Is the wedge really so common?

PMTS Forum

Is the wedge really so common?

Postby Mr. T » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:08 pm

Last week-end I went skiing like probably most of us did. While riding chairlifts I paid close attention to how people were beginning their turns.
Sure, one can see wedges, but I saw a lot of people who were just skidding a little while beginning or completing the turn, but I did not see
the dreadful wedge movement I used to see a lot years ago. Many people do not engage enough their edges to hold on. At least on the advanced slopes what I saw was not a Sodoma and Gomorra of wedges.

I think that the best way to eliminate the wedge is to ski on one ski only.
If you have only one ski you cannot form a wedge. Very simple.
It was 1F in MN and not many people showed up for skiing in the early morning. So I took all possible runs under the chairlifts and then quickly went back up to look at my tracks. It looked pretty nice, except on a very narrow corridor in between bumps and trees where I could see nice tracks but also some larger tracks where the turns where joining. It was real icy and that could make it harder than normal, but I think it is me not to use enough edges. However, on long turns many were really nicely cut before, during and after the turns. I could control at low speed our tough local run (40 degree pitch) without too many problems. I credit one-ski skiing as my best drill. When I will manage to ski a blue run with complete
turns from top to bottom I am sure I will know how to put enough edge at work
Mr. T

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System