What is Your PMTS Experience Level?

PMTS Forum

Re: What is Your PMTS Experience Level?

Postby Basil j » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:21 am

I discovered PMTS in 2013 right around the time my oldest started taking an interest in racing. I had skiing at that time for for over 20 years, with typical seasons of 30-40 ski days. I was self taught for the most part, but like everyone else had done many work shops/ clinics and some lessons all with PSIA instructors. I wanted to teach my kids the right way to ski and I was frustrated with the level of coaching I was seeing from their ski coaches. I came across a Harb video , specifically with Harald demonstrating tipping, inside foot management on GS turns and I instantly became interested in the PMTS approach to skiing. I saw it in the skiing of some current world cuppers and I knew this was the foundation I would try to give my kids. I bought the books and the tapes and studied them and started applying the basic movements to my skiing and felt instant improvement. Fast forward 5 years and Both my kids have strong tipping, retraction, single leg management and solid counter rotation movements built into their skiing.They still have to deal with their coaches telling them all sorts of things, that I tell them to ignore, and they continue to improve and enjoy the sport, which in the end is all I want for them. Because of work, I cant get to a camp, but I have a good friend who is an excellent ski coach and also a PMTS enthusiast and together we work on movements every time we are out on the hill and give each other constant feedback.It's a journey, not a sprint.
Basil j

Postby Lester » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:53 pm

I went to my first PMTS camp in 2008 ( thanks to my friend Kuba who talked me into it ). Since then I went to several camps, including green level accreditation camp in 2012. My ski seasons are mostly around 30 days and I can only dream about 100+ days on snow per season. I had privilege to ski with some skiers from this forum ( geoffda, ToddW ) and hope to meet more .
Lester

Postby blackthorn » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:12 pm

I discovered PMTS while surfing through You Tube ski videos back in 2014. At age 64 I had been through the massive evolution in skiing from leather boots, longthong bindings, and wooden skis with screwed on edges, through to the modern era of plastic, fibreglass, carbonfibre and titanal. And then more importantly the evolution from straight skis to shaped skis. I have been generally competent recreational skier not naturally with much sporting prowess. I was never a racer, and formed the old push/swivel technique. I was always keen but self taught and an occasional lesson was not useful mainly because I could not understand the rationale behind what I was being told.
For me PMTS was a revelation and contained all the components I was looking for. I have also started to ski better, with greater ease, in all conditions. I have purchased all the books and a number of videos. I had hoped to get on a course with HH and Diana in NZ but wasn't able to get time away from work at the time of the courses here in 2017. I visit this forum at least once week. I enjoy doing MA on any videos available here and then learn from the comments of those qualified. I also do the same with a number of WC racers. I enthuse to others about PMTS but most seem just a little bemused and disinterested.
As I have stated in a post previously - I remain convinced by PMTS at every level and hope to continue about 20 days skiing per year for some time yet. Most adverse comments re PMTS seem to come from people who do not understand what it is really about. My main regret is that I did not discover PMTS many years ago.
One day when I can organise things I will post some video.
blackthorn

Postby Darren » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:52 am

Have been skiing since the 70s averaged about 50 days a year. Would have taught skiing under CSIA but to me when I over heard ski instructors talk to students while ridding the lifts what they were telling their students sounded like total BS so never wanted to get involved. Found out about PMTS through internet maybe 5 or 6 years ago as soon as I read about it it made perfect sense. Ordered books & videos practiced drills for about 5 years, no camps or alignment yet as distance is far. I always tell skiers to do the exact opposite of that which CSIA teaches & to google PMTS & order the books & video as I m often asked about ski technique as my skiing is regarded highly @ our hill. Though I know it can be improved & from experience of my own skiing I m 100% convinced PMTS is the best path any other movements is just bad period. Friends of mine who I leant the books & video to traveled from Ontario to go skiing in Colorado & to get boot alignment they also purchased books & video from Harolds shop & practiced PMTs while away & I have seen a huge improvement in their skiing & it is prove I need to get alignment done. Others are starting to ask about PMTS as a result :) They want to try to get in on camps & I also in next few years. I m skiing in Dodge ski boots the sides have pin holes from friction of scrapping ice so boots need replacing soon. I really would like to get Dodge boots again with alignment by Harolds shop though not sure if practical as Harold does not sell them any more would have to order from factory & maybe they might not be the best boot for me. For locked on edge carving with a thin waist ski Dodge might not be the best boot as friction seams to wear out the side fast though Dodge says they are tougher boots now.
Darren

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:08 am

Darren wrote:I m often asked about ski technique as my skiing is regarded highly @ our hill. ...Friends of mine who I leant the books & video to traveled from Ontario to go skiing in Colorado & to get boot alignment they also purchased books & video from Harolds shop & practiced PMTs while away & I have seen a huge improvement in their skiing & it is prove I need to get alignment done.

Where are you skiing? Are you in Ontario?
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Darren » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:14 am

Kenora Ontario about 120 miles East of Winnipeg. Toronto is 20 hr drive away
Darren

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:21 am

Darren wrote:Kenora Ontario about 120 miles East of Winnipeg. Toronto is 20 hr drive away

I guess you don' t have to worry about unannounced visitors! :lol:
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby bmoose21 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:35 pm

Age 43 living in the front range of CO, almost 30 years skiing, but first year really working on PMTS along with my son who is planning to race next year. Both of us went to HSS to get boots/aligned this year. As my 16 y.o. son became more interested (borderline obsessed) with PMTS I started to focus more on coaching him. We'd also video each other and do MA etc., its been fun. I sort of hit a limit on my own progress (specifically with my left turn) which I eventually admitted is mostly due to knee arthritis/valgus and a hip issue on my right side. Hopefully will get the knee fixed this year. My son, on the other hand just took off with PMTS and skied nearly every day possible once he started working through the drills. We've skied over 75 days this year.
bmoose21

Postby Max_501 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:55 am

Bounce
Max_501

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System