Are my skis holding me back?

PMTS Forum

Postby RadRab » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:16 pm

Bs"D

Will do Max, but don't forget that those words are not mine. I was quoting Harald.
When HH says that he tired from them after 3 runs and his knees hurt, that scares me off.
But, I now have come full circle and will try them just for powder to compare to my 8800s.
RadRab

size does matter

Postby Harald » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:22 pm

Ken you are right, I bend the ski more than anyone at my all mountain camp. I looked down on the first day and my skis were the shortest and narrowest in the group and on that day I was on my 170cm iM72.

Next day I went to a SS, 170cm.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Postby RadRab » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:36 pm

Bs"D

I can second the idea.
I am pretty strong and probably have 30lbs! on Harald, but use just the same 170cm SS.
RadRab

Postby JohnMoore » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:39 am

Ken wrote:And, think small. Harald, not a heavy guy but a very strong skier, uses 170s. Unless you're much bigger, stronger, and heavier than he is, go shorter.

Yes, I was planning to go for 160s. My current Atomics are 170cm. My girlfriend appears to be a much better skier than me, but I like to blame it on the equipment :D . She skis pretty much the same ski (actually BetaRide 9.20 instead of 9.22), but in 160cm not 170cm, and she is not far short of me in weight (she doesn't read this forum, otherwise I wouldn't dare write that). I keep meaning to give her skis a go some time, just to see what difference the 10cm makes.

Notwithstanding what HH says, I really do need just one pair of do-it-all skis, so I'm interested in the best compromise (appreciating it is a compromise). I pretty well always fly to the resorts, not drive, so unless I am going to rent skis each time (expensive and a hassle), I want a single pair of skis which work on the piste but also allow me the occasional off-piste excursion without hobbling my chances of success.
JohnMoore

Postby Ken » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:35 am

I really do need just one pair of do-it-all skis,

http://www.head.com/ski/products.php?re ... ing&id=212
http://www.head.com/ski/products.php?re ... ide&id=109
http://www.head.com/ski/products.php?re ... ide&id=234

Also maybe Atomic izor 9:7; Nordica suv 12.1; maybe Volkl AC2. Suggestions taken from Peter Keelty's TechSupportforSkiers.com

Ken
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby JohnMoore » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:42 am

Is it possible to deduce a kind of rule-of-thumb for PMTS-suitable skis from this? E.g.:

Maximum waist width of 72mm

Maximum turn radius of 15 metres
JohnMoore

Pick what works not the hype

Postby Harald » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:49 am

You can?t compare an Atomic 920 or 922 to a Super Shape or iSL. The Super Shape is twice the all around ski than any Atomic. I don?t like the way Atomic?s bend. They hold great, but they do not go into the turn without some extra cozying. The Super Shape is 66mm under foot, wider than a slalom, but with the same radius. This means the whole ski is wider. Atomics are now too wide even though they are carving skis. The Metron is 72mm yet something about its stiffness makes it jumpy and unstable and hard to manage, especially if you are not an expert tuner. A Super Shape you can ski right out of the wrapper. I compare our clients skiing on all these products. I select the skis that work best for our skiers when I endorse a product. I can see when people are struggling and I think skiers on Atomic have more difficulty balancing and learning with ease.
Harald

Re: Pick what works not the hype

Postby JohnMoore » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:54 am

Harald, are there any other skis you like at the moment? I am going to Switzerland in a couple of weeks and will try out some skis there. I didn't see any Head stuff in the resort last time I was there, though (last March). Do you still like Elans?
JohnMoore

Head and Nordica coming strong

Postby Harald » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:09 am

Nordica is the coming ski in the future, we will be testing it for the next season. Salomon is losing ground, so is Rossingnol, it looks like Austrian skis, which includes Nordica, are making the comeback. One of our Canadian coaches is sponsored by Nordica. He skis on their soft SL ski. He skis very well and seems to ski every condition with the same ease we do on our Head skis.
Harald

Postby JohnMoore » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:14 am

Thanks for the tips. I thought Nordica were Italian (the sports division of Benetton, at least originally), but it's a confusing world. Head's an Austrian company but Head boots are Italian, so clearly the reverse happens with skis!
JohnMoore

Confusing

Postby Harald » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:12 pm

Head is owned by one man, in a consortium, Nordica skis are really made in the old Kastle factory and Benetton sold Nordica a few years ago to Tecnica. We do not like Tecnica boots, but we like Nodica boots, they are completely different, go figure. Now K2 owns Volkl and Volkl and Tecnica are together.
Harald

Postby JohnMoore » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:55 pm

Harald, do you have a precise model name for those Nordica skis your Canadian coach likes? I can't find anything uniquely matching the description of "soft SL ski" in Nordica's range.
JohnMoore

No name

Postby Harald » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:03 pm

I'm not sure, but I can find it. It is a 12 to 13 meter radius SL, with a cap construction, black with the big red "N" on it. I'm not up on the Nordica line right now, but I will be by the end of the month.
Harald

Re: No name

Postby JohnMoore » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:13 pm

Thanks! It sounds like it might be the Dobermann Pro SL:

http://www.nordica.com/ski/scheda.php?s=1&target=188

Or perhaps the Speedmachine 14.1:

http://www.nordica.com/ski/scheda.php?s=2&target=192
JohnMoore

Doberman SC

Postby Harald » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:41 pm

I checked the site and the skis, it is the Doberman SC