Tips for keeping beginners out of the back seat

PMTS Forum

Tips for keeping beginners out of the back seat

Postby Ron » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:29 pm

I was trying to get some good drills to help a 13 year old who is just beginning to link turns to keep forward in his stance and out of the back seat. He just can't seem to get forward and skids his turns. He has difficulty in speed control because of it.

Thanks!
Ron

Postby Bluey » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:09 pm

Ron,

I noticed no one had responded to your request as yet........could I suggest that possibly its not just drills you need to look at.
Has his Aligment been assessed?
Footbeds?
Has his ski Boots been assessed?

In addition, might I suggest that maybe people need to know a little more about your 13 year old in order to give some advice on drills, for example :
I get the feeling he has only just begun skiing.
How long has he been skiing for?
Is he a confidence skier?
Does he have any basic Poles skills to assist with his balance?
Does he have good Upper Body coordination?
How Narrow is his stance throughout the turn?
How balanced is he as a one-footed skier? Or does he still rely on a two- footed approach to maintain his balance?
How good is his Release at the begining of the turn?

Bluey
Bluey

Postby jclayton » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:26 pm

Ron,
how about the basic phantom move , done one by one with support from the downhill pole . If you haven't read the books try the PMTS link here .
A big consideration is always , how receptive is he to your teaching , is he interested in drills or do you have to "sugar the pill"

J.C
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby Bluey » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:42 am

Ron,

J. C. giving you some great advice here.....

It's a good suggestion by J.C. to visit the Harb ski system website as there are a lot of the PMTS lessons for green-slopers there which are really easy to follow.
Try:
http://www.harbskisystems.com/lessonindex.htm

If nothing else, the phantom move is the bread and butter of PMTS and , as HH says, even if you don't do it well, you'll still get immediate and postive results......

I think the advice of sugar-coating is a pretty good tactic......I found kids will give you all they're got if you are meeting Their needs, treat them with respect and keep the fun-level dialled up..... and what could be more fun than skiing!!.......

Good luck with the 13 year old.

Bluey
Bluey

Postby Erik/BigE » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:18 am

Telling the poor guy merely to stay forward doesn't help. He knows he is not forward enough, since he's riding the tail, and feels out of control.

Tell him that when he sinks into the turn, that his shoulders should remain lined up over his toe pieces. At least that will give him a target to know how far forward he should be....

Hope this helps!
Erik/BigE

Postby Bluey » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:29 am

Ron,

Erik has a good point ....my only comment would be that if you align the shoulders as a point reference to the toes then make sure you don't over pressure the fronts of the ski boots....rather try to contract the hamstrings so that you draw back the feet/ski boots under the body and the pressure/Centre of Mass/weight is stacked directly downwards thru to the centre of the stance foot.

Bluey
Bluey

Postby JohnMoore » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:57 am

Bluey wrote:....rather try to contract the hamstrings so that you draw back the feet/ski boots under the body and the pressure/Centre of Mass/weight is stacked directly downwards thru to the centre of the stance foot.

I've heard this before, but I'm not sure how one goes about contracting one's hamstrings. Is there another way of expressing this, or is there something obvious I can do which necessarily contracts the hamstrings, so I know what the feeling is.

JM
JohnMoore

Postby BigE/Erik » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:46 am

Sure, just tell him to line up his shoulders, but don't lean on the front of the boot. He'll figure it out from there -- it's not rocket science. ;)
BigE/Erik

Postby Bluey » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:39 am

John,

I'm not sure how to express it another way.......but Erik is right, its easy enough to do on the slopes....

However, a simple way to experience this at home right now is to simply sit upright on your chair but place your butt towards the front edge of the chair with your feet lightly touching the floor.....

then slowly pull the feet back under your chair, sliding your feet along the floor as you bring them towards the chair.
You should be able to feel the hamstring muscles contract ( as well as the muscles in the lower leg)....

to me its kinda feels like squeezing the hamstring muscles and a pulling back feeling.

Bluey
Bluey

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System