How much time should you spend on a slant board?

PMTS Forum

How much time should you spend on a slant board?

Postby Basil j » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:58 am

As we get half way through this hot summer, I have started to use the slant board a few times week and my kids are starting to join me. They are itching for winter to return and want to start utilizing exercise that is geared towards fitness and better skiing. We are currently running a mile ( under 7:30) and then doing a series of windsprints and running hills 3 times a week. Also started incorporating inline skating whenever possible.
How much time should one spend on the board and with how much frequency? I have reviewed the You tube videos and am working through the sequence presented on youtube. They get bored fairly quickly yet understand that it can be helpful to their skiing so I want to keep it fun.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Basil j

Re: How much time should you spend on a slant board?

Postby skijim13 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:09 am

I typically spent 30 min per sesson three times per week with my ski boots on and poles
skijim13

Postby rwd » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:13 am

Do you have access to video? If so, another approach is to use the tipping board, in front of a mirror, to learn the correct movements for a flexing transition with CB. Once you have them, practice on a gentle hill with your rollerblades, and video each other. With slow motion and stop action, it's easy to see if you are making the correct movements. If not - back to the tipping board.
rwd

Postby Basil j » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:21 pm

WE have actually just started using a mirror and then going out on a slight hill and practicing on the rollerblades. I should start filming them with my I-phone so they can see what they are doing. Great idea. Thanks
Basil j

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:30 pm

With regards to training with inline skates:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1240

Harald wrote:Skate muscles are used exactly the opposite way to ski tipping muscles, if you are trying to tip a skate on to a big toe edge with the ankle, you begin by relaxing the ankle and then holding it from tipping too far. If you are trying to tip a ski to the big toe edge, you are forcing the ankle to move to the side, and you have to continue holding the pressure of the ankle against the boot to keep the ski tipped. If you relax the ankle your ski will go flat.

This is a very simple way to look at the mechanics, skis have restoring force, skates do not. Skis want to come back to flat after they are tipped, skates want to fall over when they are upright.

What's better? For skiing movements Carvers are better. For co contraction training and ankle strengthening, both are good.

It is for this reason we invented Carvers, so you could practice the same movements as skiing without going to the slopes. Skates are fine training for balance and ankle muscle co contraction development, but it's not the same as skiing.
Max_501

Postby LiquidFeet » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Max, do you have information comparing tactics and muscle activation in downhill trail running compared to skiing? I run on technical single tracks in the woods here in NE during the summer. The downhill terrain is obstacle-ridden (rocks and roots). Running it without bracing/braking requires keeping the CoM ahead of the feet, seeing the line ahead, decisive line choice, and ankle flexion while running with a quiet upper body.

It's not skiing, nor is it close, but it has always seemed like there are transferrable skills in the domains of balance and vision and line choice.

What say you?
LiquidFeet

Postby jbotti » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:45 am

I ran and logged big mileage for over ten years and then continued to run (but less miles) while I competed in Triathlons and then like almost everyone, at the end I was reduced to just racing on the bike as it was the only sport left that I could do without causing some further damage to my body. My last 5 or so years of running coincided my with first 5 years of learning PMTS. I never saw much or any crossover benefit from running to skiing other that the obvious benefit of solid aerobic conditioning. Bear in mind a few things with running. First running is hard on your hip flexibility and most runners logging serious miles end up with locked hips which is a disaster for skiing. One can run modest mileage while maintaining a daily stretching regimen and this will keep your hip mobility. Second, you don't see WC Racers running huge mileage mainly because it is very hard to maintain or increase muscle mass while consistently running significant mileage. For many it is also true on the bike and I could not gain any real muscle mass while cycling 5-6 days a week logging big mileage. This isn't universally true but it is true for most.

I love running. I think in the right ratio with other stuff it's great. I wouldn't expect it to help your skiing much.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Basil j » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Our focus is on sprint work and building endurance and leg/core strength. I never run more than 3 miles and don't allow my kids to. A very successful strength coach in my area once told me if I want to develop slow athletes, let them run cross country. if you want good fast twitch fiber and explosive movement to develop, do wind sprints, hills and resistance training. especially as you age, testosterone goes down with endurance work, increases with anaerobic work, so we stick to anaerobic. Our sessions run about 45 minutes of well paced varied anaerobic work. I grew up a skater, not a runner and I naturally gravitate to sprint work over endurance work.At 55, I still can run a 5k under 25 minutes,and still maintain good muscle mass, and I am happy with that.My kids are right with me, so we keep it fun.
Basil j

Postby jbotti » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:29 pm

It probably should be said that the terms "slow" and fast" are both relative to the distances traveled or raced. Good club runners like myself (which are several notches below middle of the pack college runners) generally leave strength coaches like the one you mention in the dust at about the half mile mark on a short 5-6 mile run. A good friend of mine who lived next door to Michael Johnson (who still holds the 400m record) used to regularly go on 5-6 mile runs with MJ and leave him in the dust at the 2-3 mile mark (and my friend is not that great a runner). How much slow twitch and or fast twitch we have comes down to genetics and training. Truth is no fast twitch guy can run any distance with a slow twitch guy and vice versa, no slow twitch guy can explode and sprint like a fast twitch guy. But it's probably best not to call good endurance athletes slow when for most of them anything approaching 20 minutes on a 5k would be an embarrassment.

Having said all that, for skiing, fast twitch is king and much better. I wish I had more but I also enjoyed being "fast" even if it was generally starting around 6-10 miles.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Basil j » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:49 pm

Totally agree on the genetics position. I grew up on the Ice and have always done better with sprint work than distance running. My daughter and son seem to like sprint work better as well, but we will run a couple of 5K's in the fall and see if we can break 24 minutes. I'd be happy with that. I also have my daughter doing 10 miles in under 30 minutes on a stationary bike and she works up quite the sweat on that as well. My main goal is to help them understand that regardless of whether it's a math test or a GS race, the better you prepare, the better effort you can give, regardless of the outcome, you can feel that you gave it it your best effort . As a parent, That is my goal.
Basil j

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System