Suggestions how to remove extension of right leg

PMTS Forum

Suggestions how to remove extension of right leg

Postby skijim13 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:30 am

This year in camp I have been focusing on removing extension from my skiing during transition, the first key to this was to eliminate the tail lift go to a tip lift during release. I have been made improvements to eliminating the extension on the left leg during transition, but being right leg dominate still notice a slight extension in my right leg during transition. When I try to speed up the transition when doing short turns I notice it more in the videos.
skijim13

Re: Suggestions how to remove extension of right leg

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:15 am

Jim,
I removed the duplicate topic so all replies will come to this thread only.
Best,
Greg
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:42 am

Having seen a number of your recent videos, I don't think your choice of turn shape is doing you any favors. Bring your turns more into the fall line and the momentum won't stall. You then won't need the push off to get out of the turn.

HeluvaSkier

Postby jbotti » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:58 am

I agree with Heluva. I will also say that I have spent countless hours, deeply flexing with both legs into every turn. If you do this for 25 ski days, some good percentage of the time you are skiing and practicing it will become second nature. As well, this is an essential part of any two footed transition, when flexing both knees some is essential (vs one footed transitions where only one leg needs to flex).

And those two footed transitions are essential in powder and other off piste conditions (bumps). I spent a lot of time working with Diana skiing easy bumps staying flexed and flexing with both knees deeply into every transition. Again, its not how we want to ski all the time, but if you practice this diligently, it will help rid you of the dreaded up move.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby skijim13 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:19 am

Thanks for the suggestions, will work with these.
skijim13

Postby l2ski » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:04 am

jbotti wrote:I agree with Heluva. I will also say that I have spent countless hours, deeply flexing with both legs into every turn. If you do this for 25 ski days, some good percentage of the time you are skiing and practicing it will become second nature. As well, this is an essential part of any two footed transition, when flexing both knees some is essential (vs one footed transitions where only one leg needs to flex).

And those two footed transitions are essential in powder and other off piste conditions (bumps). I spent a lot of time working with Diana skiing easy bumps staying flexed and flexing with both knees deeply into every transition. Again, its not how we want to ski all the time, but if you practice this diligently, it will help rid you of the dreaded up move.

Jim,

This is also one of my problems that it evident in the last videos that we took.

Since we have last skied together, I have been doing exactly what jbotti says above.
I have been working on flexing (deeply) with both legs to release, and continued
flexing until engagement. An additional focus is to hold CA until engagement.

Something that I additionally think about is
to keep the NEW free leg parallel to the new stance leg during the transition.
I feel like I'm pulling it up along the new stance leg while tipping it to LTE.
But I need to hold CA to do this to and get balanced on the uphill LTE. When on the
uphill LTE I still continue flexing until engagement.

I don't feel the up movement when I get it right and I feel my body crossing over the skies as the
skies continue with the arc. I do need to confirm with video.
l2ski

Postby ChrisV » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:02 pm

Any old injury issues? Most people are dominant on one side or the other, and injury can certainly exacerbate this. I hurt my left knee a few years back, and it has taken a lot of focused practice to work toward eliminating asymmetry. Just yesterday afternoon I was getting to the point of fatigue in my left knee that I was having trouble making the moves on that side. Probably time to quit for the day at that point.
ChrisV

Postby njdiver85 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:17 pm

l2ski wrote:
Something that I additionally think about is
to keep the NEW free leg parallel to the new stance leg during the transition.
I feel like I'm pulling it up along the new stance leg while tipping it to LTE.

This is something we worked on at my camp with Walter as a stationary drill first and then in motion. Lift the ski while keeping it at the same angle as the newly weighted ski. To do this correctly necessitated keeping the new free leg parallel to the new stance leg. The cue to success was when we lifted the ski, the tail did not cross with the weighted ski and the skis remained parallel during the lift and through the subsequent tip.
njdiver85

Postby jbotti » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:24 am

Be careful not to make flexing more complicated than it is!
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:56 pm

I agree with JB. You're either bending the legs or you aren't.

HeluvaSkier

Postby jbotti » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:27 am

In chatting with Max501 yesterday, he reminded me how we were both taught to flex by Diana. She told us both to massively over-flex, to attempt to put our knees into our chin at the end of every arc. And she told us to ski like that on every arc until flexing happened automatically. Exaggerating movements is the way to own them (although not necessarily the way we want to ski all the time).

Again, anyone having issues flexing, if you will exaggerate it, find as much knee bend as possible (with both knees) at the end of every arc, and do it for half a season, the up move will go away.

For me, I just would not initiate tipping until I was deeply flexed. I ended up with some delay in my skiing and I needed to work a little on flexing and tipping together, thinking of them as one movement instead of two. But ridding oneself of the delay is easy and its a high class problem. The up move is a low class problem!
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:35 am

To add to jbotti's post. I made the biggest gains when I worked to own the full range of motion by exaggerating the movements. In my case I can get close to a 90 degree knee bend as seen in this video that was shot during one of the Mt Hood camps back in 2007. I think that was my 2nd or 3rd season with in person PMTS coaching. Sometimes I'd look at video and be disappointed that I wasn't seeing nearly enough of the Essential I was working on. When that happened I'd remind myself that the Essential wouldn't be exaggerated unless my brain told my body to go for maximum range. Sure, a coach can guide us, but it's up to us to "just do it". I know that sounds goofy, but at the end of the day, I'm the only person that can get my body to flex, tip, {insert other Essential here} more, more, and MORE! At some point I'd bite the bullet and acknowledge the lack of movement was an internal/motivation issue and then just make it happen (even though it felt odd because it wasn't my normal movement). Breaking bad habits is hard work!

Max_501

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:45 pm

To add to that...few of us move as far as we think we're moving. One might be sure that they're exaggerating the movement, and an excellent coach like those above could say, "I think I see a little of the movement, but you gott'a increase it a lot." It's new, it's different, it's different balancing and timing, and when you get it...it's great!
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby skijim13 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:56 am

Thanks everyone for the excellent advise. I have been working hard on the snow the past week and have made major progress.
skijim13

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System