Stance width difference between Harald and Diana

PMTS Forum

Re: Stance width difference between Harald and Diana

Postby h.harb » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:53 pm

It has less to do with the female anatomy if the boots are set correctly and if the correct movements are used. Most of the women I see skiing or racing are cuff strong. Overpowered. I just finished completing an alignment on a FIS racer on Fischer boots last night. She was at Burke mountain for 2 years. No one addressed her boot issues. The exact same thing is happening to many world cup skiers.

The reason many women look knocked kneed and have a wide stance is that they have to get the leg out away from under their bodies to be able to push the boot and ski over on edge. This puts their balance on the inside ski, where they can't absorb or tighten the turn radius.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:40 pm

For those still trying to justify a wide stance.

1. It doesn't provide balance.
2. It doesn't provide ski engagement.
3. It doesn't provide edge hold.
4. It requires steering.
5. It requires Extension.

In our camps, the slowest learners to change their skiing are PSIA instructors. Why? Because they try to fit PMTS into the way of thinking that was developed through PSIA. They try to go back to their PSIA training with PMTS movements and justify how they should fit into PSIA ideology and mechanics. If you are doing this you are wasting your own money and time. PMTS is simple and stands alone. Did I make it too simple for PSIA instructors to understand?

Don't blame PSIA. Come to camp and leave your pin at home. Don't even wear PSIA logos, it just demonstrates that you are still hanging on and won't let go. Then open your mind and only let in PMTS movements. You will learn faster and learn to keep PMTS like people who have no PSIA background do.

Otherwise, you'll end up skiing like this guy! I guess I have to explain this photo. It's a PSIA Demo Team guy. He's doing an instructional video on leg steering and foot steering. This is gross skiing, and it's based in dead-end movements. Leave it alone get out of it.

h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:51 pm

h.harb wrote:Also, if you watch enough of our skiing, my stance if often wider than Diana's, this is all situational. It's not technique or intent.

I'd venture to guess neither of you think much about stance at all.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:55 pm

h.harb wrote:. I just finished completing an alignment on a FIS racer on Fischer boots last night. .

Do you have a method of moving that cuff beyond the limitations of the max insert yet? Asking for a friend. :D
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:39 pm

Helluvaskier wrote: I'd venture to guess neither of you think much about stance at all.

I rarely think about stance width unless I'm demonstrating two-footed releases or slower brushed carved turns. In those situations I don't go wider; I just work hard to keep the feet the same width all the time. When I'm skiing on my own, I only think about the inside ski tipping and the foot pulling back.

Diana and I both have a good stance width, it is perfect for what we want. I have never thought about how to make it wider or narrower unless asked to demonstrate something different. When I do widen my stance my skiing feels like how a PSIA Demo Team member looks when they ski, unbalanced, un-dynamic, gross and ugly.

As far as adjusting a Fischer cuff beyond their standard inserts, I'd have to rivet the cuff to the ideal position. It can be done and I've done this with success on Tecnica boots and some Langes before we made our own inserts. Unfortunately, Fischer's inserts require a totally different receiving T-nut then what is standard in other boots. Fischer and Atomic boots have T-Nuts that move the cuff either forward or back which is less relevant for making the correct changes. As I have said many times they don't understand alignment and they don't understand what their standard boot set up does to skiers.
h.harb

Postby Darren » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:15 pm

Is there a better way then using helicopter tape to stop the ski edges from slowly cutting a hole through the inside side of the ski boots when skiing with a narrow stance & high edge angles ? The edges still cut through the helicopter tape :(
Darren

Postby h.harb » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:57 pm

When they get all cut up and get too soft, New Boots!
h.harb

Postby Vailsteve » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:19 pm

HH quote...” When I'm skiing on my own, I only think about the inside ski tipping and the inside foot pulling back.”

Oh man oh man... does THIS quote sum it up for me. Every turn. Every run. Every day. My single focus, trigger mantra...whatever. Diana yelling at me— pull your feet back!!! Yes ma’am. I am trying...

Tip and pull back. Skiing defined in the proverbial nutshell

Now if only I could do it in all conditions.

Some day. Sigh.

PS. The blossom whiteout skis from HSS are simply amazing, awesome, responsive, fun, and are simply eye-catching as well.

Did I say amazing? Never had so many people ask “what kind of ski is that?” And yes it rips!!
Vailsteve

Postby h.harb » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:07 pm

We are almost sold out of 170cm and 177cm. People love these skis.
h.harb

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System