MA request for noobSkier

Re: MA request for noobSkier

Postby h.harb » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:17 am

Thanks, HH, I'm so honored to be on your blog :

You are welcome, this a great study in movement analysis because there are many subtle things happening that affect the end result. In ski racing, these little misses result in huge problems. In freeskiing, they are barely noticeable by all skies. When you compare the edge change in transition from skier to skier, that is where most of the movements that are lacking show up.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:49 am

noobSkier wrote:Ill make your suggested changes to my alignment and try to fix my movements.

Have you made any changes to your boots or footbeds in the last year?
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:08 am

Max_501 wrote:Have you made any changes to your boots or footbeds in the last year?

Ok, time to come clean :P I have a good relationship with my local ski shop, so they pretty much do any boot work for me without asking twice. I've read the alignment manual several times so I guess I'm not entirely clueless about the process. I know that i'm quite knock-kneed so my reasoning was that I'd start with a significant outwards cant and work my way down. Last season I got the shop to cant my soles 3deg outwards, and suddenly I was finding that I could lock and edge without falling to the inside of the turn (edge-locked - 1 is the first example). This season I've discovered that I can still lock an edge at 2deg outwards cant, but its more taxing on my flexibility. Currently my setup is 2.5deg outwards on each boot. Footbeds haven't changed.

Im going to change the right boot to 1.5deg (or 2deg) in accordance to HH's suggestion.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:12 am

noobSkier wrote:Footbeds haven't changed.

What are you using for footbeds?
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:16 am

Im still using these: https://www.theinsolestore.com/birkenstock-birkosport-arch-support-insoles.html

It looks like stiff cork, but its more like a rubber. I can compress the arch all the way down, and It seems like they don't prevent eversion.
noobSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:21 am

noobSkier wrote:Ok, time to come clean :P I have a good relationship with my local ski shop, so they pretty much do any boot work for me without asking twice.

Weren't you just recently at HSS in January? Someone I know thought they may have crossed paths with you.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby noobSkier » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:33 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:
noobSkier wrote:Ok, time to come clean :P I have a good relationship with my local ski shop, so they pretty much do any boot work for me without asking twice.

Weren't you just recently at HSS in January? Someone I know thought they may have crossed paths with you.

I wish! I ski all the time, but with my business Im a bit tied down to my locality.
noobSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:38 am

noobSkier wrote:I wish! I ski all the time, but with my business Im a bit tied down to my locality.

Bummer! I thought you had been there recently. Where's your home mountain/shop?
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby noobSkier » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:18 am

I ski in the Laurentiens. Mostly Mont Tremblant, St Saveur and Mont Ste Marie.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:58 pm

noobSkier wrote:Currently my setup is 2.5deg outwards on each boot.

When you get a chance post a pic of the cants they installed.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:27 pm

Max_501 wrote:When you get a chance post a pic of the cants they installed.

Here is what they did (left boot). Its a 1.5deg and 1deg cantology plate sandwiched together by a 3mm lift.

noobSkier

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:48 am

That is more than 1.5 in that photo. It's a messy job, you could order our canting soles, which are more accurate and you can switch and replace them yourself.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:53 am

I have heard nothing about what you noticed with where your tipping movements should begin. Do you see where my skis are tipping on edge relative to your angles in the arc in the "High C"? Do you ski at Tremblant? If so, do you know Bob McClellan, also known as McDuff? He's an old CSIA guy that used to coach. I've known him since 1968.
h.harb

Postby noobSkier » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:36 pm

h.harb wrote:That is more than 1.5 in that photo. It's a messy job, you could order our canting soles, which are more accurate and you can switch and replace them yourself.

Yea, you are right...its a messy job. Ill shoot you guys an email about getting some quality plates, thanks!

h.harb wrote:I have heard nothing about what you noticed with where your tipping movements should begin. Do you see where my skis are tipping on edge relative to your angles in the arc in the "High C"?

I can tell from the comparison images that your tipping/flexing/pullback is one fluid motion which allows you to achieve those early angles in the high-c. In my skiing, it looks like I'm treating the flexing and tipping as two separate entities, so inevitably the tipping happens way too late. Im doing this: "ok, Im done flexing...pause...time to start tipping"; that pause is where I'm using a non-PMTS movement to compensate for lack of early edge angle. Is this more or less correct?

h.harb wrote:Do you ski at Tremblant? If so, do you know Bob McClellan, also known as McDuff? He's an old CSIA guy that used to coach. I've known him since 1968.

Its a pretty busy hill these days and I keep to myself mostly. Ill ask around and see if I can find him!
noobSkier

Postby h.harb » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:35 am

Well said it's important to verbalize or express your movements and acknowledge them. It resets and opens the mind to learning.
h.harb

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video