Efficiency

PMTS Forum

Efficiency

Postby jbotti » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:05 pm

I think part of the reason my skiing has improved the past 2-3 years is because of the efficiency I have developed/employed with my skiing and drill work. Many on this forum complain about dedicating too much of their limited skiing time to drill work when they "could be having fun". I think it has been said before but you can come very close to having it all. It comes down to efficiency and never wasting terrain. Certain drills require that one pretty much stop skiing and just do the drill. OFR and TFR are both examples of this where you have to stop, and work in small spot on the mountain as you execute a number of these. Many newer PMTS skiers will not be attempting either one of these drills. But once you move away from these two, many of the other drills you can do in the midst of your skiing. I work SP releases/drills multiple times a day and I have certain runs on my home mountain that are prefect for them. I do Angry Mothers all over the mountain for half a run (or multiple runs if the need arises) at a time multiple times each day. Same for Phantom Javelins, weighted releases, Flappers and the basic Phantom Move (actually not so basic!). I have several drills that are more tailored to the needs of my skiing, generally things have worked in my lesson with Harald and Diana and I work them in as the day progresses especially when I notice that something that needs to be in my skiing was just missing in my last run.

I just came back from 2 weeks in Montana and I skied to my hearts content (12 days, yes I should have taken at least on more day off), skied some great pow just for fun, also skied a ton of bumps and this was very focused. So in the midst of skiing something really fun and challenging I would work drills the rest of the way down or take a break (legs can only take so many bumps without a break) and ski groomers doing drills that I need when skiing bumps. I also ski with my wife a good amount in Montana and she pretty much just skis groomers and although a decent PMTS skier she is less advanced than I am. That time with her is great to continue to work drills and ski bumps on the side of groomed runs where she is skiing.

Several years ago I would find myself coming back from week-long ski trips where I skied a ton but knew that I had not moved the ball forward with my PMTS technique. I am not sure when I made my mind up to not let this keep happening but once I did I started to notice all the opportunities to work on so many different essentials with so many different drills while having fun freeskiing during a vacation day.

Learn from the best, Harald is working on his skiing every turn. All good skiers are doing this, working on their skiing every day , every turn, all the time. It only sounds anal but its actually quite fun and a sure fire way to advance. And you will never feel like you did drills and never really got to ski!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Efficiency

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:02 am

I know that releases don't require much space, but honestly, when I started practicing them, the space I took up doing them did decrease over time. I think that for those first practicing, it's possible that they will take up more space, spend more time in the fall like, etc.
hyper_squirrel7

Postby blackthorn » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:54 pm

hyper_squirrel7 wrote:I know that releases don't require much space, but honestly, when I started practicing them, the space I took up doing them did decrease over time. I think that for those first practicing, it's possible that they will take up more space, spend more time in the fall like, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I ski about 10 days a year, usually with friends. I try and do a few runs daily doing drills on my own but don't want to be antisocial ( maybe fit it in when the others have coffee, or at days end) , then for groomer skiing with others I try and concentrate on specific components. Even when "free" skiing I try and concentrate on one or two things in particular. I don't think I ever ski without thinking about what I am doing.
blackthorn

Postby Jeet » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:08 am

This has been a game changer for me. I used to spend 80% free skiing (with focus) and 20% working on Drills. After my recent MA I spend 30% free skiing and 70% on drills, this has made a big difference. I spent 3 hours doing the 1 footed release and then moving to the 2 footed release and then moving that to a basic brushed carve. Doing it at snails pace. Makes a huge difference. The 2 footed release and brush carving just weeds out movements that need refining.

Like martial arts, - everything needs to be slowed done.

As it's been mentioned before, movements and exercises are all been laid out for me, no need to over think them, just do the movements and drills (correctly) - verify with video and your skiing will improve.

