Stance leg; how long should it get?

PMTS Forum

Stance leg; how long should it get?

Postby rwd » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:14 am

In reviewing a number of HH's videos, I have noticed that his stance leg lengthening at the apex of the turn is not always the same. In the photo from the blog, for example, his stance leg appears quite long, with hips ahead of heels. In the second flexing video on the blog his stance leg appears more flexed at the apex, with hips over heels. Is this intentional, or just a matter of short radius turns allowing less time for the leg to fully lengthen by the apex? Is one of the goals in good turns to achieve almost full stance leg extension by the apex, without active pushing? If video shows that you are not getting that long leg, do you need to tip more, tip faster, or both?
rwd

Re: Stance leg; how long should it get?

Postby Obrules15 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:32 pm

rwd wrote:In reviewing a number of HH's videos, I have noticed that his stance leg lengthening at the apex of the turn is not always the same. In the photo from the blog, for example, his stance leg appears quite long, with hips ahead of heels. In the second flexing video on the blog his stance leg appears more flexed at the apex, with hips over heels. Is this intentional, or just a matter of short radius turns allowing less time for the leg to fully lengthen by the apex? Is one of the goals in good turns to achieve almost full stance leg extension by the apex, without active pushing? If video shows that you are not getting that long leg, do you need to tip more, tip faster, or both?

I'm pretty sure that is one of those factors modulated by speed and terrain, in addition to type of turn. One of Diana's videos shows (and marks) the increasing tipping angles required by steeper terrain. The difference is quite impressive, I would guess that there was at least a 30 degree differential between her tipping on the flattest vs. the steepest slope.

Also, in the Performance Free Skiing Video, Harald demonstrates the increased angles necessary for control on steeps.
Obrules15

Re: Stance leg; how long should it get?

Postby DougD » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:59 pm

rwd wrote:In reviewing a number of HH's videos, I have noticed that his stance leg lengthening at the apex of the turn is not always the same. In the photo from the blog, for example, his stance leg appears quite long, with hips ahead of heels. In the second flexing video on the blog his stance leg appears more flexed at the apex, with hips over heels. Is this intentional, or just a matter of short radius turns allowing less time for the leg to fully lengthen by the apex?

In addition to the extension needed to maintain snow/ski contact, lateral stance leg extension results from the PMTS movements used to increase edge angles: free leg flexing, free foot tipping plus CA/CB. The higher the angles desired, the more flexing, tipping and CA/CB... and the more stance leg extension as a consequence.

rwd wrote:Is one of the goals in good turns to achieve almost full stance leg extension by the apex, without active pushing?

Not necessarily. It depends on the terrain, the edge angles the skier wants/needs at the apex and how much pressure the stance leg will have to support in the bottom half of the turn.

rwd wrote:If video shows that you are not getting that long leg, do you need to tip more, tip faster, or both?

Or flex more... or CA more... or CB more. MA at this level would probably need a coach's eyes.

Chapter 3 of "Essentials" covers this in detail.
DougD

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System