Carvers MA

Re: Carvers MA

Postby RyanAllen » Sun May 24, 2020 7:21 am

Here's an update. The video quality isn't up to MA standards - forgot my Handycam :x - but at close range the image is okayer. After re-reading a few other MA threads, it seemed clear that the best approach is to focus on a SMIM. I believe mine is free foot management. This was also my focus during Short Turn Camp @ Welch. In this video I would rate my free foot management a "fail." Although I'm thinking about it while carving, it isn't happening soon enough and my free foot moves forward quickly and makes it difficult to reign back in. I am also still seeing a problem with my right stance foot where it "kicks" out and tilts in soon after my transitions. I would appreciate feedback to help me with these two issues (free foot management, right foot kick). How much of the right foot issue is alignment vs. technique? FYI, in this video I was running about 1 degree of canting on my left and 2 on my right. I am unsure whether my right boot cuff alignment is too soft or not. Once the right foot kick corrects around the middle of the turn I see fewer alignment issues. My legs are a tricky case because I have some tibial varum which makes me bowlegged while extending but slightly knock-knee'd while flexing which is what I have attempted to correct with under sole canting.

Last edited by RyanAllen on Wed May 27, 2020 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Wed May 27, 2020 5:44 am

I tried running my latest carver video above alongside a video of Diana on her carvers. Here are a few freeze frames which isolate how my SMIM (free foot mgmt) compares to an expert carver.

In this shot, early into our left turn, Diana has held her counteracting from the previous turn and is pulling her new free foot back - there is no leading. In my turn, my counter is less evident and my free foot is getting ahead of my stance foot.

Here I think is the payoff from Diana's free foot management - much greater tipping angles. It reminds me of the advice about tipping I've read before on the PMTS forum - "double it!" That's my goal for the summer, to pull my free foot back in exaggerated fashion and DOUBLE my tipping. Also I will try adding another degree of shimming under my right boot. It surprises me how much more help that leg seems to need vs my left leg.

I would appreciate feedback on the above comparisons.
RyanAllen

Postby noobSkier » Wed May 27, 2020 11:03 am

This video is alot better imo, although I disagree with your choice of stills. There is a decent amount of LTE tipping here on your left footers, right footers not so much plus there is over-rotation on that side. I think its pretty clear that there is a persistent alignment issue on the right footers (this does not necessarily translate to skis, carvers are much higher off the surface thus alignment can be slightly different). Keep in mind, that the cuff could also be the culprit here, it's not always the sole canting and usually the optimal configuration is a combination of the two.
noobSkier

Postby RyanAllen » Thu May 28, 2020 4:47 am

noobSkier wrote:...your choice of stills. There is a decent amount of LTE tipping here on your left footers, right footers not so much plus there is over-rotation on that side...

Fair point, and good observation. Here's a still comparison of my right footer - yuck!

I worked on my alignment yesterday, softening the right cuff just a little, and increasing the under sole canting. For my next video I will try and focus on addressing that issue more specifically. I am also working on starting my free foot pullback as early as possible, coinciding with the release. Not sure if that's too soon - have never read anything about that.
RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Fri May 29, 2020 5:24 pm

I feel a little silly posting here in the summer, but the Harb Carvers are a worthy pursuit and I want to hit the Short Turn Camp with some skills. This is a video update after adding a little more under sole canting to my right boot. Small change that seems to have helped quite a bit, and I might cant it just a tiny bit more.

Also revisiting the still shots above:

Here, I am trying to pull my free foot back earlier. The right pic is the update.

This is my comparison of tipping and right footer alignment. The right pic is the update - it's looking closer.

I know my carving could also be much smoother and I'm still kicking a little with the outside foot. I will work on that along with the free foot pull back and tipping. Anyone else carving this summer?
RyanAllen

Postby noobSkier » Fri May 29, 2020 7:46 pm

its a bit better, but you know what...after looking at it some more, I think it could also be footbed related. Seems like your right ankle just violently everts to the inside edge and of course the knee is going to follow. Its a bit unreasonable to have custom footbeds just for carvers, so one thing you can do is try to hold back that eversion by hanging on the LTE a little longer. Smoothly transition that right ankle from inversion to eversion...don't let it drop like an on/off switch. Analog control over your ankle tipping will pay huge dividends in your skiing.
noobSkier

Postby RyanAllen » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:45 am

I appreciate the feedback - especially during the forum quiet season! I'm glad you mentioned eversion and ankles. Coincidentally, this is something I began thinking about a few days ago after my initial experiences with my new slackline, especially while just balancing on a single foot. That thing is hyper sensitive to all movement and I soon realized my ankle balance skills are not so great! I think the slackline could be a game changer.

I've booked 2 carver sessions since my last video and have been working on ankle tipping - both inversion and eversion, trying to control it more, and delaying the release from the LTE on easier grades. Definitely a lot of upside / room for improvement! I also got a complete set of Cant Company strips for my carvers so I won't have to guess at how many degrees of canting I've done with my ghetto shims. I used 3 degrees right BTE and 1/2 degree left BTE with my new strips - then moved it up to 1 degree left BTE to get better balancing on single foot straight runs.

