Great experience in Fernie

PMTS Forum

Great experience in Fernie

Postby DavidV » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:33 am

Just returned from a couple of weeks in BC, and spent a week and a half with Scott, Max and Pete in Fernie .. am compelled to express how great the experience was (even though the snow conditions were a long way from the "Fernie powder legend")

The alignment sessions were a revelation! I had been looking forward to it with high expectation, and it was as effective and useful as anticipated. I was a bit reluctant to 'blame the tools' but correct equipment alignment really did make a huge difference.

Having only read books 1 & 2 in the last couple of months and done the dry land in-line skating exercises, it was a pleasure to get some really great coaching and feedback from Scott Burns.. and feel the power of the LTE and free foot management, wow !! After 20 years skiing this was really powerfull stuff, and I know Scott onIy scratched the surface with me .. I needed a couple of days off just to practice and let all the info sink in a bit. (Great coaching Scott .. let the Austrian in you out a bit more ! :-) )

My girlfriend (with only 1.5 days of prior on-snow experience) had the priviledge of a week of one-on-one coaching from Max Sherwood. Man, can he ski .. powerful poetry/magic .. and she made fantastic progress - thanks Max !

So .. kudos to the team there in Fernie .. professional, organised, friendly and super effective .. what a pleasure it was.
Also got to make new friends and meet some forum members .. hi to bejes, tanman and 'al from trail' !!
Have fun with HH and the accreditation this week guys !

big :-) all round, thanks again guys !

I got back to Sydney today to find my shiny new Carvers waiting for me .. plenty of time to practice my LT tipping before the Australian season arrives :-)
DavidV

Postby A.L.E » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:15 am

David,

I was in Fernie early January and in Canada for a month in total. I think you summed up Max Sherwood's skiing with your discription of "powerful poetry", a great personality to boot. I didn't see another skier in that month who's style impressed me more than Max. My wife had him for a week and she loved his patience as much as his ability as a coach.

Fernie would be the perfect place to live year round and with Max as your recreation coach/director you would be well looked after. Ski coach in winter, he is a professional golf coach in summer and an expert fly fisherman apparently.

Like you I have been skiing for 20 odd years and never have I learnt so much than in the time I spent with Max and Peter in Fernie. And I only did one day with them. Again like you, the free foot pull back was very "powerful". It gives me instant added balance. I think it was also a reason my legs never felt tired even though I skied for about 25 full days in January. I also remember commenting to Max that my boots felt more comfortable!!

I've been thinking about the carvers and might order a pair. I have never in line skated before so I am a bit apprehensive about them to be honest.
Landing on the black snow is gunna hurt. :lol:
A.L.E

Postby tanman » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:18 pm

Hi Davo,
It was nice meeting you and Mel over in Fernie. But, pity about the snow hey. Yeh, I thought the program was very good and i was amazed at what Max did to improve your Mel's skiing from a total beginner. We went downt to Tahoe after skiing with you guys, but the conditions got real spring like. Should have gone to Colorado. I hope to catch you guys next year maybe.
tanman

Canadian Team PMTS instructor quality

Postby Harald » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:02 pm

Thanks for the comments about the instruction at Fernie. Max is one of the instructors who participated in the Accreditation there. He did a great job and was awarded his blue level. Max is a fine skier, he skis everything with total refinement. We also worked with Max in the fall this year when he came to the technician?s course here in Colorado. Max is a level four CSCA coach and a level four CSIA instructor.

We are very happy to welcome Max to the Harb Ski Systems team of coaches. Look for him at more events, next season?s, PMTS Instructor Camp and Blue Dark blue camps.

The blue level of PMTS is a very high standard; anyone who achieves it has to really produce a complete lesson. Let us not forget that Scottie and Peter the other two Canadian Harb Ski Systems coaches are also blue level. I was watching and had the opportunity to speak with many of the campers who have signed up for courses with the Canadian arm of Harb Ski Systems. They were completely impressed with the results and the level of professionalism and coaching they received from the boys in Fernie. Congratulations men. Hope to see you here in Colorado, next week.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

you bet ...

Postby DavidV » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:19 am

Couldn't agree more :-) ... one of our campers had a saying "I want to ski like Harald" ... my own view is (with due respect to HH, not having seen him ski) ... "I want to ski like Scott" .. works for me .. that would be something !!

davidv -- looking forward to the next round of SB coaching -- :-)
DavidV

Postby *SCSA » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:50 am

David V,

"If you compare yourself to others you will become bitter and vain".

No. You don't want to "...ski like HH".

What you want, is to master the Primary Movements.
*SCSA

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System