Rambling

PMTS Forum

Rambling

Postby h.harb » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:58 am

Misc. rambling:
Reporting in after a great A-Basin Camp. My schedule and late hours at our Alignment Center sometimes interfere with my ability to visit and post on the forum. I wish I had time to respond to each and every question. I find most of the discussions extremely valuable. But I simply can?t respond to every topic. I will from time to time try to have some input if there is a request for clarification.

Example from one post, if one ski is turning differently from the other, it could be one of these three things: Alignment, (most likely) which can include differences in foot/ankle structure and anatomy, Ski tuning, or a limitation in ankle joint range of motion (dorsi flexion). Ski tuning is often the most overlooked. I happened to ski on one of our demo Head skis during the camp and found one ski completely different than the other. I immediately switched skis (from one foot to the other) and the problem went away. The ski on my right foot had an over beveled edge. I couldn?t grip with that ski. As soon as I switched skis, they were perfect. Strange tuning can do this.

Wow! This thing has really kicked into action since I was here last. The PMTS forum is really jumping, great, but let?s please keep the posts positive.

I see as a listed thread, ?Lito vs. PMTS?, Lito and I are not in competition. Lito is a good friend and he has his own, different program, but he uses many PMTS fundamentals. Lito is a very smart teacher and he has a keen sense what works best for his students. He has contributed much to skiing and ski teaching.

Lito is one of the first instructors to recognize the importance of standing on the little toe edge to prepare for a balanced turn initiation. Traditional methods have yet to incorporate this, but many instructors are individually incorporating these techniques. Lito has his own ways to present information and they are different from PMTS, but this is positive. We don?t want creativity to decline. One great thing about PMTS is its flexibility and versatility.

The twelve inch snow storm that dropped in just before the A-Basin camp was really appreciated. The conditions we excellent, we had soft bumps and a great packed powder, groomed surface. Fifty percent of the twenty four skiers in the camp were return skiers. We have been averaging better than fifty percent returns at our camps, which is very rewarding for us. I am thrilled and appreciative of all skiers that ski with us. My crew of instructors is doing a super job. I saw wonderful skiing improvements during the three days. Comment cards and response from the participants were outstanding. We have added Bob Hintermeister to our coaching squad, he is an excellent coach and a good friend. We are constantly looking for dedicated, knowledgeable coaches for our camps. Some of you know that Bob has been working with us for a number of years in development of PMTS, from the biomechanical side.

We hope to have him for the Big Sky Camp. As many of you know, Big Sky has been booked since August.

Diana, my partner was ski racing this weekend and had some great results. She beat all the men at Winter Park?s, USSA Masters race Saturady, in both runs. One woman beat her, but by only two tenths of a second in the first run. She happened to be a former world cup racer form Norway. Diana has only been racing for three seasons. Is it possible PMTS technique works? Come on, let?s not go that far.

Please continue contributing to this wonderful forum. I am submitting a number of new articles to Peter for posting on the ?Real Skiers? site. Some will be work that is going into my new book. I appreciate your comments about what you would like in a new book. I hope to be able to cover all of your requests, keep them coming.

Looking forward to visiting again soon,

Harald
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System