Carvers MA

Re: Carvers MA

Postby h.harb » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:26 pm

https://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2020/07/httpsyoutu.html

I used my old yellow Head boots that I set up slightly more tipped in for Carvers. Click on the first link to my Blog for photos and descriptions.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:58 pm

Why do Harb Carvers work? This is not a skate or rollerblade that have the thin blade or wheels down the center under the foot. Skis don't have a center blade, skis have edges on either side which makes for a different dynamic. The biomechanics involved in tipping Harb Carvers is different from skates, skates fall over on their own. Harb Carvers and skis (if you want to carve turns) need to be tipped or lifted on one side and ridden on the other edge through a turn. This requires different skills. Also, you cannot twist, steer, or rotate your legs to make Harb Carvers work. The engagement action required for Carvers to arc and make a turn has to begin with the feet. The feeling is just like carving a clean arc on hard snow. Movements have to begin with the feet and ankles. We did years of testing with all types of skiers from World Cup racers, ski instructors to intermediates. The limitations of each individual's technique became immediately obvious on Harb Carvers. Some instructors were so frustrated they said the Carvers didn't work. I just had to sit back and watch as their frustration took them over. Carvers prove one thing, you either have carving ability or you twist/steer on snow, but you can't do the later on Carvers. If you are looking to take the real test about your skiing, try some Carvers. If you master them at some level you will surely improve your on-snow skiing capabilities. Skiing and ski instruction have many myths and false understandings, many are perpetrated by misconceptions in National teaching systems. One outing on Harb Carvers and you will discover if you are engaging a ski or twisting a ski. Even the slightest twisting action will bring tears to your eyes. There is no hiding from your movements on this tool they expose everything.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:21 pm

PSIA will never understand Harb Carvers because they are afraid to learn by getting on them. Sunken cost fallacy. The second they acknowledge they can't carve, or balance on Carvers they have to admit they were wrong about skiing all along. The longer they stay that way, the longer they have to admit they were wrong, so they just...won’t change.
h.harb

Postby RyanAllen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:21 pm

h.harb wrote:PSIA will never understand Harb Carvers because they are afraid to learn by getting on them. Sunken cost fallacy. The second they acknowledge they can't carve, or balance on Carvers they have to admit they were wrong about skiing all along. The longer they stay that way, the longer they have to admit they were wrong, so they just...won’t change.

Here's proof to your point - not that any was really needed.

And, bare hands, elbows, knees. Road rash would be the least of his concerns!
RyanAllen

Postby noobSkier » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:10 am

At least that up-move is consistent across all surfaces :lol:
noobSkier

Postby RyanAllen » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:25 am

I've had my hands full lately with my sporting pursuits. After about 4 weeks of my new fitness routine - less cycling more strength & plyo - I began having discomfort in one of my knees. I got right in to see a therapist and my issues were (painfully) obvious, also not surprising after 10 years of competitive cycling. My outer quads and IT bands are super tight, and my glut. medius' are weak and inflamed. We got after it and with just a single day of intense, painful therapy I'm feeling stronger. Goal is to have bullet proof knees and doing plyo a few times a week late summer and fall, and back on the SS mtb.

As for the carvers and skiing, addressing my physical issues should have a direct benefit. Those same glute muscles are definitely working to counterbalance. In the video below, I'm working on incorporating the great feedback I've gotten - transferring to my stance carver, mixing up my turns, and eliminating the double pole drag. Now, when I hear a pole dragging, it tells me I probably need more counter balancing. Unfortunately, what I'm not doing well is counterbalancing more with my hips (have been doing indoor hip-o-meters, more needed, but feel it's dangerous to do them carving). Right hand also stays high while left hand drops. Tipping angles weren't quite as strong but that was not my focus this time. I can also see a push creep back into my turns when I pick up the tempo - fudge! It was very warm and humid. I only had enough juice for about 30 minutes - avg HR of 151bpm and a max of 174bpm on the climbs. Let me know what you think!

RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:17 pm

Need to work on the camera aim, but I believe this might be the best venue I've ever seen! Asphalt so new you weren't allowed to even park on it! Smooth like powder sking. Probably about a 3% grade which took some pressure off from speed control so I upped the tempo, imagining myself clearing a flush of slalom gates. Ditched the double pole drag too.

Hope everyone is having a good summer.

RyanAllen

Postby noobSkier » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:33 pm

:o Man, your carvers progress is extraordinary...it will be fun to watch your progress on snow.
noobSkier

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video