Just thinking about skiing and this popped into my head

PMTS Forum

Just thinking about skiing and this popped into my head

Postby tigernbr » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:02 am

I opted out of taking a ski trip this year due to COVID. I get my second shot tomorrow and I will be back on the slopes and in a camp next season. I think about skiing all the time. It sucks that I live in the deep south where there is zero opportunity to ski unless you take a trip to the mountains. Anyway, I was thinking back to when I first learned to ski many, many years ago. I learned on a rolling carpet that a local outfitter store built in its store. Of course, the method they taught was PSIA. Sadly, the rolling carpet no longer exists. It was taking up too much valuable floor space where they could sell more stylish hiking boots and such. Anyway, my question is has anyone tried PMTS on a rolling carpet? I would imagine it would work just fine but would like to know if anyone has tried it.
tigernbr

Re: Just thinking about skiing and this popped into my head

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:39 am

Indeed they have (and very successfully): https://www.portesduski.nl/indoorskibaan/
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby tigernbr » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:00 am

That's awesome. I wish there were a place in Houston or Atlanta that did that. I have friends and relatives in both places so I could easily spend time there.
tigernbr

Postby h.harb » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:21 am

I started skiing the carpet in 1975. I've coached with it on it, and owned my own carpet at our first shop in Dumont. I taught John Clendenen how to teach on the carpet. Yes PMTS is perfect for the carpet, much better than PSIA's wide stance, twisting and pushing.
h.harb

Postby SkiMoose » Fri May 14, 2021 9:43 pm

There's one out here in Colorado, that I've done quite a bit. Great practice during, the summer, and the big mirror in front of you helps as well for some real time feedback.
SkiMoose

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System