For PMTS folks

PMTS Forum

For PMTS folks

Postby Mr. M » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:24 pm

Hi guys,

I was following the new topic on the epic forum named ?For PMTS folks?. They are talking about HH two footed release short turn exercise. The amusing part is that some of these great coaches have not read the books.

I guess Americans just don?t read books.
Mr. M

I read the "for PMTS" on Epic

Postby Carvlust » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:55 am

From what I can gather Wig has it figured best and closest to what Mr. Harb is achieving with this exercise. I have read HH?s books and taken lessons from him. I am a life long skier, during which I have experienced many ski techniques offered over four decades.

I am surprised many the coaches on Epic (especially the ones who are often most critical) have not read Mr. Harb's books and yet they feel free to openly criticize PMTS and the methodology. That's like explaining why you don't like a certain ski without skiing on it. Their motives are rather suspicious.

About the exercise:
HH uses various, what may seem to many as established exercises, but he has his own way of introducing them, in an original way. He uses different and original mechanics. Even if the exercise looks like old technique, he has his own description and analysis of what an exercise is supposed to produce for modern skiing. At times he gets to your goals in what may seem like a round about way, but in the end his methods produce effective, long lasting changes. His methods definitely gave me access to skiing movements that incorporate shaped ski design.

When HH introduced the ?Two footed Release? exercise to me there was no mention of rotation or leg twisting. The cues I got were, flatten the lower ski, follow with the upper ski, keep tilting the lower ski until it is angled to the slope and follow with the upper ski (which becomes the outside ski). Pole and arm use are part of the exercise and help you to gain a sense of the lower body doing things differently from the upper body.

Two footed release, has become my warm up exercise, as it encompasses so many important elements I need to ski well. I was told to hold approximately four to six inches of space between my boots, so I could feel each ski and edge reacting to tipping. HH does this exercise without pivoting or skidding his skis. After practicing for a season, I can come close at times.

There are numerous ways to accomplish this turn, but HH is very specific and accurate about the proper movements. The benefits I realized were, learning patience in transition, balance and body control, foot use for releasing and edging, and initiating short turns without pushing my tails back up the slope. During my practice sessions, I learned that I was trying to push off at the end of my short turns. The exercise changed the way I release. I now try to flex my legs at the bottom of turns to begin the transition.

HH explains this very clearly. This exercise is to be done slowly with a premium on balance. It is my experience and understanding that many tenets of PMTS, like free foot release/tipping, and early balance transfer without twisting can be achieved with practice using the ?Two footed release?.
Carvlust

Lover not fighter

Postby guest » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:37 pm

I like to cruise the internet looking at skiing sites for information and news about skiing. I must congratulate you folks for the logical informative friendly discussions. I visited the Epic site and I can?t understand what they are talking about half the time. This Mr. Harb who wrote the PMTS system has got them running all over trying to figure out how and what he is doing. I don?t know if he planned that way but he?s got them on the run.

Postby Bluey » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:37 am

Guest,

Have you visited the Harb systems website and looked at the lessons being offered there or even better, have you had any actual on-snow experience of PMTS by a qualified PMTS instructor??

In both cases, if you had, you wouldn't go back to the Trad. Teaching Systems....well that's my experience.....

If you're like me, you've been there, done that, and found the TTS's didn't work......... to quote an old fairytale......"the king isn't wearing any clothes" ....the jigs up on TTS's .....it's now only a matter of time....an idea has found it's time........as they say in the movies..........leave the Dark Side and join us .....dial up the fun factor , buckle your seat belts....find a PMTS instructor and change your life....

Ooops !!! ...got a bit carried away there......

Best go.....got a big weekend ahead......

.....I'll be bock!

Bluey

And remember.....last one down's a dirty snowball !!!
Bluey

Postby gravity » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:00 pm

Okay, you're all very intelligent folk. Or at least I'll make that a premise because I feel it safe to say.

If you laud the PMTS system by constantly comparing its superiority to PSIA then you'll end up in mediocrity. Great things always stand alone. Always.

I've taken the time to learn some of the principles of PMTS. I've watched Diane and Harold ski. I believe there are fantastic things a-foot with PMTS. I also think that your negative remarks regarding traditional ski instruction are very generalized without supporting data. It makes PMTS look ghetto and for all of you who participate... you look like goons.

Listen, I'm a paying customer! You wanna know the truth? Here it is.
gravity

Postby gravity » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:21 pm

http://realskiers.com/pmtsforum/viewtopic.php?t=62

Here, Harald asks you guys to keep it positive. What gives? Positive vibes please.
gravity

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System