Reilly McGlashin with PMTS movements!

PMTS Forum

Reilly McGlashin with PMTS movements!

Postby h.harb » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 am

http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2017/04/reilly-mcglashan-shows-short-turns-on.html

Reilly has the movements and the sequence figured out. His main focus, which we have worked on the last 2 seasons, flexing/bending, inside foot pull back, and countering the hip. To help create this for every turn, we found having him focus on the inside pole tip, arm, and hand, and moving them forward together, through the arc, made a big difference. Obviously, (in the exercises) without his poles this is hard to do. However using the angry mother exercise, requires total commitment to hip "counter acting" and "counter balancing". Reilly, is one of the few skiers who "Counter Balances" before creating big angles. This is one of the reasons why he is so consistent in his runs and consistent from turn to turn. He is one of the best technical free skiers in the world. He works on his skiing, and the exercises everyday.
h.harb

Re: Reilly McGlashin with PMTS movements!

Postby milesb » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:04 pm

That's very impressive!
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby h.harb » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:40 pm

Glad someone here thinks so!
h.harb

Postby DougD » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:07 am

These movements (flexing, CA and CB from the hips) and exercises to learn them (Angry Mother, Pole Drag) were my assigned takeaways from camp. I've spent over a year on them, skiing almost exclusively in Pole Drag mode while practicing Super Phantoms and Two Footed Releases. I skied for more than a year without intentionally planting a pole.

I'm no Reilly, but this has transformed my skiing. My hands no longer drop, lag or wave around aimlessly. My upper body is now countering as a unit, from the hips up. This is freeing my legs and feet to act independently, which enables more and better-timed tipping, flexing and extending. Provided I don't push the terrain envelope too much, Super Phantoms and TFR's happen when and where I want them to... including mixing them randomly. This has helped me appreciate that these defined releases are just two points along a subtle continuum of combined flexing and tipping movements.

It's not quick. Thirty years of ineffective TTS movements can't be unlearned in a day or just by reading a book. But dedication to the exercises and drills DOES produce results. Anyone CAN become an expert skier.

Reilly's dedication to effective drills and the skiing that results are an example and inspiration. Thanks for sharing.
DougD

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System