'll want to use for any given turn.
Last edited by geoffda on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoffda

Postby Max_501 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:00 pm

geoffda wrote:If you dig up Harald's "bring out the expert skier in you" video: http://www.harbskisystems.com/hblog/hblogindex.html, pay attention to the section where Harald and Max_501 are skiing together (starting at 2:49). You can really see the flexion that occurs as they move through transition.

That's HH and Diana. I was the camera guy.
Max_501

Postby geoffda » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:02 pm

Max_501 wrote:
geoffda wrote:If you dig up Harald's "bring out the expert skier in you" video: http://www.harbskisystems.com/hblog/hblogindex.html, pay attention to the section where Harald and Max_501 are skiing together (starting at 2:49). You can really see the flexion that occurs as they move through transition.

That's HH and Diana. I was the camera guy.

:oops: Doh! I don't think of Diana as a student, so I assumed when the caption read, "this is one of my best students" it must have been you! Fixed it. Thanks.
geoffda

Postby carver_hk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I watched the linked video. Yes, the flexing is obvious. Mine is not obvious. I remember somewhere in the book said feeling could be deceptive. I did remember I extended my leg upon turn initiation and if I do too much it made me feel I was doing a hockey stop. Maybe the flexing is just not enough? or its not obvious because of the terrain? Anyway I ll try to exaggerate the movement on my next update. :D
carver_hk

Postby geoffda » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:30 pm

carver_hk wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I watched the linked video. Yes, the flexing is obvious. Mine is not obvious. I remember somewhere in the book said feeling could be deceptive. I did remember I extended my leg upon turn initiation and if I do too much it made me feel I was doing a hockey stop. Maybe the flexing is just not enough? or its not obvious because of the terrain? Anyway I ll try to exaggerate the movement on my next update. :D

Boot touches are the external cue to let you know you are flexing enough. As far as extension goes, don't! Extension has to happen automagically as a result of everything else you are doing. You should never have to force it or think about it. Rather, as you move through neutral and start tipping, your skis will start moving away from you as your body continues on a straighter path down the hill and into the new turn. This is the automagic part--you will extend because your skis are taking your legs with them. The early part of the high C is not about pressure, it is about keeping your skis in contact with the snow and establishing the arc. You don't have to actively extend; your stance leg just gets drawn out. Does that make sense? If you focus entirely on flexion, the extension should just happen for you. If you let the turn come to you, it will be really obvious when you can actively start pressuring the ski.
geoffda

Postby h.harb » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:52 pm

As far as instructors I've coached, Diana is the most successful skier.
h.harb

Postby BigE » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:07 pm

geoffda wrote: If you let the turn come to you, it will be really obvious when you can actively start pressuring the ski.

Nice!
BigE

Postby h.harb » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:34 pm

If you have that idea in mind your skiing will be rewarded. You can't achieve this if you however, if you extend off your uphill leg, push your Cg into the arc or down the hill toward the falline.
h.harb

Postby carver_hk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:48 pm

geoffda wrote:You should never have to force it or think about it. Rather, as you move through neutral and start tipping, your skis will start moving away from you as your body continues on a straighter path down the hill and into the new turn. This is the automagic part--you will extend because your skis are taking your legs with them. The early part of the high C is not about pressure, it is about keeping your skis in contact with the snow and establishing the arc. You don't have to actively extend; your stance leg just gets drawn out. Does that make sense?
Yes, I got this feeling. I didn't mean actively extend. I can understand that when the skis is tipped and pressured it will turn on its own like what happen in stationary TFR. I guess this single understanding have rewarded me the recent improvement. Regarding the boot touch I ll see if its safe enough to do the drill in the fridge on my next practice. It is unfortunate that the fridge have become a freestyle heaven now, with boxes and kicker on both sides. There are only like two skis length width corridor down the slope. :D
carver_hk

Postby carver_hk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:49 pm

h.harb wrote:If you have that idea in mind your skiing will be rewarded. You can't achieve this if you however, if you extend off your uphill leg, push your Cg into the arc or down the hill toward the falline.
Got it, Thanks! :D
carver_hk

Postby geoffda » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:36 am

carver_hk wrote:
geoffda wrote: Regarding the boot touch I ll see if its safe enough to do the drill in the fridge on my next practice. It is unfortunate that the fridge have become a freestyle heaven now, with boxes and kicker on both sides. There are only like two skis length width corridor down the slope. :D

Are you sure you aren't skiing at A-Basin? :mrgreen:
geoffda

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video