A one turn comparison, Reilly with Harald

PMTS Forum

A one turn comparison, Reilly with Harald

Postby h.harb » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:38 pm

http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2016/04/interesting-comparison-between-reilly.html

Reilly is a dynamic well rounded skier. He is on the Ozzie Demo Team with Paul Lorenz. These guys are far ahead of the rest to the Demo Teams in their skiing. Even ahead of well known per annual greats like the Austrians and Japanese.
h.harb

Re: A one turn comparison, Reilly with Harald

Postby sgarrozzo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:29 am

The comparison is very interesting. Too bad it's limited to a single frame. There are some differences that can not be analyzed in a picture. Especially at the time of release. I think that you have a more soft-release, probably due to the fact that you change edges without lengthening the new stance leg. And Reilly does not make this very short pause in the movement. Maybe he's wrong? :?
sgarrozzo

Postby h.harb » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:08 am

I don't understand what you mean. Reilly doesn't extend during his release. I've studied his transition completely. We talk about these things all the time. His focus has been pull back, and faster retraction.
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:13 pm

My two absolute favorite skiers to watch, in one blog post. Thanks for putting that up Harald. That is the kind of skiing I aspire to... need to get my pelvis uder control before I can get there though.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:24 pm

sgarrozzo wrote:The comparison is very interesting. Too bad it's limited to a single frame. There are some differences that can not be analyzed in a picture. Especially at the time of release. I think that you have a more soft-release, probably due to the fact that you change edges without lengthening the new stance leg. And Reilly does not make this very short pause in the movement. Maybe he's wrong? :?

You might want to take another look because Reilly doesn't extend during the release.

Max_501

Postby sgarrozzo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:23 am

Yes Max, looking in slow motion in effect he does not extend. Sorry for my mistake. But Harald, your release appears still softer. Can you explain it better, or is it just my impression? :D
sgarrozzo

Postby gaku » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:39 am

sgarrozzo wrote:Yes Max, looking in slow motion in effect he does not extend. Sorry for my mistake. But Harald, your release appears still softer. Can you explain it better, or is it just my impression? :D

"I really like Reilly's inside arm discipline, it's better than mine, even though inside arm and pole tip forward, is a big PMTS goal. Reilly's release also has more, "jet", he really let's his skis explode forward at release and catches them, pulls them back for tip engagement before the next arc. This is very athletic skiing. I tend to be more absorbing of energy, probably due to my old knees and having less strength than Reilly." - Harald, harbskisystems blogspot.

The difference in release is a result of how quickly he retracts his legs. A slower flexion at release means the pressure on the skis dissipates in a more gradual fashion, leading to less "bounce" out of the turn.
gaku

Postby sgarrozzo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:51 am

gaku wrote:
sgarrozzo wrote:Yes Max, looking in slow motion in effect he does not extend. Sorry for my mistake. But Harald, your release appears still softer. Can you explain it better, or is it just my impression? :D

"I really like Reilly's inside arm discipline, it's better than mine, even though inside arm and pole tip forward, is a big PMTS goal. Reilly's release also has more, "jet", he really let's his skis explode forward at release and catches them, pulls them back for tip engagement before the next arc. This is very athletic skiing. I tend to be more absorbing of energy, probably due to my old knees and having less strength than Reilly." - Harald, harbskisystems blogspot.

The difference in release is a result of how quickly he retracts his legs. A slower flexion at release means the pressure on the skis dissipates in a more gradual fashion, leading to less "bounce" out of the turn.

:D
sgarrozzo

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:07 am

Reilly is great. Is he into PMTS?
hyper_squirrel7

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:47 am

hyper_squirrel7 wrote:Reilly is great. Is he into PMTS?

Based on private conversations I've had with Reilly, much of what he does in his skiing and training is consistent with PMTS principles.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Roundturns » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:42 pm

He's a great skier no doubt, but he also must have a great sense of humor illustrated in his China video.
Roundturns

Postby h.harb » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:40 am

Reilly has become a good friend and uses PMTS and believes in it. He's a very affable young man very respectful of what we do, he is constantly learning and studying. He's not like most typical ego centered demo team guys. He is coming here to Hintertux to ski with us next week. Should be a blast.
Greg has been instrumental with introducing PMTS skiing to the Ozzie guys, and they are now the best Demo Team free skiers I have watched. Reilly is already well versed in technical skiing, and wants to know and use the real movements of the world's best; not just follow blindly and be lead around by a national system.
h.harb

Postby B.Mulligan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:32 am

h.harb wrote: He is coming here to Hintertux to ski with us next week. Should be a blast.

WOW! Now there's a camp worth its weight in Gold! Reilly and Paul ski so much better than any other demo team member anywhere I've seen. The explosive energy they get out of every turn, and how seamlessly they reign that power in and ski so smoothly and dynamically staggers me. The mogul skiing is just amazing.

Imight add the two canadian demo guys Sebastian Michel and Beaulieu to that list, though I like Reilly/ Paul a bit more. and Michel more than Beaulieu.

Loved the HH knee replacement videos, I watched the long one with your surgeon. It gives me hope with my bone on bonE knees.
B.Mulligan

Postby h.harb » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:59 am

Have to disagree from a technical skiing perspective about your skiing comparison to the Canadians.. The Canadians you mention are not close, movement wise to Reilly or Lorenz. They use lots of extension, late hits and leg extension. Lots of inefficient movements, with excessive energy wasting.
h.harb

Postby Basil j » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:41 pm

I posted a video of Paul Lorenz 2 years ago and it was met with less than great enthusiasm from HH. 2 years later, it's almost as if he took HH's advice and critique and now skis with what appears to be much more PMTS like movements.I know he hangs and skis with Reilly so I am sure they work together to refine their movements.
Basil j

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System