Hi C question for Harald

PMTS Forum

Postby davidpjr » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:56 pm

AND, P.S. Harald hit one thing on the head that had been bothering me. When I get tired and sloppy and let that free leg get further away from the stance leg, horizontally, I start to love the carve and the edge. When I force them back together, everything seems to fall into place again.

David P.
david pennington
davidpjr

Postby Sidney » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:49 am

Hi Harald & PMTS skiers,

I've been trying to get this high C thing going but I'm finding it hard to commit to the new edge before changing direction, in the back of my mind I'm always thinking i will topple over if i change the edge first. In fact i did today.

What excercises are there that i can practice to help me get through the mental barrier of thinking i might fall over engaging the hich C?

Thanks.

Regards,
Sidney
Sidney

Postby milesb » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:50 am

I'd say the best one is where you are standing still on a very shallow slope. Put your skis on their downhill edges while counterbalancing with your upper body. The key is coordinating the two movements. If you can't do it, go to a shallower slope. If you can do it, go to a slightly steeper slope. BTW, this is really hard to do!
Now realize that when you are skiing, you will seldom have to put the skis on their downhill edges when they are all the way across the fall line.
This makes it easier. The forward momentum will also help. I usually lift my new free ski a bit while doing this to keep from falling onto it. I also have to really concentrate on pulling the free foot back at this time so that the stance tip really engages and makes the turn positively happen.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

High C

Postby davidpjr » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:52 pm

Certainly, hitting the high c early throws you into the turn and is pretty scary at first but the more you practice his drills the easier it gets and the braver you get.
david pennington
davidpjr

Postby Sidney » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:01 am

Thanks Miles, I did gave that a go today. I think I'll have to do more before i get confident enougn to do it at speed.

I think I "may" have done the edge change before direction change once or twice on a few turns, I definately felt the ski engage early and it went right through the turn. Though I may be way off the mark, I'll need to get some footage taken.

It's not as easy as it sounds this whole High C thing but i can see that it would be an awesome skill to have on the mountain.
Sidney

Postby milesb » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:26 am

The speed makes it much easier.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Feet first

Postby Harald » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:49 pm

The answer is counter balance in transition and tip your feet onto their edges before you move your hip into the new arc.

New edge angles are born while the skis are under the hip, not by pushing the skis out to the side.

I think getting big body angles, and hip close to the ground, has userped the need and emphasis on foot tipping. You can't get the first without the second part.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Postby Ken » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:30 pm

Primary Movements

The movements of the feet are primary. Movements of the rest of the body are secondary.

Ken
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Re: Feet first

Postby Sidney » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:05 am

Thanks Harald,

I "definatley" need to be counter balancing more, and concentrating on moving my feet first. I got some stills and movies taken of me today and I'm amazed how little I actually was counter balancing. I thought I was doing it alot.

I did get a few early transitions going for the high C (which felt great) and also a few falls when I got ahead of mself and pushed off the new stance foot when I shouldnt have.

I only have another 3 days of skiing and alot to try out before I head home.

Cheers,
Sidney

Harald wrote:The answer is counter balance in transition and tip your feet onto their edges before you move your hip into the new arc.

I think getting big body angles, and hip close to the ground, has userped the need and emphasis on foot tipping. You can't get the first without the second part.
Sidney

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System