Just Do it - my new thinking for 2016

Jeet
Jeet

Postby DougD » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:46 am

Jeet +1!!!
DougD

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

blackthorn wrote:...
hyper_squirrel7 wrote:I know that releases don't require much space, but honestly, when I started practicing them, the space I took up doing them did decrease over time. I think that for those first practicing, it's possible that they will take up more space, spend more time in the fall like, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I ski about 10 days a year, usually with friends. I try and do a few runs daily doing drills on my own but don't want to be antisocial ( maybe fit it in when the others have coffee, or at days end) , then for groomer skiing with others I try and concentrate on specific components. Even when "free" skiing I try and concentrate on one or two things in particular. I don't think I ever ski without thinking about what I am doing.

When I first starting doing releases, I would release, but end up falling down the fall time rather than making a "C" immediately. This takes up more space obviously.
hyper_squirrel7

Postby blackthorn » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:34 pm

Thanks. I think this is where the very early drills in ACBAES 1 are useful ie starting with traversing, then garlands etcetc. Having said that anyone can go flat on their face from time to time - I still do occasionally.
blackthorn

Postby Max_501 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:14 pm

jbotti wrote:I think part of the reason my skiing has improved the past 2-3 years is because of the efficiency I have developed/employed with my skiing and drill work. Many on this forum complain about dedicating too much of their limited skiing time to drill work when they "could be having fun". I think it has been said before but you can come very close to having it all. It comes down to efficiency and never wasting terrain. Certain drills require that one pretty much stop skiing and just do the drill. OFR and TFR are both examples of this where you have to stop, and work in small spot on the mountain as you execute a number of these. Many newer PMTS skiers will not be attempting either one of these drills. But once you move away from these two, many of the other drills you can do in the midst of your skiing. I work SP releases/drills multiple times a day and I have certain runs on my home mountain that are prefect for them. I do Angry Mothers all over the mountain for half a run (or multiple runs if the need arises) at a time multiple times each day. Same for Phantom Javelins, weighted releases, Flappers and the basic Phantom Move (actually not so basic!). I have several drills that are more tailored to the needs of my skiing, generally things have worked in my lesson with Harald and Diana and I work them in as the day progresses especially when I notice that something that needs to be in my skiing was just missing in my last run.

I just came back from 2 weeks in Montana and I skied to my hearts content (12 days, yes I should have taken at least on more day off), skied some great pow just for fun, also skied a ton of bumps and this was very focused. So in the midst of skiing something really fun and challenging I would work drills the rest of the way down or take a break (legs can only take so many bumps without a break) and ski groomers doing drills that I need when skiing bumps. I also ski with my wife a good amount in Montana and she pretty much just skis groomers and although a decent PMTS skier she is less advanced than I am. That time with her is great to continue to work drills and ski bumps on the side of groomed runs where she is skiing.

Several years ago I would find myself coming back from week-long ski trips where I skied a ton but knew that I had not moved the ball forward with my PMTS technique. I am not sure when I made my mind up to not let this keep happening but once I did I started to notice all the opportunities to work on so many different essentials with so many different drills while having fun freeskiing during a vacation day.

Learn from the best, Harald is working on his skiing every turn. All good skiers are doing this, working on their skiing every day , every turn, all the time. It only sounds anal but its actually quite fun and a sure fire way to advance. And you will never feel like you did drills and never really got to ski!

Words of Wisdom!
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:38 am

Well said JohnB, this is especially important to all you younger guys. I have gone through some difficult years since 2010. A knee cleaning arthroscope, 9 weeks off my feet, a knee injury, 2 months off my feet, a torn achilles, and a knee replacement in the last 6 years. So 4 out of the last 6 years I've been doing rehab, never achieving full strength, before another rehab year showed up.. I'm not complaining and those that know me, know I'm not looking for sympathy. My point however; is that I am working harder to ski like Harald, than I have ever had to before. What makes this extra difficult is, at a certain age you begin to lose flexibility, relaxation and quickness. So do the work now, before age begins to make creating the range of movements and learning how to move extremely more difficult. To stay in top form, I have to either ski everyday, and when I' not skiing and not hurting, I'm in the exercise room. As John says, do the work now, I can tell you, you will be rewarded when you hit your late sixties and seventies.
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:00 pm

