Question on changing the weight to new ski

PMTS Forum

Question on changing the weight to new ski

Postby mauricet101010 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:02 pm

Hi Guys,

Happy new year.
I'm a bit confused.
Ive watched the excellent pelvis video.
At the end of the turn you raise the stance ski.
If I do this without some pelvis raising it seems my weight does not transfer to the new ski on the little toe edge?
Is this correct?
It seems from the video the raising happens after the weight transfer.
Or is the correct way to think about this is the pelvis levels as the old stance ski lifts then the pelvis is raised after the weight transfer?
mauricet101010

Re: Question on changing the weight to new ski

Postby mauricet101010 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:21 pm

My question came from when I looked at the short turn Diana video and at 13 minutes she does a touch down exercise of the stance ski. I do see a subtle hip raise when she raises the stance ski. You can see her jacket zip line does change angle slightly as she raised the stance ski. Is this correct that you do need a slight hip raise to help the weight transfer to the ITE?
mauricet101010

Postby enric » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:30 am

HI Maurice and all,

I believe what is being addressed is the crux of the PMTS transition.... :) well, if not the crux, at least a key and pretty difficult to execute move (part of the transition sequence)...because what needs to be changing is not only the weight, but ALSO the balance of the skier...and this is why this sequence of movements is so key and difficult to be fully understood, described and executed :wink:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9Lureys7ZyY/UNEwUUvpd7I/AAAAAAAABkE/Ulkh6FsQPjk/s1600/Hirscher+Madonna+7.png regarding this amazing picture posted by HH in his blog, HH says: "(Photo above) With the sense that the turn is complete and the pressure is adequate on the outside ski, the revesre begins to happen for the release to the next turn. The outside leg now flexes and retracts aggressively. The inside arm and hand lead is increased to hold the LTE of the inside ski for transition, by holding counter-acting for the release. Retraction is so fast and aggressive that the old outside ski (stance ski) is lifted. "

This picture is part of the sequence of movements in the superphantom move, a well and extensively documented move in PMTS literature...what I find most interesting in this picture is that, IMHO I see the ANTI-PHANTOM (AP) MOVE :idea: :?: being performed as described in the Instructor Manual....just prior to performing the transition Super Phantom move....I am not sure this particular move (AP) is performed in each and every Superphantom sequence, if so, in most cases seems to me it is so subtle that can easily go unnoticed, but this specific AP move is described and prescribed in the Instructor Manual to help stabilize the uphil LTE in one-ski skiing (and I suppose, during transition) if my understanding is correct...in my own words, it is as if just prior to generating the well known O-shape of the phantom move, an A-shape (so to speak) AP is generated by extending the big toe of the old stance foot while retracting and releasing it....any thoughts? ...I hope my little contribution is not considered too convoluted, if it is, please let me know and I will delete it without hesitation :mrgreen:
enric

Postby enric » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:37 am

sorry, I forgot to include this excellent picture from HH blog which I think is closely related to the above issue...https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lTBlsWckbUA/UVWzPfxgvQI/AAAAAAAACLc/4PA8G5Pb1jo/s400/Felix+Neureuther+LTE.jpg https://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/search?q=transfer+to+lte
enric

Postby jbotti » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:22 am

My only comment is to make sure you are not making this more complicated than it is. It's possible that I should, but I have never focused on my hips in transition. Most people are not getting the true phantom move (or super phantom correct) and many are also not flexing to release (rather extending to release). What the hips do as the arc continues is much more important than what they are doing in transition. I'm not even sure we have the time, focus or muscle control to be controlling our hips in that very short window of transition. But as the arc develops, that's when the inside/non stance leg hip needs to rise to help produce CB over the stance ski.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby mauricet101010 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:53 pm

I'm no expert but I think if you flex one of your leg the hip raises a bit automatically without you thinking about it or even being aware of this happening. This is what I think I see in Diana's ski demo.
mauricet101010

Postby jbotti » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:56 pm

So again, back to keeping things simple, focus on flexing. What happens with the hip is a result of that movement. In PMTS parlance, flexing is a primary movement. The hip raising is a secondary movement, and the result of another, different movement. Focus on the primary movements, the essentials.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:19 pm

John is absolutely correct in what he says. Focusing on what the hip is doing is irrelevant, it acts as a result, not a "primary movement:" If you are extending or pressuring through a push/extension against the snow, you can't achieve a smooth seamless transition. Even the slightest extension changes the whole turn and transition dynamic and I never see Diana out of balance or struggling to get high C angles by using her lower body tipping in transition. Any rising or extension will unsettle your balance and require you to make adjustments later in the turn. Just do what John says and keep the new stance leg at the same bend amount, or even lower it, as you transition. Focusing on what you can control is the key to success. I never think about my hips when transitioning, they end up where and how I use my leg which I can control. If you see any rising in our videos it's an illusion because I know Dina does not extend her new stand leg in transition.

If you study the frames in my blog that were posted above you see an actual lowering of the uphill hip. This wasn't intentional either, it was a result of a two-footed pullback, and getting light with both skis (retraction) so the transition has no restrictions.
http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2021/02/skiing-traditions-debunked-and.html
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:40 pm

h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:46 pm

https://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2023/02/keep-uphill-leg-bent-in-transition-this.html

This is a pure Harb Ski Systems technique, from PMTS. All the best skiers in the world use this (Richie Berger, Hirscher, Atlie McGrath, etc.) way of transitioning even if they do not teach it. Harb Ski System is the first ski system to identify all of these crucial movements and put them together in a complete progression and ski system.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System