Issues with wide stances?

PMTS Forum

Issues with wide stances?

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:56 pm

Does anyone else struggle with wide stances? My problem is that I can start in a narrow stance, but (and especially when it's steeper) my stance tends to widen as I progress along the "C." My problem specifically seems to be that when I tip, my leg also moves out, and when I try to shorten my free foot, the same happens. If it means anything, I'm bow legged and have fairly flexible hips, could that be contributing?
hyper_squirrel7

Re: Issues with wide stances?

Postby Max_501 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:12 am

hyper_squirrel7 wrote:My problem specifically seems to be that when I tip, my leg also moves out, and when I try to shorten my free foot, the same happens.

Can you get some video?
Max_501

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:44 pm

Max_501 wrote:
hyper_squirrel7 wrote:My problem specifically seems to be that when I tip, my leg also moves out, and when I try to shorten my free foot, the same happens.

Can you get some video?

It's old but the issue is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSyEU9aFrgs

hyper_squirrel7

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:40 am

Looks to me like you are not balanced on your stance leg throughout the entirety of the turn...halfway through your turn - just after you have crossed through the fall line, you are falling onto your free foot. As it is tipped, the ski will then diverge. The entry into your left turns is a solid phantom, but there us something awry with your right turn initiation - maybe as a consequence of how you are finishing your left turn....
There are plenty of drills out there to develop COMPLETE balance on your stance foot, but essentially you don't want the free ski to be weighted/ touch the snow until you finish/ start the new turn. If this free foot is squeezed up against the stance boot - see ACBAES 2 chpt 6, you will get the idea....
Have your boots had the 'harb' treatment yet?
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Ken » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:43 pm

"I'm bow legged"
"Have your boots had the 'harb' treatment yet?"

A bow legged skier who has not yet been aligned needs his feet apart to get both edges on the snow equally. This pic isn't you (this guy is knock kneed), but for this fellow wedges under the inside of his boot would allow him to be flat with his foot directly under his knee. It takes a highly skilled boot fitter to do this correctly. When done correctly, and you've gotten past the compensatory movements you've been making for years, your skiing can improve greatly. (This pic is the best I could find right now on the interwebs)
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:15 am

A poorly aligned boot will effect your ability (ease) to balance when standing on one leg...poor technique and not committing to standing/ balancing on one leg/ ski throughout the entirety of the turn will yield a wide stance as you fall to the inside on the turn and trade balance for stability....
go_large_or_go_home

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:15 am

go_large_or_go_home wrote:Looks to me like you are not balanced on your stance leg throughout the entirety of the turn...halfway through your turn - just after you have crossed through the fall line, you are falling onto your free foot. As it is tipped, the ski will then diverge. The entry into your left turns is a solid phantom, but there us something awry with your right turn initiation - maybe as a consequence of how you are finishing your left turn....
There are plenty of drills out there to develop COMPLETE balance on your stance foot, but essentially you don't want the free ski to be weighted/ touch the snow until you finish/ start the new turn. If this free foot is squeezed up against the stance boot - see ACBAES 2 chpt 6, you will get the idea....
Have your boots had the 'harb' treatment yet?

Can you elaborate on the "how I'm finishing my left turn" part? Fwiw I do have the wide stance issue on my left side too, though I do notice that my left side is very different from my right. It is better.

I haven't had my boots treated, no. I probably won't be able to head to CO anytime soon.
hyper_squirrel7

Postby ToddW » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:46 am

Hyper_squirrel7,

There are active Harb trained alignment folks in Colorado, Oregon, California, Pennsylvania, New York, the Netherlands and possibly elsewhere. There's also a guy in Utah whose alignment work meshes well with PMTS. If any of these are an easier trip, I can get you contact info.
ToddW

Postby VAskier » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:22 pm

go_large_or_go_home wrote:The entry into your left turns is a solid phantom,

Experts, please correct me if I am wrong, but I'm not seeing a "solid phantom" in any turn.
VAskier

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:41 pm

ToddW wrote:Hyper_squirrel7,

There are active Harb trained alignment folks in Colorado, Oregon, California, Pennsylvania, New York, the Netherlands and possibly elsewhere. There's also a guy in Utah whose alignment work meshes well with PMTS. If any of these are an easier trip, I can get you contact info.

Hi Todd, I will be in Utah (Park City and Snowbird) March 4-11.

However I am a college student and I'm afraid I'm not up to shelling out hundreds of dollars on alignment at this point, as necessary as it is. I've already splurged buying boots in the first place and paying for the ski trip... still, I'm open to the option of at least getting evaluated.
hyper_squirrel7

Postby ToddW » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:29 pm

PM sent
ToddW

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:57 pm

ToddW wrote:PM sent

Thanks!

Fwiw, I have x-shaped legs where I am bow legged but my knees bend in. I'll try to post photos.
hyper_squirrel7

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:43 pm

VAskier wrote:

Experts, please correct me if I am wrong, but I'm not seeing a "solid phantom" in any turn.

Look closely at his LEFT turns....Atleast one is even a super phantom...not ideal footage...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:05 pm

go_large_or_go_home wrote:
VAskier wrote:

Look closely at his LEFT turns....Atleast one is even a super phantom...not ideal footage...

*her :)
hyper_squirrel7

Postby DougD » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:41 pm

Then DEFINITELY not ideal footage! :lol:
DougD

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System