Carvers MA

Re: Carvers MA

Postby RyanAllen » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:06 am

Hey Guys!

I've been re-reading the Essentials book, and really wanted to up the challenge for my tipping skills with the carvers. Here's a video update of the tipping exercises I used this morning. I found them to be difficult, especially the garland tipping, which was like the "target tipping" drill on page 69. As the book says, "Tipping is not about turning - it's about balancing" (page 34, underlined and highlighted!!). The drills really forced my attention on better counterbalancing.

My boot alignment has been a little frustrating of late. I backed off the shimming quite a bit under my left foot - I'm down to 0.5 degrees fat side in - after noticing some bowing and difficulty tipping onto my left BTE. My right leg also seems to move quicker even though I run more shim - 3 degrees presently. I'm wondering if I've actually made my cuff's too soft and might try cranking them outward just a bit. It's frustrating to troubleshoot on my own and I can't wait for my alignment appointment this winter.

Last, this was my first time on a set of Labeda's - the Asphalt Grippers. Same color as previous wheels, but a rounder profile and a little softer at 85a vs. 89a. I dunno, they're nice, but not mind blowing. Probably smoother to tip than the sharper, pointy profile of the previous wheels.

Thanks for the feedback and comments!

-Ry
RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:32 pm

Overkill possibly, but I wasn't satisfied with yesterday's session. The alignment of my left didn't look quite right with some bowing while tipping to the BTE. So, I checked and remeasured everything this morning, from my footbeds, to cuff alignment, to boot sole shims. Made a few more changes - softened my right boot cuff a bit, and removed the 0.5 shim under my left boot, just leaving the 3 degree shim under my right. It felt better, and I think it looks better too.

I warmed up with much of the same drills in the previous video, so this one skips to the main event - my first try at a cone course. Had some anxiety about trying this because of the risk of tripping and crashing, so I started with a short course and kept adding as my confidence grew. It was actually a ton of fun! Next time I'd like to build a course with more offset, further apart. Side note: course work was recommended to me as a way to practice turning where I have too, not necessarily where I want too.

The short turn challenge at the end was just me having some extra fun! Hope you enjoy! As always, I value and appreciate your comments and input!

-Ry
RyanAllen

Postby noobSkier » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:56 am

Beast. I agree with the alignment changes, results look positive. If I am nitpicking, I'd point to your right footers slightly drifting away when you get on that BTE. It's hard to say what the cause is because it's so minimal. I'd stick to this setup for a few weeks and stay mindful of the slight drift on the right footers. But this is great carving.
noobSkier

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:24 am

Fall is in the air here in Michigan. Colors are starting to turn up north and even near Grand Rapids. Reminds me very much of early season cyclocross but I have no desire to do that this year (6 seasons was enough). Was finally discharged from PT this week though minor issues, like IT band soreness, still persist. Getting older is going to be a pain in the @$$.

Here's a new video of my Sunday morning carver sesh. I'm really enjoying the course practice as a way to test my skills and poke holes in my carving. I try and show you my best stuff, but maybe a "blooper reel" would be fun sometime. There's plenty of material...

In Michigan, we're often on the snow before Thanksgiving. I would love to have a chance to see how much of my summer carving work transfers to the snow before heading for CO. One boot issue I realized of late is that the medial side of my ankle bones are much closer to the shell than the lateral sides. Sometimes they rub, too. I am hopeful this can be remedied by the experts at HSS.

RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:50 pm

Counteracting is fun!

RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:40 am

Weekend update!

RyanAllen

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video