A- Basin Opens Tomorrow!!

PMTS Forum

A- Basin Opens Tomorrow!!

Postby jbotti » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:38 am

It's the official start of ski season. Some lucky ones in Summit County will be skiing tomorrow and next week. For me this is always a time to look at the progress I made last year and to look closely at what I want to accomplish this year and what I need to do to make this happen. I have two big focus areas this year. The first is to take my NSPP to the next level, making sure my hands never back away from the correct position and that my PP has almost no movement. Made great progress last season and I feel like I can get it where it needs to be this season. My goal this year is to take my double black off piste skiing to the next level which means a higher level of consistency. Last year I was 75% on (better than that as the season progressed) and 25% of the time I had some runs where I just didn't nail it. I would like to get that to 90/10. Two things will get me there, first, my hands (discussed above) the second is owning a more powerful pullback and being able to have the same power with it at the bottom of the run as I have at the top (especially in bumps!). Spent a lot of time this off season working hamstring strength. Hopefully it pays off.

Lastly, I will say that I think I have found the right rhythm with skiing to open each season properly. I now go to my home mountain in early December when they have almost nothing off piste open (similar to skiing A basin early in the season). This means I am skiing groomers for the first 7-10 days. And I just work my BPSRT non stop while working in some drills and put huge focus on my NSPP. When the fun stuff opens up in later December, I am reasonably dialed in.

Its a La Nina year which is usually great for snow in the Northern Rockies, so maybe I can nail a few epic days!

Feel free to let us all know what your focus is for the upcoming season.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: A- Basin Opens Tomorrow!!

Postby skijim13 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:37 am

My key focus this year is stay flexed doing transition, release with the tip pullup movement, build more energy in my turns, and further improve on my no swing pole tap/plant. I have been training extra hard this summer with more weight training for the legs, rollerblading, hiking, bike riding, yoga for skiers, and using Haralds dryland training video.
skijim13

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:12 am

jbotti wrote:Lastly, I will say that I think I have found the right rhythm with skiing to open each season properly. I now go to my home mountain in early December when they have almost nothing off piste open (similar to skiing A basin early in the season). This means I am skiing groomers for the first 7-10 days. And I just work my BPSRT non stop while working in some drills and put huge focus on my NSPP. When the fun stuff opens up in later December, I am reasonably dialed in.

Welcome to every day on snow for me! Imagine if you didn't have any 'fun stuff' that would ever open and all you had to do was dial it in on groomers every day! :lol:
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby jbotti » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:03 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:
jbotti wrote:Lastly, I will say that I think I have found the right rhythm with skiing to open each season properly. I now go to my home mountain in early December when they have almost nothing off piste open (similar to skiing A basin early in the season). This means I am skiing groomers for the first 7-10 days. And I just work my BPSRT non stop while working in some drills and put huge focus on my NSPP. When the fun stuff opens up in later December, I am reasonably dialed in.

Welcome to every day on snow for me! Imagine if you didn't have any 'fun stuff' that would ever open and all you had to do was dial it in on groomers every day! :lol:

Come West young man!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System