Lifting the tip in skiing

PMTS Forum

Lifting the tip in skiing

Postby skijim13 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:55 am

I have seen improvement in my own skiing by lifting the tip slightly at release before the tail. My question do this work better for a longer type of turn vs. a shorter turn. I have been reviewing the short turns in the learn to ski videos and only see the tail lift in the demos by Dianna.
skijim13

Re: Lifting the tip in skiing

Postby Max_501 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:50 am

skijim13 wrote:My question do this work better for a longer type of turn vs. a shorter turn.

No. I'm more likely to see a tip lift in my own skiing in short high energy turns.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Fri May 05, 2017 10:34 am

Short turns are the base for developing long turns, not the other way around. Energy turns are even better.
h.harb

Postby DougD » Fri May 05, 2017 11:36 am

Jim,

Harald has posted numerous photos of top WC SL racers beginning their release with a tip lift. I doubt many of us make shorter or more energetic turns than Hirscher/Schiffrin/Gross/Neureuther et al.

My understanding of the tail lift emphasis in Diana's Phantom Move videos is that these are for skiing/PMTS newbies who have not yet mastered free foot management, especially a close stance with pullback. Without these movements, a tip lift is liable to throw a skier into the back seat. Lacking a practiced pullback move, a newbie might be stuck there. Teaching tip lift before pullback would be putting the cart before the horse.

Correction from Max or HH welcome of course.
DougD

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System