The float

PMTS Forum

The float

Postby skijim13 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:09 am

Lorie and I were working on the float where you pause between release and engagement. The question is that in the book Expert II it says to keep the skis flat between the turns as long as you can. However if the new stance goes flat and you engage the new ski would that not form a wedge entry? I thought that you should keep the new stance ski on the little toe edge and then allow it to move into the turn by tipping with the free foot.
skijim13

Re: The float

Postby emakarios » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:30 am

There is a sequence of movements for the release-transfer-engage.
At the end of the turn, hold the old free ski on the LTE, with some weight(two footed release) or all weight (super phantom release) on that ski.
Tip the old stance ski from BTE to flat and toward LTE (this will create an "O-frame"). Flex both legs during this sequence. (Flex is a verb, not a bend and hold).
The new free ski (old stance ski ) tips to the LTE before the new stance ski (old free ski) tips to the BTE , thus the sequence.
The outcome for ski performance is a the changing from one set of edges to the other with no direction change until the new edges engage. Engaging the new stance ski to the BTE before the free ski engages to the LTE will result in some type of stem and tail displacement of the skis (skid)
emakarios

Postby skijim13 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 am

I agree with you but if you read Expert II page 88 it says the skis are flat. I would believe that as PMTS evolved it means to have the downhill ski flat while standing on the LTE of the uphill edge for the moment of float. Just wanted to validate I was not missing something in the float.
skijim13

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:03 am

Max_501

Postby gaku » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:03 am

"The stance leg doesn’t need to support the body’s full weight during this phase. We call this phase "The Float."

The old stance leg does not support the full weight of the body during transition (unless you are doing weighted release exercises at slow speeds), nor does the old inside leg. I get the feeling that some skiers think that the old inside leg needs to extend, support and push the CG through the transition.

We do not take this approach, as it is not needed if the skier has proper balance and preparation. At times in the development of skiers, we do teach tipping with weight on either leg or foot, of course, because
at first skiers will not develop enough "float" to completely unweight the skis in transitions, but we do not emphasize extension of the new stance leg or pushing the CG. We do not teach extension of either leg during transition. We teach bending of the stance leg to match the flex of the inside leg, and tipping the feet during this phase of release."

http://www.pmts.org/index.php/read-a-ta ... s-per-pmts
gaku

Postby blackthorn » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:26 pm

The float is an outcome/sensation. If one seeks it directly things may go wrong. I used to ski with a "really good float", but it was the product of non-PMTS movements. I practice transitions with PMTS movements and the float just comes.
I recall when I finally achieved one of those floats where one feels propelled down the hill. I got such a "fright" I stopped next turn. Then I kept trying too hard to repeat it, movements went wrong etcetc. I went back to practising my transitions concentrating on movements and...........
blackthorn

Postby skijim13 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:59 pm

Thanks everyone for your input
skijim13

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System