Classic Threads Section

PMTS Forum

Classic Threads Section

Postby John Mason » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:38 pm

The 30 day thread wipe out is not turned on. I'm waiting for a call back from Peter to see what that is about. In any case, it does bring up a nice idea. Truely interesting threads like Jay's video analysis are the type of thread that once they have run their course are great to have 'retired' in an easy to browse area. Thus I've created a new section called Classic Threads.

If anyone has a candidate for Classic Threads just PM me and I'll move them over. I think the current one about the history of the Phantom Move will be another good one once it's run it's course.
John Mason

Postby milesb » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:06 pm

if you do move threads to that section, please don't edit them in any way.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

That's the plan

Postby John Mason » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:26 pm

The classic section is a snippet of actual history. Like the moderation approach - it's a wide highway to allow maximum discourse thus maxiumum learning.
John Mason

Postby Max_501 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:53 pm

Why do threads need to have an expiration time period?
Max_501

They don't from my point of view

Postby John Mason » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:21 pm

While I'm the current acting custodian of this forum it's still Peter's realskier's hoster hosting it and HH's forum. I checked the pruning settings after I read HH's post this morning about 30 day pruning and pruning in general is not even turned on.

The total size of the forum is quite small. It may be that they are being charged for bandwidth use in a month vs storage and feel the need to constrain a bit for costs. Since the forum is quite small pruning would not affect the cost of running the forum in my analysis.

In any case, if there is an issue that requires pruning we can move the forum to my server where there is no bandwidth/size/or cost issues. We did a test move to my server this morning and it worked fine. We troubleshooted the login problems and fixed them in our test setup then made the changes on the live forum. Thus, if space is an actual issue we can resolve it easily if Peter and HH want me to.

I've left a message for Peter and will see what's up.
John Mason

Postby Max_501 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:28 pm

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a news section so I missed HH's comment on this topic.

HH wrote,

"Since the forum is growing fast and server space is at a premium old threads will disappear unless a post is made within thirty days. If you want to activate a thread and keep it current, you can do so by simply posting hello or asking a question on that dormant thread, which will keep it going another thirty days, otherwise old threads, will be dropped after thirty days.

If space is available, threads will be kept on as long as possible."
Max_501

Fun with servers

Postby Harald » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:56 pm

I think we can get around all these storage issues and keep our older threads, and the Classic Threads idea came out of the problem, which is a great idea. Peter just picked 30 days at random because he was concerned that storage was going to be a problem. John has made a generous offer to put the forum on his server. Thanks John, that is the obvious solution.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System