Ok I am starting feel like I can ski like Harald Harb

PMTS Forum

Ok I am starting feel like I can ski like Harald Harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:53 pm

http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2016/03/harald-harb-skiing-new-boots-new-skis.html

It's been a long time. Like Geoffda, I keep working on my skiing and all winter it didn't feel right. I know it's partly strength and recovery from knee replacement, but after all, I wanted to ski like I was used to skiing. It's finally coming around. New skis, new boots, and the time to dial it all in helps. I am seeing there is a light at the end of all this work. It's hard work learning to ski like Harald Harb, All over again.

h.harb

Re: Ok I am starting feel like I can ski like Harald Harb

Postby geoffda » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:23 pm

You stole my line!!!!!
geoffda

Postby arothafel » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:28 pm

Who knows... with all the new hardware, maybe you'll end up skiing better than Harald Harb!
arothafel

Postby Kiwi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:31 pm

Looking very smooth
Kiwi

Postby blackthorn » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:44 am

I like the helmet.
blackthorn

Postby DougD » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:16 am

New boots the same color as mine? Oh no! People seeing me ski might confuse me with you. :lol:

... or not!!! Nice rebounds at the end of your turns. Lots of energy being harnessed, but as smoothly and efficiently as ever.
DougD

Postby l2ski » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:43 am

blackthorn wrote:I like the helmet.

+1

Beautiful turns. I can't wait to see you doing that *live* when I come to a camp.
l2ski

Postby h.harb » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks for the comments, looking forward to seeing you at camp, but it's not about the helmet it's about the feet.

To those still working on their skiing. I've been working on my skiing and equipment all winter. Some days I couldn't due to some knee pain and fatigue. A new knee doesn't always do or act like you want. Testing and evolving my equipment and working on my strength has made a huge difference.

Comparing my turns on good days at the beginning of the season to the present, I see a definite improvement. To those working on their skiing don't give up, the good skiing is in you. Look at what Todd has accomplished and many others who have come to camp.

When I ski I'm trying to find what I used to have when my legs were strong and the boots had the perfect set up. I have the luxury that most skiers don't have. I can make changes on the fly, even on the slope, and I know when it's not right. I can go into the shop and add or take away changes I need, a credit card shim under my boots or a cuff change. So if you think I started this season from ground zero in strength and set up; I've come a long way.

Can everyone do this, no, it will take you longer, because you aren't able to come to my shop everyday after skiing to make tweaks. However it can be done, but it will take longer.
These photos are off video, from this season.
http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2016/04/interesting-comparison-between-reilly.html
h.harb

Postby gaku » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:56 am

Argh, it looks so deceptively simple. ;) Smooth skiing, Harald.
gaku

Postby h.harb » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:58 am

Your comment is one I have heard most of my skiing career. even when I was racing my rivals' parents at the races would always comment how smooth and easy I make it look. This is purely an outside observer's observation however; I work my butt off to ski with these movements and it's not easy. Getting everything to match and change edges quickly with the same consistency for a whole run takes amazing concentration and focus. To do this at speed with connected high energy is very difficult. It's amazing to me when I watch Reilly's skiing how many high end turns in a row he can connect and not make a mistake. We all make mistakes, however to feel the mistake coming and correct it before it becomes obvious is a real high level ability. In our camps, we instruct people not only to focus on the right movements, but how to correct a movement that went wrong, not just continue to deteriorate as the run progresses. Getting it back together mid turn, when you sense something went wrong, is crucial.
h.harb

Postby B.Mulligan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:36 am

h.harb wrote: however to feel the mistake coming and correct it before it becomes obvious is a real high level ability.

Wow, that's great advice and the mark at becoming an expert at everything in life. Seriously, that's the wisest thing I've read on the internet.
B.Mulligan

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System