It's the release stupid!!

PMTS Forum

Postby -- SCSA » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:57 am

Hi Bluey,

Jeff Markham talked about "collapsing the stance leg". I've heard HH talk about this too. I've always been confused about flexing versus collapsing. I think HH prefers to use the word collapse.

Hmm.

Yesterday I tried this and didn't have as much luck. When I tried to collapse my stance foot, it just didn't feel as good as flexing the stance foot. I ended up putting too much pressure on the front of the ski, just didn't feel right.

What I do is flex. When I'm getting ready to release, I first balance on the little toe side of my old free foot. I then relax my stance foot, flex it up towards my chest, then start tipping it over.

How does this compare to what you all do?

I made the release my focus towards the end of last year -- so far it's my primary focus this year. I'm also spending more time on the side, doing the release drills.

It's tricky.

When I'm skiing tougher terrain and not feeling it, it's always because my release is off. I'm either stemming a bit to start the new turn, hopping, or a combination of both. But when I release to start the turn, keeping my skis on the ground, no matter the terrain or conditions, that's when I'm feeling it.

But sometimes I feel like I'm doing an up move, when releasing -- flexing my old stance leg up to my chest. When this happens, I try to think about flexing and tipping at the same time. If I flex and tip at the same time, my CM flows moves down the fall line nicely. I still seem to do ok when flexing, then tipping, but the turn always feels better when I flex and tip at the same time.

I can get a nice release on blue runs, or even black runs that aren't too bumpy or steep. But once the terrain gets tougher, that's when my release -- at times -- feels like 2 separate moves. Is this what you all experience?

Speaking of which, off to the Big Show. I'll be thinking about the release!

Be cool,
-- SCSA

Postby Bluey » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:14 pm

BigE,
For me, and probably yourself too, the release isn't like a milestone/event in a turn..... but/therefore, for me, the continuos tipping ( CT ) throughout all of the turn is one of my external cues to get me to the point where I am ready to release. So, yes, better Edging is one of the outcomes of CT.... but CT also helps my timing.....

For example, if, say I'm on a steep, and for a particular turn, I want to step onto the LTE to start my release, then, I don't want to rush this part and mis-time my release. Knowing that I have been consciously continuosly tipping the inside ski throughout all of the turn, and not just to start the top of previous turn, means the ski edge angle should be at the right/optimal angle to execute the first part of this next release/move.....then the timing for the rest of the release follows......

So for me, continuos tipping does achieve better edge angles but its also an external cue to ensure I don't get into a position whereby I'm forced to rush the next release.......as others often say.....turns aren't discrete events but continuos flowing actions....if I can keep my mind relaxed and focusing on the big picture of what I'm trying to do, then I trust in my body/muscle memory to look after the smaller picture stuff whilst I'm skiing......

My only other point, very minor point, in respect to your comment, and I trust you wont think I'm being picky here, is that , yes continuos tipping works/impacts the edge angles of Both skies but I would choose the word Optimimse (... in relation to the angle of the slope) and not necessarily Maximise the edge angles....I'm sure you meant the same thing.....

Enough said from me. HH's article says it all properly.

Bluey
Bluey

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System