New Video of Technical PMTS Free Skiing

PMTS Forum

New Video of Technical PMTS Free Skiing

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:48 pm

It has been awhile since I posted a video thread here, but this season brought some great snow to our little ski area, which enabled me to get in front of the camera more than usual. I've spent a good portion of the season filming drills which you can find on my channel, but more importantly also filmed many runs of free skiing on various different skis, making a variety of turn shapes/types and varying speeds.

Over the next few weeks I will post a clip for GS, SL and short turns for easier reference, but wanted to get this one posted first. For reference, I am not a professional skier... I work in finance and ski 30 to 40 days a season (mostly weekends or long weekends) and I'm roughly 12-years-into using PMTS to rebuild and improve my skiing. It is by no means a finished product... there is always improvement that can be made, but I thought I'd share this to show that high level skiing doesn't require multiple consecutive 100-day seasons or quitting the day-job that funds this life style.

Enjoy.

Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Re: New Video of Technical PMTS Free Skiing

Postby Darren » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 am

Love the skiing :) Is the primary focus of the inside pole drag to slow the speed of inside of the body & the inside ski since the distanced traveled is shorter for the inside ski compared to the outside ski around a curve ?
Or
Is the inside pole drag to aid in lateral balance if body falling toward the inside of the radius putting more drag on inside poll would act like a training wheel plus the drag would tighten up radius which would increase the G force pulling the center of mass away from the inside of the turn. Putting less pressure or no pressure on pole drag would have complete opposite effect. I have always used transferring slight differences of weight from outside ski to inside ski to help fine tune lateral balance after watching you ski I should use poles as well.

Should the wrist allow for travel of the basket ends of the poles towards the back of the skis as the turn progresses the forces would want this to happen though can use more tension in wrist to fight back ?

I know brush carving using my poles helps my skiing after watching your skiing I realize I m not using my poles correctly for locked on edge carving.

Also when going through transition is it best to bring feet back together by flexing the outside & waiting for feet to narrow before tipping to other side or not worrying about feet coming together through transition ?

HeluvaSkier your name suits you PMTS is the best way to ski period
Darren

Postby mardale » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:23 am

Good skiing! :shock:

I don't think the inside pole drag serves any function - it's not being levered into the snow or anything, it looks to be just the result of keeping the hands in the right place and skiing with big angles and deep flexion...
mardale

Postby noobSkier » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:26 am

Helluva, needless to say...impressive skiing. How much weight is really on the inside ski when your hip is to the snow like that? Lately i've been able to get my hip about 10" from the snow...maybe 6" on steeper terrain (confirmed with video). Whenever I try to go lower than that my outside ski breaks out and I have to recover. I know the goal is to be 100% weighted on the outside ski, but when you push your angles to the extremes like that, is it acceptable to have some weight on the inside for support?
noobSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28 am

noobSkier wrote:I know the goal is to be 100% weighted on the outside ski, but when you push your angles to the extremes like that, is it acceptable to have some weight on the inside for support?

If you weight the inside ski at those angles you're going to eat sh!t in an epic fashion. :shock:

HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:29 am

mardale wrote:I don't think the inside pole drag serves any function - it's not being levered into the snow or anything, it looks to be just the result of keeping the hands in the right place and skiing with big angles and deep flexion...

Correct.

HeluvaSkier

Postby noobSkier » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:32 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:
noobSkier wrote:I know the goal is to be 100% weighted on the outside ski, but when you push your angles to the extremes like that, is it acceptable to have some weight on the inside for support?

If you weight the inside ski at those angles you're going to eat sh!t in an epic fashion. :shock:

No doubt! I've experienced this first hand, but I think it only happens when you go 100% on the inside ski abruptly. We develop our angles being fully weighed on the outside ski; what I'm referring to is that moment when you are lowest to the snow...it seems like theres a split-second when the best free-skiers cheat a little with their weight distribution and immediately correct for the release.
noobSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:09 pm

noobSkier wrote:No doubt! I've experienced this first hand, but I think it only happens when you go 100% on the inside ski abruptly.

