Booster strap question

PMTS Forum

Booster strap question

Postby tarnaby » Sun May 14, 2017 7:52 pm

I am in a 130 flex racing boot that works really well for me. Any thoughts on what impact replacing the out of the box power straps with booster straps will have on my ability to execute the essential PMTS movements?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.
tarnaby

Re: Booster strap question

Postby DougD » Mon May 15, 2017 3:57 am

It depends on the characteristics of the existing strap vs. the replacement strap and your individual flex and fit needs.

FWIW, my (nominally) 130 flex Lange RX's have a non-elastic strap that locks with a cam buckle. Once set, it doesn't move... at all. I discussed booster straps with Diana. As they are elastic, she advised me to try them ONLY if I wanted a softer or more progressive forward flex. I don't want that, so I didn't bother. YMMV of course.

Booster straps do have other uses. ToddW uses TWO on each boot to optimize his tongue-shin fit and reduce hot spots. As I have a similar issue, I may try a booster strap lower down without removing my existing strap.

Others will have different experiences.
DougD

Postby Max_501 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:04 am

An old thread on booster straps.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=427

Harald wrote:I use Boosters on all my boots as they give me a more moderate flex and they allow me to produce contact higher on the front cuff. With the boosters I can back off on the top buckle, which often causes shin bang. I let the give of the flexible straps control the forward flex of the boot. The booster allows me to modify my flex according to temperature or ski terrain.

On some boots with too much forward lean, we add a booster high on the front tongue to keep the shin more vertical. The nice part is that you don?t have to stiffen the flex unless you want to tighten the strap. I also find the booster makes the top of my liner fit closer to my leg.

Most racers use the booster to modify forward flex according to temperature changes to keep the boots more consistent.

I am not sponsored or other wise compensated by the Booster Company.
Max_501

Postby tarnaby » Mon May 15, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks Doug and Max. My power straps do not have the locking mechanism - only velcro. Based on your comments, and those of Harald's, I'm going to try Booster straps, in order to get more consistency on a day to day basis. Thanks.
tarnaby

Postby DougD » Mon May 15, 2017 10:23 am

tarnaby, a strap held on only with Velcro may be too imprecise/unstable for optimal fit and flex control. The boosters come in several models, which vary in strength/elasticity. Max or others may be able to advise on which might work best for you.
DougD

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System