Externally rotated tibia

PMTS Forum

Externally rotated tibia

Postby 86ssc » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:38 am

Hello!
I have an issue with my lower leg: basically when my feet are straight and parallel my knees face inward towards each other, so when I flex they track inward even further, and this is especially evident in my ski boots (Salomon Xmax 120). To make my knees look forward, I have to open my feet (V/abducted stance), at which point flexing will make them track correctly, even slightly outward because I am actually varus/bowlegged but at the moment I am knock kneed on my skis.
Which boot/alignment do you think could help me?
86ssc

Re: Externally rotated tibia

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:11 am

First, the Salomon is the wrong boot if you need maximum cuff adjustments, which it sounds like you do by your description. Therefore you are already limited before you start. BTW, what you describe are internally rotated tibia, and this is usually a case of "high tib/fib varum.
h.harb

Postby 86ssc » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:05 pm

h.harb wrote:First, the Salomon is the wrong boot if you need maximum cuff adjustments, which it sounds like you do by your description. Therefore you are already limited before you start. BTW, what you describe are internally rotated tibia, and this is usually a case of "high tib/fib varum.

Thank you Harald! Yeah, the Salomon is for sure the wrong boot for me alignment wise, even if I like its comfort/precision mix, so I’m totally willing to buy a different model. To clarify, my knees are like this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p_1-b4nIxLg
They actually track even more inward than the guy in the video when I flex with parallel feet.
86ssc

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:11 pm

OK, that's what I said. You don't get torsion until you begin flexing. The torsion I'm referring to is the internal rotation that is created from the high tip/fib varum or curve in the high shin bone. I also noticed some hip flexor and glute weakness in your flexing. This case requires precise cuff canting and under boot alignment.
h.harb

Postby 86ssc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:33 am

h.harb wrote:OK, that's what I said. You don't get torsion until you begin flexing. The torsion I'm referring to is the internal rotation that is created from the high tip/fib varum or curve in the high shin bone. I also noticed some hip flexor and glute weakness in your flexing. This case requires precise cuff canting and under boot alignment.

Ok, I’m in the process of setting up the new boot (Atomic Redster STI 130 2020, don’t kill me Harald :oops:, there are contract issues...).
Unfortunately I’m nowhere near any PMTS bootfitter (Italy) so I’ve purchased the alignment guide and trying to figure things out with my boot fitter and ski instructor.
From what I’ve read in your alignment manual and derived from static and dynamic assessment, I’ve got high tibial varum AND tibial torsion, so I appear bowlegged statically but become knock kneed massively as I flex, especially when balancing on one ski. Traversing on LTE is impossible, I can’t even flatten the stance ski from stand still to make them slide, let alone roll over LTE. On carved turns it is less of an issue but definitely still there, in short and brushed it is dramatic as I’m also pushing the tail of the new stance ski at the start of the turn.
All this has been going on with the Salomon boot as well as a Nordica Aggressor 130 I’ve been using lately with the cuff tipped full out.
So we’ve tried making a custom footbed (Sidas) with hot molding under partial weight and trying to mantain a better ski stance, but on the snow it’s been only a slight improvement. Maybe we could do it better but I still feel it wouldn’t be enough.
The cuff has already been tipped to the outside to fit my leg shape, I’ll check it again.
The big thing left is of course sole canting. We have a machine to plane the boot sole at 0.25 intervals up to 3 degrees, honestly I’m thinking of canting both to 3 even at the cost of being slightly overcanted.

This is a video of me skiing with the Xmax 120:
https://youtu.be/sovNoxx-qrA
Here’s a picture of a transition, I was using the Aggressor:
https://ibb.co/q0m36b7
https://ibb.co/qsRC0Kz

Your thoughts?
Note: I’m aware of technique issues, but I’d like to dial out alignment first.
86ssc

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System