Wiggling the feet and Bristle course

PMTS Forum

Wiggling the feet and Bristle course

Postby alex_aku » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:32 am

Hi All,

just kicked-off the new season last weekend (in Hintertux, Austria) and tried a new drill but it didn't work, so would like to ask for some tips/suggestions how to approach it step by step.
I tried
a) wiggling the feet like HH shows in his Video Essitials, Part I, tipping - basically on a flattish slope in a curve at a slow speed rapidly changing the angle of both feet and tightness of the curve. What I found difficult: due to low speed the weight is more or less equally distrubuted on both legs/feet, so the method lift-and-tilt doesn't work, one has to wiggle both feet simultaneously and at precisely exact angles, otherwise skis go to different directions. I tried leading with the tilting of the inside foot first keeping the outside passive - doesn't work because the inside leg goes inside immediately because there is weight on it.

b) didn't try yet but would like to - a bristle course with 10-15 bristles for very quick edge changes, like HH in his video. Questions 1: how to achieve such phenomenal quickness in tipping/edge change and 2: practical tips to building such a bristle course - how wide apart should the bristles stand, what could be use as such bristles instead.

N.B. about my level: I can do OFR, TFR (self-checked with gloves btwn feet), WTR (even going down a full blue run down on one leg), yesterday tried deliberate delay of edge change (prolongation of transition) at a higher speed and was blown away by the thrill of "flying like a supersonic jet".

Thanks to the Forum!
Alex
alex_aku

Re: Wiggling the feet and Bristle course

Postby sgarrozzo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:08 pm

Probably you do not counterbalance enough. If you go slowly in flat track you always have weight on both skis if you do not counterbalance.
sgarrozzo

Re: Wiggling the feet and Bristle course

Postby jbotti » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:14 pm

alex_aku wrote:Hi All,

just kicked-off the new season last weekend (in Hintertux, Austria) and tried a new drill but it didn't work, so would like to ask for some tips/suggestions how to approach it step by step.
I tried
a) wiggling the feet like HH shows in his Video Essitials, Part I, tipping - basically on a flattish slope in a curve at a slow speed rapidly changing the angle of both feet and tightness of the curve. What I found difficult: due to low speed the weight is more or less equally distrubuted on both legs/feet, so the method lift-and-tilt doesn't work, one has to wiggle both feet simultaneously and at precisely exact angles, otherwise skis go to different directions. I tried leading with the tilting of the inside foot first keeping the outside passive - doesn't work because the inside leg goes inside immediately because there is weight on it.

b) didn't try yet but would like to - a bristle course with 10-15 bristles for very quick edge changes, like HH in his video. Questions 1: how to achieve such phenomenal quickness in tipping/edge change and 2: practical tips to building such a bristle course - how wide apart should the bristles stand, what could be use as such bristles instead.

N.B. about my level: I can do OFR, TFR (self-checked with gloves btwn feet), WTR (even going down a full blue run down on one leg), yesterday tried deliberate delay of edge change (prolongation of transition) at a higher speed and was blown away by the thrill of "flying like a supersonic jet".

Thanks to the Forum!
Alex

If you want forum members and PMTS coaches who are forum members to help with this the only way to get reliable feedback is by posting video. Without it everyone will just be guessing about your issues.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System