“ The Ligety move”

PMTS Forum

“ The Ligety move”

Postby LJF316 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:19 pm

Can someone explaine if this transition that Ted describes is old technique or still relevant. It is where he steps uphill to his new ski in transition and pushes himself downhill from it. https://youtu.be/Ga-6wy0Nboo Around 2.00
LJF316

Re: “ The Ligety move”

Postby Marc » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:08 pm

Marc

Postby MarcS » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:23 pm

He is only describing what he personally feels when he is skiing that may only be relevant to him. He may not have the ability to coach or convey correct technique to others so his comments could be misleading. Harald has this proven ability and teaches the primary movements that world cup skiers use. PMTS explains the technique required.
MarcS

Postby LJF316 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:05 am

Thank you, I’ve read just about every post on this forum and the blog, and now remember seeing that.

My problem is my kids race coach is trying to teach this as ted describes it. (And up and forward). Part of the process is respecting your coach, but they sure make it hard sometimes. Any advice on dealing with this?
LJF316

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:15 am

Max_501

Postby Marc » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:16 am

Listen how Mikaela Shiffrin reinterpreted her coach Up and Over drill to a Super Phantom drill:

https://youtu.be/Bh7KF49GzOc

(ignore the skier in the video as she is doing as she is coached)
Marc

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:01 am

Get a new coach! Trying to teach what ligety does is just stupid and niave. Ligety doesn't even uderstand how he skis. Not even Hirscher can ski like Ligety. I have never seen anyone who can ski like ligety. He's an outlyer. The closest would be Brignoni, and no one can teach what these two have.
h.harb

Postby LJF316 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Ok, so I looked Brignone up on YouTube. I found a video of Rielly explaining her run. He talks about her using the “up and forward” like it’s a good thing. Can anyone explain?

Not that easy, to get a New Coach. But I get your point Harald.

Max, I see your point, it’s not just me, this coaching is an epedmic.
LJF316

Postby CO_Steve » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:05 pm

Did anyone read the comments in the Mikaela video?

I found this one:

The skimove engages the external forces at ski-flat/edge-change to drive multi-plane torques acting about her outside ski into the turn while setting up a solid platform under her outside foot for her to stand on.

I had forgotten how simple PMTS makes things. This other world makes my brain hurt.
CO_Steve

Postby ErikCO » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:34 pm

CO_Steve wrote:
The skimove engages the external forces at ski-flat/edge-change to drive multi-plane torques acting about her outside ski into the turn while setting up a solid platform under her outside foot for her to stand on.

I was a math major in college and, I swear, my senior level proofs courses in abstract algebra were more understandable than this!
ErikCO

Postby CO_Steve » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:49 pm

I think if you'll apply Occam's Razor to this you will find that the simplest explanation is that the writer is full of shit.
CO_Steve

Postby blackthorn » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 pm

OP asks
Can someone explain if this transition that Ted describes is old technique or still relevant. It is where he steps uphill to his new ski in transition and pushes himself downhill from it

This topic has arisen a number of times on this forum. My understanding is that it would not be part of skiing using PMTS movements.

Most TTS skiers who are doing this are skiing poorly. WC racers visibly use skating moves at the top of a course to gain speed.
The question remains for me though is whether at the highest level, within the race course, a downhill push is used to advantage, or if it occurs is it poor technique or a recovery/adjustment move? Are there differences DH, GS or SL ???
blackthorn

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System