Fore/aft balance

PMTS Forum

Postby jclayton » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:43 am

Hacing spent a couple of years reading the texts and forums there seems to be a general misconception that PMTS doesn't allow any flexibility/variety in its approach .
As someone who has battled for years with fore/aft balance problems ( most of which I didn't even know I had them ) it has been important to try and get control of this aspect . I used to see Tomba accelerate out of his turns on his tails and think that this was the way to do it all the time . Much later it was pointed out to me that I was starting all turns in the back seat .
So a certain "rigidity" for me has been and will be for a while I think necessary .
However , as with any learning system, once the basis has been absorbed
you can them go out and play/break the rules . Harald has mentioned on various occaisions plying with this fore/aft balance buy only at an advanced level I think .
My efforts at acheiving fore/aft balnce have actually increased my awareness of many other aspects such as countering , pole use etc .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby milesb » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:07 am

No Rick, the rigidity is in the movements. Any turn that results from use of these movements is a "PMTS turn". I have to admit that I was surprised by what I could do with skis after spending a whole season trying to only use these movements. Especially when I explored how each movement affects the others.
As you know, there is seldom any use in free skiing to use what I assume you mean as leveraging the tails. Just enough pressure on the tails to keep them from washing out at the end of the turn, if desired. Since I don't race, I can't answer any applications for that. However, we do use leveraging of the tips frequently by pulling the new inside ski back when starting a turn on steeper slopes or in bumps.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Re: Fore/aft balance

Postby Mike C » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:05 pm

You did it again Rick. You attempt to create discussion through a completely patronizing post. Remembering some posts you made over on Epic regarding PMTS, vs. what you have unsuccessfully tried to portray here, I feel it necessary to interpret your post. For those not aware, here are some of Rick's opinions of PMTS as posted at Epic:

Originally Posted by Rick

So much learning in skiing strives to reach high branches on rickety ladders. Foundations and versatility get sacrificed. In fact some competing instructional models discourage it by pitting one model against the other. HH comes to mind vividly.

Skiers leave these programs with an image of only one turn, one transition, one balance platform, as "correct", and thus their destiny is somewhat set. Skiers really don't comprehend how much going back to the blues and expanding their skill base can help them on the blacks.

I will begin translation:

Rick wrote:So, continuing to explore this PMTS thing;

Translated: In my further attempt to show you how much I know.

Rick wrote: My understanding of PMTS so far is that the vision of a proper turn is very ridged. Is that correct?

Translated: I know all I need to about PMTS. PMTS was developed by a raging meglomaniac who's patrons are mindless automatons. The system is so elementary and lacks any versatility whatsoever.

Rick wrote: Does that rigidity hold true with fore/aft balance too?

Translated: Are you just as stupid and stubborn on this area as well?

Rick wrote: Specifically, does your model of an efficient turn have any flexibility in regard to fore/aft pressure application through the turning cycle?

Translated: All you idiots really ski the same regardless of terrain or conditions, since your Supreme Potentate does not allow any versatility or freedom of style.

Rick wrote: Is it centered all the time, do you guys utilize the potential benefits of the tip and tail, or do you apply what's needed on a situational basis?

Translated: Do you people even know how to use your equipment? Oh you probably don't even know the tip from the tail. I'm not really interested in your answer anyways, I'm just waiting to tell you how much I know and why you are wrong.

Rick wrote: Thanks.

Translated: Idiots.
Mike C

Postby milesb » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:20 am

Rick, we believe Harald when he says that if something was beneficial to skiing, he would teach it to us. We believe him when he tells us that helping people ski better is his life's work. Your posts on Epic and here seem to indicate that you believe he is a fraud.
If you truly want to explore PMTS, Harald has published enough material that answers questions like you have been asking. But to really answer your questions, I suggest you try using only PMTS movements in ALL your skiing. Someone like you should only need a few days to get it down. Then give us a report.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

thank you for the translation

Postby Harald » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:48 pm

Mike, thanks for the translation. I guess I gave that guy far too much credit for sincerity and the benefit of the doubt for far too long. It won't happen again. Yours is one of the best posts I've read.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System