race exercises....

PMTS Forum

race exercises....

Postby tommy » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:03 am

The other day, I was watching while the kids at the local ski club's racing section had their training. They did a couple of exercises, on a race course, that looked interesting:

first, they left their poles, and did the GS course with their hands on their knees. Then, the next exercise they did, was to do the same GS course, still without poles, but now at each turn, keeping the inside arm straight, pointing down the fall line, while keeping the outside (downhill) arm pressed towards the hip.

Later on, I tried these exercises, and was quite surprised over how effective they felt; it enabled quite good edging on a fairly steep and icy slope. However, I also noticed that I was forced into a wider stance than I normally use.

Anyone having any experiences with these exercises ?

--Tommy
tommy

Quality training

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:06 pm

Tommy, two of the most effective race or skiing exercises I found over the years coaching are, one ski skiing without poles, little toe edge finish and beginning to a turn, and pushing the inside (strong arm) hand through the turn. There are countless more, but they require a close watch to assure the quality of execution, by a qualified coach. These exercises can be built up to gradually.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System