Carvers MA

Re: Carvers MA

Postby RyanAllen » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:06 am

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:32 pm

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby noobSkier » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:56 am

Beast. I agree with the alignment changes, results look positive. If I am nitpicking, I'd point to your right footers slightly drifting away when you get on that BTE. It's hard to say what the cause is because it's so minimal. I'd stick to this setup for a few weeks and stay mindful of the slight drift on the right footers. But this is great carving.
noobSkier

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:24 am

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:50 pm

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:40 am

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:41 am

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby HighAngles » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:58 am

Color me really, really impressed... and inspired. I'm going to dust off my Carvers and see if I can get a boot setup that will work with them. I've done a lot of work with my boot setup over the past couple seasons and I am going to try to duplicate that on an old set of boots to use with the Carvers. So how does the canting for snow generally translate to the canting for the Carvers? Does the canting need to be exaggerated a bit when moving to the Carvers?

I'm believe that we're all going to end up with much less snow time in the early season due to CV-19 restrictions. With less terrain open, the mountains are going to have to keep their skier visit numbers down. I'm hoping to make up the difference by getting time on the Carvers.
HighAngles

Postby RyanAllen » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:05 pm

RyanAllen

Postby HighAngles » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:17 pm

RyanAllen wrote:Thank you for the comment! The early shutdown to the last ski season was a big motivator for me to build my carvers. Although frustrating at first - because I didn't bother following any instruction initially - they have become one of my favorite workouts. They could serve as a training tool year round when the weather permits. If I can transfer even half of what I've learned on carvers to the snow that would be excellent!

HighAngles wrote:So how does the canting for snow generally translate to the canting for the Carvers? Does the canting need to be exaggerated a bit when moving to the Carvers?

I've wondered about this too. It would be interesting to get HH's thoughts on any differences between boot alignment for skiing vs. Harb carving. If everything goes according to plan, I will be at HSS for an alignment appointment in November. So we'll see how my DIY alignment compares with the professionals. They will probably get a good laugh! My carver boots are also my older practice boots, to which I have modified the cuff alignment, and modified my cork footbeds with posting for over-pronation. I also bought several different cantology strips and have cut them into small sections to fit on top of the carver bindings, under the boot soles.

I really don't know whether aligning them would be any different, but my hunch is that the carvers are more sensitive to any misalignment because of the possible leverage from being higher off the ground. I have room between the bindings and boots for up to about 4 degrees of shimming and my right carver is maxed out while my left carver doesn't seem to need as much. Let me know what you come up with!

Thanks for that info. I have the original Comp Carvers and I never loved the way the boot connects to the Carvers. I have some old skiboard (snowler blades) bindings that I'm thinking of retrofitting onto the Carvers. That would make canting adjustments much easier to deal with. I guess I'll just start with matching my old boots' setup to the new ones and see where that gets me.

BTW - I live about 30 minutes from the shop. There's a local "posse" of PMTS folks out here, so ping us when you're definitely coming out.
HighAngles

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:18 am

RyanAllen

Postby noobSkier » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:18 pm

very nice. I would pick on the pole plant a little, even though its minor (apart from the timing issues). My preference is the HH-style wrist flick as opposed to driving the inside elbow forward. Just study how HH does it...I've also become proficient at it.
noobSkier

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:46 am

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:53 pm

RyanAllen wrote: I saw a video recently of Marcel Hirscher freeskiing. It wasn't pretty. I was disappointed and confused - how could someone who can ski a world cup SL course with total mastery look so disorganized while free skiing? Well, applying my theory goes like this. Perhaps Marcel needs the challenge of the course to produce the extreme tipping angles and quick release edge changes, thereby engaging the rest of the skills that we enjoy seeing.

Let's not derail your thread, but I don't agree with your assessment of Marcel's recent carving video he posted.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video