Carv Device

PMTS Forum

Re: Carv Device

Postby gaku » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:47 pm

h.harb wrote:OK, thanks for the identification. We tested and evaluated this device in Hintertux with the developer last spring. It's all wrong. It is a PSIA device that measures how bad you are skiing and doesn't take you toward PMTS movements. We did make an impression on the developers. They didn't know what they were looking for and they had already worked with PSIA and BASI. Both organizations screwed this up. If they had come to us first, it could have been effective, but now it's a mess.

Assuming this was at the early stages, still low-scale and in search of a viable value proposition, were they not interested in pivoting? Maybe the market is bigger with the backing of PSIA and complying with their conventions, and that's why they persisted? That they feared losing a chunk of their segment group if they redid the 'software'-metrics of the product, more than fixing the actual flaws in their offering?

Did you get that impression? Do you think they would be open to something PMTS compatible in future launches, or would that be a big fat finger to their business relations with, as you said, the other ski school systems, effectively cannibalising their own product?
gaku

Postby VAskier » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:31 pm

gaku wrote:were they not interested in pivoting?

If one watches the video on their website, it would seem that "pivoting", in spite of the product being called "carv", is most definitely among their interests. :lol:

(Yes, I know, I know. That probably wasn't the definition of "pivoting" that you were using, Gaku :wink: )
VAskier

Postby skijim13 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:19 am

I agree nothing beats the video camera it tells the truth about your skiing, just wish there was a something available when training alone. This season we have started off by taking a great deal video. Without video feedback and external clues very hard to improve your skiing. Need an electronic expert to build a Carv device based on PMTS.
skijim13

Postby gaku » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:51 am

VAskier wrote:
gaku wrote:were they not interested in pivoting?

If one watches the video on their website, it would seem that "pivoting", in spite of the product being called "carv", is most definitely among their interests. :lol:

(Yes, I know, I know. That probably wasn't the definition of "pivoting" that you were using, Gaku :wink: )

:mrgreen: :D Haha, that's the best double entendre! Got to watch the video now.
gaku

Postby h.harb » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:34 pm

The developers aren't skiers. They are relying on whoever, BASI, PSIA and random instructors. They will get no where with this approach. They just don't know better. When we tried to explain skiing to them they were totally baffled.
h.harb

Postby skijim13 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:17 pm

I had posted on their site that nothing replaces coaching with direct feedback about what body parts and the movements are needed to make a skier improve. "The responded on the site that not everyone can afford lessons all the time so we the hope that this could provide a balance of value for the skier".
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:27 am

I'm sure they want skiers to think they will improve their skiing with their device. I didn't see any application where this device would improve your skiing. I do think if you want to spend the time learning how to use it, you could find out some of the things you are doing while skiing. But this doesn't do much to make you a better skier. Also the terminology is all PSIA and traditional, they use language like steering and inclination.
h.harb

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System