Ski like a Girl!

PMTS Forum

Re: Ski like a Girl!

Postby ErikCO » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:44 pm

Sorry to take a few days to post back. Real life happens some times. Anyway, thanks so much for all the explanations. Going back and watching the videos again, I do see flexion of the outside leg at transition. And thanks for your analysis of the clips. It is really interesting/useful (at least I think it is) to see someone who is demonstrating good fundamentals skiing, then read a good analysis of their skiing, and go back and see if I can see the things in the analysis. Seeing things that are wrong is much easier when looking at video of someone who isn't very good. As things become more refined, it is harder to see the problems. (As in, with your skiing Geoffda clips here, my initial reaction was, "Right turns look good, but something looks a little off about the left turns. I can't quite tell what it is though.")

Anyway, here's to hoping that another camp or two this year will bring my skiing closer to this!
ErikCO

Postby oggy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:38 pm

Those are some sweet turns there, Geoff. Thanks for posting this, and thanks for posting the self-analysis, both about the movements and the alignment - very instructive!
oggy

Postby geoffda » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Walker and Diana and I have continued working on the alignment of the right boot and we think we pretty well have it dialed. Prior to the changes, my right foot didn't want to roll over onto big-toe edge, so the tipping would often stop--resulting in the park and ride look with left turns. You can see in some turns how the left hip advances into the turn ahead of the feet and knees. With the changes, the right foot rolls over much better to big toe edge and the asymmetry between the right and left turns has been pretty much eliminated.

We started the process by installing a t-nut and tipping the right cuff to the lateral side as far as it would go. That was an immediate improvement, so we knew we were on the right track, but that cuff position turned out to be too strong. We went through a couple rounds of softening the cuff from there to end up with a position that still utilizes the t-nut to tip the cuff out farther than the stock maximum. With the cuff dialed, I was able to take out a half degree of lateral canting, so I ended up tipped in 2 degrees. Walker shot plenty of video as we worked this all out, but it is from his phone so it isn't useful to post. If I have a chance to get some video with the final alignment, I will post it, but I cracked the boots we've been working on, so we are going to have to restart this process with a pair of Head R3s very soon (possibly this weekend). In any case, we now have a good idea how to set up the new boots based on this work so I'm looking forward to an even better setup going forward.
geoffda

Postby mountainbum » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Wow, really impressive. Your last video looks very balanced, very early over the new ski, with a lot of power and energy in those releases. I will probably be skiing at Abasin a bit near the end of December, maybe I will run into you.
mountainbum

Postby ErikCO » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:56 pm

geoffda wrote: but I cracked the boots we've been working on, so we are going to have to restart this process with a pair of Head R3s very soon (possibly this weekend).

Oh, that sounds like loads of fun! Hopefully your foot is a bit easier to fit than mine. (My forefoot is too wide, especially on my left foot.) Walker probably spent 6-8 hours stretching my RS130s several years ago. I'm sure he is dreading the day when I come back in for another set of alpine boots!
ErikCO

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System