PMTS in Japan

PMTS Forum

PMTS in Japan

Postby Dumbledad » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:23 pm

HI Guys

Just joined the Board and excited about a new season of Skiing. I'll be in Japan twice this year, and had a couple of questions that I was hoping the good people here could help me out with.

The first is are there any PMTS instructors in Sapporo? I'll be in Hirafu, Tommamu and Kiroro.

Secondly, I'm thinking of getting Head Supershape Speed 2017 which are 68mm waisted. As many of you know Sapporo is known for loads of dry power, and 10-12m falls in a season.

For on-piste, is 68mm going to be too narrow for a beginning skier (Level 5) skier with 30 days of total ski time to learn PMTS on? My ski instructor says he generally recommends 85mm, but 68mm is OK unless it gets very deep and I lose too much speed. Which I take in his opinion its workable, rather than a good idea. (He's not PMTS trained)

If the second question is better posted on the gear section, I'd be happy to do so.

Many thanks for any help guys!
Dumbledad

Re: PMTS in Japan

Postby Obrules15 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:40 pm

How do you intend to learn PMTS on this ski if your instructor is not trained in PMTS?
Obrules15

Postby DougD » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:08 am

68mm is fine for on piste, even if it snows quite a bit. I used my 66mm SS Speeds at camp last year. It snowed 10-20cm of CO powder every day and I had no problems from the skis.

A narrow waisted ski is optimal for learning PMTS. Anything as wide as 85mm will definitely hold you back.

I second Obrules15's question. If you're committed to PMTS, taking lessons from a non-PMTS instructor is counterproductive. The fact that he recommends a fatter ski for new skiers is evidence that he doesn't understand effective skiing movements. Trying to learn two different methods at the same time would challenge most experts. For a beginner, it's likely to cause nothing but confusion.
DougD

Postby Dumbledad » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:33 pm

DougD, Obrules - thaks! Much appreciated for your comments.

I am looking for a PMTS instructor in Japan but so far have been unable to find one. I'm going to keep looking!
Dumbledad

Postby DougD » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:54 am

You're welcome... to PMTS and for the comments.

BTW, check out this thread for a ski that's (i) recommended by Harald for new PMTS skiers, and (ii) softer flexing than the SS Speed, so easier to handle in deeper snow. The only stock remaining seems to be in 170/177. Whether that would work for you depends on your height and (to a lesser degree) your weight.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5004
DougD

Postby Dumbledad » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:43 pm

Hi DougD

Thanks for the great advice, I'll seriously look at the X-shapes. I know its best to demo before you buy, but I get very little holiday time a year and the cost of a day at a resort in Japan is more the cost of a pair of skis.

5'10 and a modestly athletic 165lbs. I guess 170cm...?
Dumbledad

Postby DougD » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:06 am

I'm 5' 10" also, but only 135 lb... skinnier than a twig, lol. Diana was debating whether I should get SS Speeds in 170 or 165, so she asked my weight. Based on that she recommended 165. That recommendation was spot on, of course.

As you're ~35 lbs heavier, I assume 170's would be good.

NOTE: if a qualified PMTS coach advises differently, take their advice over mine.

P.S. Don't worry about being unable to demo. That's only useful if you have the skills needed to evaluate a ski. You don't.

For those seeking a ski to learn PMTS movements, Harald and the coaches have done the demos for us. You don't have the skills to know whether a ski is good for PMTS or not. Your reactions to a ski, whether positive or negative, are based on non-PMTS criteria, and would therefore be of little value for this purpose.

As you advance in PMTS, there will be MANY moments when you feel uncomfortable or awkward. This is normal when learning new movements. It's a sign you're being stretched. In fact, if a new PMTS movement or drill feels comfortable, there's a high probability you're doing it incorrectly. Only ingrained movements feel comfortable. Embrace those feelings of discomfort or awkwardness and distrust feelings of comfort or "rightness", which are often signs that you've reverted to old habits.
DougD

Postby Dumbledad » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks DougD!

I'll probably pull the trigger on 170, sounds idea for my weight on pow.

135lb...that was my college weight. Wouldn't mind being back there again, the 35lbs since college ain't all fat, but but it ain't all muscle either... :)
Dumbledad

Postby jbotti » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:04 pm

Keep in mind that there is no formula for the right length ski. Height and weight have less to do with it than does mastery over PMTS movements.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:29 am

John is absolutely right, if you ski correct PMTS movements you can ski a 170cm, 65mm waist ski in over a foot of powder with no problem. See video, Performance Free Skiing. However, even if you jump to a 85mm ski, it will not make the difference, you will be able to get down easier with skidding technique, but if getting down is your goal, you'll be fine.

I skied the 2016-17 SS Speed, 170cm, most of Feb and March. I love that ski, it's more aggressive and holds really well, slightly wider and busts through crud and off piste. Check my 2016 video "Skiing in the fog" on You Tube, the second run is totally off piste on that ski. It makes great SL or GS type turns in all conditions.

Not any PMTS instructors in Japan that I know of, no one accredited. Best bet is to hook up with other PMTS skier going to Japan, I know Geoff M. goes there often.
h.harb

Postby Dumbledad » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:11 am

Thanks for the advice guys! Great to see such a helpful and friendly community.

Harald, I have your ebooks on Kindle, so its an honour to "e-meet" you.

What you write makes a lot of sense. I wish there were PMTS teachers in Japan, a lot of the "teachers" there are just kids living the dream. They don't teach to a system and mostly offer snow ploughs and other band-aids solutions to the kids of well-to-do families. Not that's there anything terribly wrong with good ol' fun in the snow, but snowskids are probably not the road to mastery.
Dumbledad

Postby h.harb » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:10 pm

Welcome aboard!
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System