New eVideo: Tighten the Radius of Your Turns

PMTS Forum

New eVideo: Tighten the Radius of Your Turns

Postby Erik » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:05 am

Harb Ski Systems posted a new eVideo on their website this week: Tighten the Radius of Your Turns.

Diana is the presenter/demonstrator. The overview of the eVideo is at https://harbskisystems.com/products/tighten-the-radius-of-your-turns-evideo, including descriptions of the prerequisites and the related books and videos. The movements in this video can be practiced on your slantboard - no need to wait for snow.

This video and a few other recent videos are available in 4K in case you have the bandwidth for the bigger files and want to watch it on the big screen.

If you are wondering how the various eVideos fit in to the PMTS learning progressions, there is an online guide to PMTS Direct Parallel Publications https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0895/3800/files/HarbPublicationsMap2019.png?v=1573699363
This is an excellent overview of the purpose of all of the instructional content, and how all of the eVideos relate to the PMTS books. It is not yet updated to show this video. Also, every one of the eVideos has a description page with overview, content, purpose, prerequisites, and related books and videos. Especially for those who are new to PMTS, this information is very useful in sorting out which content is appropriate to fit in with your learning progression.
Erik

Re: New eVideo: Tighten the Radius of Your Turns

Postby dougtee » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:56 am

it’s unsurprisingly a great video!
dougtee

Postby h.harb » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:40 pm

Agreed it is unsurprisingly good, a continuation of building great movements and great skiing.? This is PMTS the way it was designed from day one???? We are also coming out with a series on binding set up that explains why some modern bindings will hold your body in a poor unbalanced position relative to forward and backward balance. This is a revelation as many binding and ski combinations are currently hurting many skiers.
h.harb

Postby RyanAllen » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:42 am

I wasted no time purchasing and viewing the new video and can fully and unequivocally recommend it!

Can I ask a question related to the inside foot management? While tipping and bending, the free foot eventually returns to the snow. Then balance transfer begins. It seems at that moment, one must produce a significant amount of foot tipping torque to maintain balance on the LTE. This is something I've been working on using the carvers. Am I wrong, or is this moment where we transfer balance to the LTE one of the most challenging aspects of these movements? Am I making too much out of this? Does it really become ingrained with correct practice?

My PT has me doing ankle inversion repetitions with a theraband, and an exercise where I stand on one foot and repeatedly "dome" my arches. It seems to be enhancing my foot tipping strength and leg posture in general.

Thanks!!
RyanAllen

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:06 am

RyanAllen wrote:Can I ask a question related to the inside foot management? While tipping and bending, the free foot eventually returns to the snow. Then balance transfer begins. It seems at that moment, one must produce a significant amount of foot tipping torque to maintain balance on the LTE. This is something I've been working on using the carvers.

At low speeds (and this probably applies to the carvers as well), I'd say probably yes... Once into turns where there is momentum at release, and thus some float, it becomes easier. This is probably one reason low speed turns are a good test of one's command of smaller, more refined refined movements.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Erik » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:36 am

Ryan,

The first part of the problem is when you change your tipping of the unweighted foot to keep the tipping as you transfer the weight to the uphill LTE. In this video, Diana is moving her legs under a steady torso as she transfers weight, never pushing off as she steps. Many of us give away the tipping we have developed during the turn when it is time to transfer balance as we stand up to try to find balance on the uphill ski, and Diana gives an excellent demonstration on how to stay flexed.

It may be worthwhile to review your balance. With good balance, and proper placement of the inside foot, the weight transfer should be effortless, and you can focus more on maintaining your tipping. If there is anything that isn't rock solid about the balance and weight transfer, go back and fix that. Of course, alignment issues can also come into play for LTE balance.

In the Balance on One Ski eVideo, at the end Diana emphasizes that "having solid balance over the downhill ski is an absolute prerequisite to transferring that balance to the uphill foot. If you don't have perfect balance at the end of a turn, you won't have good balance to bring to the new foot" Also, the Eliminating the Wedge 3 - Super Phantom eVideo reviews the progressions to transfer weight to the LTE, and the Short Turns eVideo also emphasizes putting the inside foot down properly on the inside edge.
Erik

Postby h.harb » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:32 pm

My PT has me doing ankle inversion repetitions with a theraband, and an exercise where I stand on one foot and repeatedly "dome" my arches. It seems to be enhancing my foot tipping strength and leg posture in general.

This is a good start. However, you have to have the external rotators of the hip and femur solid or the mass of the body will flatten your foot. Another point in your avatar your feet are too far apart this keeps the mass toward the lower foot making it very difficult to move to the LTE and keep it angled until your balance is on it. Another point to watch for is if you re squaring up your hips (hold your counteracting) you will not be able to hold the LTE angle.

Suggestions: Practice on a slant board with your Carvers and your skis, this goes for everyone. Practice the transfer and balancing. This will also increase you Glute strength and also train all the small muscles in the foot and ankle.
h.harb

Postby skijim13 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:55 am

Harald great suggestion, I have been working all summer to strengthen those muscles and increase flexibility. The video has great visual points to use on the slant board. Our new gym has a turf room to build those core muscles as well as a indoor climbing wall and weight room.
skijim13

Postby agent00F » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:23 am

RyanAllen wrote:I wasted no time purchasing and viewing the new video and can fully and unequivocally recommend it!

Can I ask a question related to the inside foot management? While tipping and bending, the free foot eventually returns to the snow. Then balance transfer begins. It seems at that moment, one must produce a significant amount of foot tipping torque to maintain balance on the LTE. This is something I've been working on using the carvers. Am I wrong, or is this moment where we transfer balance to the LTE one of the most challenging aspects of these movements? Am I making too much out of this? Does it really become ingrained with correct practice?

Thanks!!

I believe the right feeling is that the weight transfer should be natural, without muscling/forcing from the body.

The relevant higher insight is that you're ultimately managing body momentum so its resulting force acts "correctly" on the skis against the snow. In that context, having to use a lot of force except to "stand/balance" against the ski is really a sign that your momentum/balancing is off. IMO anticipating/finessing that momentum precisely, to avoiding these torques/muscling etc, is one of the big often underappeciated challenges in skiing. It's particularly challenging in short radius high angle carving, because the angle of that momentum correspondingly changes quite rapidly.
agent00F

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System