Flexible footbeds?

PMTS Forum

Flexible footbeds?

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:24 am

I've read much on here about the need to use flexible footbeds that allow ones arch to move. How do I determine whether my existing footbeds (which I had made in Chamonix some years ago) fit the bill? Also, are there any recommendable off the shelf ones which will tide me over until I can get to a Harb alignment clinic some time? (I'm in Britain where PMTS is VERY thin on the ground).

Postby JohnMoore » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:33 am

Sorry, that was me, for some reason it didn't register my user name.
JohnMoore

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:59 pm

good question.

I did a search using the search engine within this Forum and came up with this.....

"Harald
Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:40 pm?? ?Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The new approach to skiing, is integrating boots, footbeds, alignment and movements. Footbeds depend more on the individual foot rather than the hard vs. soft footbed issue. We make harder more supportive footbeds for skiers who need more control of the foot and softer footbeds for skier who need more range of motion. Most footbeds bought in ski shops have only one option, usually a fully posted rigid material under the arch. We support the foot at the heel and at the forefoot if needed. The arch should allow movement for the ankle bone to apply leverage to the side of the boot. Recently many world cup skiers have skied without footbeds because they found the ones they were using too stiff and posted. They want movement in the foot so that they can apply more leverage to the side of the boot. This understanding is rare and not acknowledged by most instructors and ski shops, so don?t expect any smiles when you go into a ski shop and ask for a heel supported footbed that allows foot and ankle eversion. You will also get strange looks when and if you ask for a lateral boot.Back to top"

The above is from the thread entitled .....
"Footbed - which one ?" ( dated Oct 24, 2004 ).

Hope it helps.

Bluey

Postby JohnMoore » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:49 am

Thanks, I had read that post, but it still left me with the question as to how flexible is flexible? I mean, the arches on my footbeds are flexible, they're not supported by a rigid plastic structure, but how can I determine whether they're flexible enough?
JohnMoore

Postby SLAVA » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:08 pm

John you don' have to leave it to the spesialist.. read my other post"pmts foot beds total satisfaction" about flex
regads
Slava
DOCENDO DISCIMUS.
SLAVA

Postby JohnMoore » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:08 pm

Alas, I am about 5,000 miles away and can't benefit from Jay's no doubt excellent service.
JohnMoore

Postby SLAVA » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:29 pm

i'm asuming alas is me :)
there is many others in dif states not sure if any one in England..
your choice would be to join HH in his Europian camp and have him do footbeds for ya..
DOCENDO DISCIMUS.
SLAVA

Postby Belskisfast » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:59 pm

Try some Downunders footbeds. Sven Croomer design (ofZip Fits fame) at least until you can get some Harb Footbeds. They were recommended to me by Peter Keelty and they did a more than reasonable job until my Harb, (by Maria) outstanding, wonderful, life changing footbeds...lol... 8) You can order them from Downunders directly...Google it. Get the model in blue for edgeing acivities...skating, skiing etc. I use the purple ones in my hiking boots and running shoes and they are also very good.
Belskisfast

Postby JohnMoore » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:11 am

Belskisfast wrote:You can order them from Downunders directly....

Thanks for the tip. I'd like to order these but I can't actually order from Downunders ('site under construction'). I'll try to order some from a store in the US.
JohnMoore

Postby wolverineNorb » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:24 pm

Harald : Is there anyone in the San Francisco Bay area whom you trust to do footbeds? I have a pair of custom made but rigid footbeds made for me in 1995. Having purchased a pair of Dalbello V-Tech's last season I found that the only way I could increase edge angle was to try and bend my leg beyond what nature intended. I would like to experience the ankle eversion you speak of within the boot.
wolverineNorb

Footbeds

Postby Hosel » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:28 pm

Not Harald here, but I would suggest you contact Jim Schaffner at The Start Haus in Truckee. I believe he is linked on this site.They have a first class operation going there and did some great boot alignment for me last year.
Hosel

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:13 pm

I believe Maria is in the Fresno area. Here details are here:

http://www.harbskisystems.com/accres/inacc_unca.htm

Yes, Maria

Postby Harald » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:38 pm

If you are in the San Fran region, and you want a professional footbed made by a qualified physiotherapist, (trained by Harb Ski Systems) contact Maria. She will take into consideration all the parameters of your alignment, knee tracking, foot structure and build the footbed to this recorded and measured info. Regular ski shops make only a copy of the bottom of your foot. Not adequate!
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System