These are my Harb Carver goals for the 2020 off-season:
1) Able to perform PMTS skills, i.e., consistently link turns using observable release, transfer, and engage sequence of movements
2) Flexing release, free foot pull-back, sequential tipping and countering all become “semi-automatic”
3) Smooth feet - no abrupt separations or eversions, push offs, i.e., looks like I’m skiing
4) Progressive tipping skills including aggressive carving angles
5) Capable of handling steeper pitches without degradation of technique

This is ambitious but I can practice 3-4 times a week and get regular video too, so I'm aiming high! More video to follow... :)
RyanAllen

Postby oggy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:52 pm

RyanAllen wrote:I appreciate the feedback - especially during the forum quiet season! I'm glad you mentioned eversion and ankles. Coincidentally, this is something I began thinking about a few days ago after my initial experiences with my new slackline, especially while just balancing on a single foot. That thing is hyper sensitive to all movement and I soon realized my ankle balance skills are not so great! I think the slackline could be a game changer.

I also got one of those a few weeks ago. I found it extremely challenging the first time around, but the improvement's been pretty rapid. After doing it ~2x a week for 5-6 weeks I'm starting to think I might outgrow the 15 meter line I got soon...
oggy

Postby RyanAllen » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:44 pm

oggy wrote:I found it extremely challenging the first time around, but the improvement's been pretty rapid. After doing it ~2x a week for 5-6 weeks I'm starting to think I might outgrow the 15 meter line I got soon...

To me, that sounds impressive. I've been using my slackline 2-3x a week for a few weeks and can only manage four or five steps on about 15 foot of line. Kudo's!

Here's my latest installment of carvers video. I've been working on balancing on my free foot LTE during transitions, and trying to incorporate the phantom move to get more balance onto the stance foot at the beginning of my turns. I think that helps some of the knee dive. It looks like I'm stomping my free foot down too harshly. I'll try adding another 0.5 degree to my right boot canting next. At 3.5 & 1.0 in the video, right and left. I found a fantastic hill with super smooth asphalt, about 4% grade and little traffic. No zooming or panning this time - video was shot using a tripod. Feedback appreciated!

RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:03 am

Update!

RyanAllen

Postby noobSkier » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:21 pm

Right footers look alot better, tipping progressive. I would focus on the transition at this point, it looks a bit jerky and delayed at times...after that pick up the pace.
noobSkier

Postby RyanAllen » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:30 am

I am learning a lot about self-study through this process. While it feels a bit like overkill, I have incorporated video into most of my hill sessions. Rewatching in slow mo with pauses seems to help zero in where needed. My early YouTube carving video's are hard to watch and I might remove or create a progression video later in the year. I take a moment to write a few notes after carving, then compare those thoughts to what I see in the video and write new progression ideas. The switch to cork footbeds was also a big, big help. In this update, I'm on my cork beds which I've posted for calcaneal angle correction, and was able to dial back my under boot canting by 0.5 on each side.

I'm really going to try and focus on using offseason carving to get my technique up to PMTS Green Accred standard, and right now my SMIM is to "Release consistently using the old stance leg and foot as the initiators." I'm not 100% consistent with releasing using the old stance leg first, but I feel that my feet and legs are getting better in general. I want to try and get to 100% before tackling a new SMIM, but next might be to work on my pole plant again. For this video I am dragging my poles and pushing the baskets to try and set my upper body coordination on auto-pilot to focus on my feet and tipping. This was assisted greatly by learning to look down and watch my tipping on my weaker side (right footers). When I first started looking down I realized I was not tipping my left free foot nearly as much as I thought, but I was able to increase the tipping using visual feedback. Now I'm trying to look less and see if I can tip aggressively by feeling my feet and tipping (torquing) with my arches.

Side note, wheel quality matters! In this video I was on a new pair of 5th Element wheels and they wore all the way down by the last run and got really sketchy. I was skidding a bit and some of my turns were getting rough. If anyone has wheel recommendations please opine. I will probably go back to Rollerblade brand wheels which have lasted over 30 sessions.

Feedback is appreciated!
RyanAllen

Postby RyanAllen » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:55 pm

Another update. Discovered basic video editing like removing that horrid sound of dragging my poles. Replaced with free YouTube music. Trying to work on more counterbalancing, or at least enough to allow for greater tipping angles. Starting to destroy wheels routinely. Might try a higher durometer like the Labeda Asphalt Grippers. Also, I need to work on free foot pull-back at the beginning of my turns. It seems to sneak forward from time to time. Hope everyone is having a good summer and thinking about skiing!

RyanAllen

Postby Robert0325 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:32 pm

I do like your technique.
Unfortunately I’m not qualified to give you any advice, but just curious how you get back up the hill? Do you have friend that drives you up or are you just super fit and skate up?
Robert0325

Postby RyanAllen » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:06 am

I just skate back up the hill but edit that out of the videos. It's a great workout and I highly recommend it for conditioning. After about a decade of racing bikes I'm retooling my fitness this year to be a more well-rounded athlete, but my cardio fitness is still probably my strength. These carvers demand some intensity, even when heading down the hill my HR doesn't completely recover from the climbs. Image of my data from my Garmin Vivoactive HR watch and chest strap from my full Saturday morning session.

Thanks for commenting and best to you!
RyanAllen

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video