The importance of proper pole use

PMTS Forum

The importance of proper pole use

Postby -- SCSA » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:51 am

I sent a picture to HH and he noticed my hands weren't right which was true. I wasn't paying attention to "Two knuckles up." HH also reminded me of something that's very important as well:

"The pole tips should never fall behind your heal piece."

So these two points:
"Two knuckles up."
"The pole tips should never fall behind your heal piece."

Plus this one:
"Never let your pole tips hit the ground."

Really got my poles going! Here's what's interesting. I've been watching skiers the past few trips out. I haven't seen one, that doesn't drag their poles. I've seen very few, if any, that keep the pole tips in front of their heal piece.

Dragging your poles or letting them hit the ground creates negative force, knocking your hands back -- knocking you back. I don't care if you're only dragging your pole just a little -- even if you drag your pole a little, it forces your balance back. Never do anything, that sets you in the back seat! I see so many skiers, particularly in powder or powder chop, that drag their poles. It's throwing them back and screwing them up. Don't do it!

================
Keep those poles off of the ground!
You should always be skiing with two knuckles up.
Never let the pole tips fall behind the heal piece.
=================

If you just follow, "Two knuckles up"and "Never let the pole tips fall behind the heal piece", your hands will be where they ought to be. Then just think, "Don't let your pole tip touch the snow."

Poles are way important. Anyone who sez they're not doesn't know diddly.

If you follow these three ideas about polling -- they're PMTS -- you'll ski with an aggressive look. But best of all, your balance will be better, which means your turnz will be better.

"Be cool -- drive a small car"
-- SCSA

Postby Erik » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:23 am

Yes, the pole tips should never be behind the heel. Stops you from getting "in the back seat". This was the first thing that was taught at my daughter's Nancy Greene League race camp. FYI: The Nancy Greene League is for 7-10 year olds.
Erik

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System