That is incorrect. Let's be clear, we aren't talking about 100/0 weight distribution here... That relationship changes through the entire turn (though there are plenty of examples of skiers with hip-on-snow angles and almost no pressure on the inside ski at certain points during the turn), which is why it isn't a concept that is often discussed in PMTS. Rather we talk about stance ski balance. If balance shifts toward the inside ski at these angles, it produces a spectacular blow up. Where I am doing the SL and GS turns in this video is STEEP terrain. The reason it doesn't look steep is that the camera person stands on the pitch and looks up... the one fall I had here this season ended in me hitting the trees. Transferring balance to the inside ski before release is suicide here.

noobSkier wrote:what I'm referring to is that moment when you are lowest to the snow...it seems like theres a split-second when the best free-skiers cheat a little with their weight distribution and immediately correct for the release.

If this is your perception, it is incorrect and you'd be best served to leave that thinking behind before you end up hurting yourself. The outside ski needs to slice the full arc... transferring balance mid-turn , pre-release, is at best a park and ride and at worst a nasty high-side.

HeluvaSkier

Postby noobSkier » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks for elaborating on this point. What advice can you give someone who's outside ski keeps breaking away when attempting hip-snow angles? Is this something that you have ever struggled with?
noobSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:22 pm

Hip to snow angles is not a goal, it is an outcome of owning the right movements, timing, strength, and flexibility... and having the snow feel to know when to employ those to ski with big angles and tight turns... and when not to.

HeluvaSkier

Postby Vailsteve » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:06 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:Hip to snow angles is not a goal, it is an outcome of owning the right movements, timing, strength, and flexibility... and having the snow feel to know when to employ those to ski with big angles and tight turns... and when not to.

I think heluva makes a great point here..”having the snow feel to know when to employ those [movements, I think he is referring to here] to ski with big angles and tight turns...and when not to.

This morning Vail was skiing rock hard packed powder and my last run down at 3 PM was three plus inches of pure mashed potato sticky mush. I am not even close to Heluva’s ability, but I can sure feel when the snow is “good”. Those days I am just laughing my head off at how much fun—and how fast—I can ski...knowing my slightest movement gets the ski response I want.

But, hero snow is not an everyday occurrence. What PMTS is giving me is the ability to ski more variable snow—and turn it into “good” snow that I can actually ski. HH is right... the movements don’t change, but MY aggressiveness certainly does...I am much more hesitate in flat light or in sticky mush—that stop/start stiction. I am so afraid of blowing out a knee (did that already...).

So I slow down and really try to ski as smoothly and calmly as I can. No hip to the snow..just a focus on tipping, CA and CB. Oh, and the no swing pole plant. I realize in certain situations, speed is your friend. I am working on that... to fully trust the movements and blast my way through the crud. Not there yet...

Anyway, another GREAT video from Heluva!!! Tnx for posting!
Vailsteve

Postby jbotti » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:43 pm

noobSkier wrote:Thanks for elaborating on this point. What advice can you give someone who's outside ski keeps breaking away when attempting hip-snow angles? Is this something that you have ever struggled with?

COUNTERBALANCE!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby mountainbum » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:37 pm

JBotti, can CA also have an influence on the ability to fully balance on the outside ski? I have also experienced my balance shifting toward my inside ski and then falling at higher edge angles, stronger and earlier CA seems to correct the problem for me.
mountainbum

Postby Max_501 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:26 am

mountainbum wrote:JBotti, can CA also have an influence on the ability to fully balance on the outside ski? I have also experienced my balance shifting toward my inside ski and then falling at higher edge angles, stronger and earlier CA seems to correct the problem for me.

Sure, but when it comes to big angles CB from the pelvis up is very important.

The role of the pelvis in CB
Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:29 am

Search is your friend... or just ask Max_501... he has memorized the site.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1189

HeluvaSkier

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System