Getting up after a fall

PMTS Forum

Getting up after a fall

Postby rwd » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:50 am

Yesterday while skiing in fresh ungroomed snow, I fell over when I lost my balance while coming to a stop on the slope. My bindings didn't release, as I basically just fell over with minimal momentum. However, I found it quite frustrating and exhausting trying to get back up with my skis on. Is the easiest method to try to release one ski (not particularly easy while on your side in the snow) or are there specific techniques or tricks that anyone has found helpful? Maybe HH has a video, like the one about getting in and out of ski boots. :D
rwd

Re: Getting up after a fall

Postby jbotti » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:47 pm

Getting up on flattish snow takes strength and flexibility. If you lack one or both it can be difficult. Getting your skis beside you with your knees deeply flexed is the best position to start from.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Robert0325 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:35 am

jbotti wrote:Getting up on flattish snow takes strength and flexibility. If you lack one or both it can be difficult. Getting your skis beside you with your knees deeply flexed is the best position to start from.

Also strategic use of polls. wrap hands around both poles and hold them rather like you would a paddle in a canoe to help lift yourself up. You have to be careful not to to just push the poles behind you as it has the undesired affect of propelling the skis forward as you try to stand.
Robert0325

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:47 pm

I was hit very hard on Monday, last week. Blind sided, from the left,and my feet taken right out from under me. No one on the slopes, first run of the day, hard snow on the flats. Hit my head really hard, my neck is still not recovered and I have nerve pain all down my arm. I couldn't get up, I lay there for many minutes wondering if my neck was broken. I knew it was serious, immediately. I finally was able to get up, skied, or side slipped down, went to the hospital for a CT scan. Fortunately no broken bones in my neck. But I am living with the consequences.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:31 pm

What happened to the dude (or gal) that hit you. Did he or she just ski away?
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Jeet » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:00 am

Terrible news. Hope you make a speedy recovery Harald.
Jeet

Postby DougD » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:17 am

So sorry to hear that. I've been run into 2 or 3 times, got sent tumbling once but never seriously hurt.

The worst ski injury I've had was self-inflicted... landed a jump badly... aka, upside down on my head, neck and shoulder.

Lucky I didn't break my neck, but I lived with pain and limited neck/shoulder ROM on that side for 20+ years. Deep tissue massage would loosen it temporarily, but in a day or two it was right back. I assumed I had permanent scar tissue that would never heal.

I was wrong.

Last year I happened across a different kind of masseur. He didn't use strength trying to force my muscles to relax. He used patience and slow, insightful touch... drawing on non-western ideas of therapy. His hands would spend long minutes on a single spot, applying just light pressure. He would take 10 minutes to move just an inch or two.

He explained that he could not force me to heal, he could only help my body awareness heal itself.

Mumbo-jumbo to some I suppose, but the results were astounding. In one, 90 minute session he released 20 years of built up tension. After a day or two of recovery the residual pain was gone. The pain and ROM issues in that shoulder were 90% better... and they did not return.

This was something of a miracle. It's been a year. The pain has not returned. The ROM has improved, if anything. I do a followup visit every few months, but as my injured shoulder/ neck are now 99% as good as the non-injured side, it's not even clear that I need to.

Once you've confirmed no major tissue damage, I'd urge you to try something like this. Traditional massage or PT may work. If they don't, a practioner of non-traditional massage, Reiki, acupuncture, etc. may be helpful.

Get well soon!
DougD

Postby blackthorn » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:29 am

Sorry to hear about the incident HH, and hope things recover quickly. I do note that recent videos show you now in a helmet ( not that this would have necessarily made any difference in this case). I was blindsided by a snowboarder last week in Chamonix - bruising only fortunately.
I agree with DougD about "deep pressure" massage techniques in terms of their efficacy in the hands of an expert. They can very very effective even for chronic conditions.
blackthorn

Postby h.harb » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:44 am

Thanks for the good wishes, I am going for message this week see what happens, then I'll so my osteopath Tom Ravin, who repaired my good knee, he's great. I'm in Minneapolis doing a PMTS Direct Parallel accreditation at Welch Village, now.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:18 am

John, The guy did hang around, but I headed straight to the CT scan, didn't stop at Patrol. Crazy thing is I know the guy.
h.harb

Postby skijim13 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:52 am

Harald hope you feel better, safety on the mountain is a big issue with me. I don't understand why people get so close to you on the mountain when they have so much other space on the mountain. My friends wife will not be able next week in Snowmass when the she was hit while standing to the side on a green run with other friends, the trail was completly empty yet the Snowboarder had to try to go around the small space they left. Her knee is strained and in a brace.
skijim13

Postby l2ski » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:16 am

Harald, I hope that you've recovered already and are feeling better.
Best Wishes.

-David
l2ski

Postby Ken » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:38 pm

frustrating and exhausting trying to get back up with my skis on. Is the easiest method to try to release one ski

I know the feeling. My knees don't bend as far (without pain) as they used to.

Removing a ski depends on your bindings, and if you're in snow firm enough to push down the heel lever with a pole. That's something you'll need to experiment with and find out for yourself. The Head/Tyrolia bindings and several other brands release fairly easily. Some Look/Rossi/Dynastar and some Markers are more difficult to get off & back on, especially in deep snow.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System