LTE balance and skeletal support

PMTS Forum

LTE balance and skeletal support

Postby nickia » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:01 pm

Hi,

I'm practicing keeping & holding the uphill ski on LTE and have some questions. I've watched the book 1 and book 2 video, and also Diana's wedge blocker superphantom video. I can traverse with uphill ski (one leg) and arch uphill in a clean line.

When balancing on one ski, uphill LTE, is it possible to do that without skeletal support?

As you can see from this picture, Harald's left foot is tipped at a decent angle. However, if Harald lifts his right foot, is it still possible to balance at that angle just on the left foot?

When uphill ski is unweighted, I can tip to a large angle even in stationary (like Harald's pic above). However, to achieve the same angle with standing just the uphill ski, I have to achieve more speed (higher speed = more angle) and use skeletal support. If I tip my uphill ski to a high angle then shift all my weight to it (one leg), then the uphill LTE angle is reduced to match the skeletal alignment. I find this to be a problem when I practice sharp turn (requires high angle free foot tipping) at low speed. I can't maintain the uphill LTE at a steep angle when all the weight is shifted to it. Whenever I lift the stance foot, the uphill knee will rotate to a position where the leg is aligned and reduces the uphill edge angle. The uphill ski is still on LTE not BTE but the angle is reduced.

I hear a lot of balancing on LTE but there is no mention of how much angle we need to maintain on LTE. How much angle is needed to be considered that you're "balancing on LTE" ? When we're standing perpendicular to the falline, aren't we already balancing on LTE by default if we lift the stance ski because otherwise we'll be slipping downhill ?
nickia

Re: LTE balance and skeletal support

Postby milesb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:54 am

You will need to tip, flex, and counterbalance more to keep the arc going while balanced on the little toe edge. There are plenty of pmts exercises to develop this. However, wider skis will make learning this very difficult, as the tendency of a wide ski to flatten when weighted will almost certainly overpower the relatively weak tipping to the little toe edge. It's hard enough to tip a wide weighted ski to the big toe edge! It's also harder on the knees on hard snow with even a 78mm wide ski vs a 65mm.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby rwd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:08 am

When finishing a turn, both skis should be at the same edge angle. As you have noted, the angles will depend on how much tipping was used throughout the turn. With a super-phantom release your goal is to transfer your balance to the LTE of the new stance ski, which requires you to move your hips uphill while maintaining your torso downhill over the ski (CB). This also requires significant tipping effort with the foot and ankle of the new stance foot, to overcome the natural tendency of the ski to want to flatten. All of the exercises you are doing are designed to develop those balancing and tipping skills. In a regular turn you want to balance on that LTE long enough to ensure that the new free ski leads the tipping into the new turn. Being balanced on the LTE of the new stance ski at the original edge angle, even briefly, allows you the option of how quickly or slowly to allow the new stance ski to flatten as you enter the high-C, which will affect turn dynamics.
rwd

Postby rwd » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:15 am

I forgot to mention; try an experiment, at home in front of a mirror, then stationary on the slope: transfer balance to the uphill LTE by lifting the tail of the the old stance ski, and then by lifting the tip, with dorsiflexion of the ankle. I think you will immediately feel the difference.
rwd

Postby noobSkier » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:03 pm

nickia wrote:Hi,
As you can see from this picture, Harald's left foot is tipped at a decent angle. However, if Harald lifts his right foot, is it still possible to balance at that angle just on the left foot?

That's a good question, Iv'e actually been wondering about this as well. In the picture above, I doubt it...but with a pitch, some speed and correct movements its definitely possible.

I don't know if this is the same angle as in the the other shot, but maybe HH was trying to over-exaggerate the tipping for demonstration purposes and we might be just reading into it too much.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:15 pm

Be careful not to confuse tipping drills that work range of motion with skiing. In this release HH is balanced on the LTE of the uphill (left) ski and his left hip is more or less in-line with the left knee and left foot.

Last edited by Max_501 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max_501

Postby l2ski » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:35 am

Is it correct to say that counterbalancing movements start here
with the right hip rising due to lightening the right ski.
l2ski

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System