Harald and John are absolutely correct. I work out year-round in order to be prepared for ski season... This includes gym time lifting weights and working on my core and a lot of road cycling and racing to keep my cardio in shape. I squat 2-2.5x my body weight and dead lift over 2.5x... both supported by well balanced lifts throughout the routine. After skiing with John and Max this year, I learned I need to add a dimension of stretching to my workout so I can increase my mobility in my hips so I am better at proper CB and CA against a brushing ski (I'm okay when edge locked). The point is... I am not a professional skier and am far less than half Harald's age, and I work my ass off year round to ski at the level I do. Skiing at a high level is not easy, and it becomes not only challenging to improve at a high level, but simply to maintain at a high level once you are there. Using snow time wisely and supplementing it off-snow is required for high level skiing.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:23 pm

Dyland is also a serious part of my training.

1 - Wobble board
2 - Balance board (Pivit)
3 - Infinity 8 board
4 - Slant board
5 - The floor (ski specific stretches and CA range of motion movements)
6 - Indoor Slackline (incredible for increasing balance skills)
7 - Carvers for June - November practice
8 - Skiers Edge
9 - Mountain Bike (one of the best form of cross training for skiing I have found)
10 - Weight lifting
11 - Hiking/Snowshoeing
Max_501

Postby Roundturns » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:16 am

When you guys ski a full day , any idea how many vertical feet is typical? I ask that because of the Epic Pass and how it tracks your daily vertical. I acknowledge and agree there is productive ski time when you are concentrating and working on specific skills that can't be confused with cruising around the mountain.
But I was curious what a typical day on the mountain would represent. Also, if you have quick and easy access to the mountain being nearby allows more frequent and shorter ski days I would imagine vs. trying to condense as much ski time as possible in a 5 day trip.

I'm a 61 year old gym rat. Undoubtedly need to include more stretching, balancing, etc into what I do, but have pretty decent cardio endurance and some strength. I agree 100% with Harald's remarks regarding it doesn't get easier as time goes on ,and I am very fortunate that I have not had injuries to deal with. I'm very impressed with the skiing you guys have shared with us over the years and it reinforces and confirms it has not happened by accident. There was a "blueprint" and PMTS drills to get you there.

Regarding daily vertical, my buddy I ski with at Vail and I were thinking we put in a big day and notched just below 40,000 vertical, and we were in a ski shop getting something and over heard a guy that looked to be about 10 years older than me and probably 20 lbs. over weight mention that he skied 44,000 that day. So much for vertical feet being an athletic accomplishment.
Heluva, I do hex bar dead lifts 5 times a week at maybe 1.25 my body weight , and I think that feels heavy!
Roundturns

Postby VAskier » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:01 pm

When I'm drilling, I tend to get much less vertical than my ski buddies and family who rate their daily "accomplishment" in terms of chair rides and/or vertical feet. While easily measurable, vertical feet skiied is not a metric of any importance to me.

Practicing TFRs can make one run take a very long time.
VAskier

Postby jbotti » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:58 pm

Quality versus Quantity!!
If you want to ski a lot of vert in a day you will invariably go faster, turn less, ski shorter arcs and in general ski with less form. I know its been said here before but it is worth repeating, the best skiers in the world (WC Racers) are generally skiing no more than two hours in a given day. Its highly focused work and every turn is maxed with regard to intensity and with regard to range of motion on all the essentials. All these guys (and gals) are 35 or younger, in massively superior shape than the average professional athlete (not to mention the average person) and they are shot after 2 hours of high intensity, highly focused skiing.

The path to improvement is in repeating the best, highest quality most focused turns and that and only that is what makes them hold up in more difficult terrain. Anyone that does this will improve. I often find that after two hours of really focused skiing that I don't have a lot left in the tank especially if it involves bumps or high flexion SRT's which I practice to simulate bumps. There are 3 choices when one gets in this place, first is to go in and call it a day (a very wise choice but difficult for many to do), the second is to ski some more doing drills that require less energy (one and two footed releases would be a good example), or lastly continue to ski and for sure have the skiing degrade and at some point we are practicing bad habits. I guess there is a 4th option which is skiing vert making SG turns at slalom speeds on slalom skis. For me that is a big why bother as I know it doesn't help my skiing but also isn't any fun. If I am on skis and on snow I want to arc my best turns and I want the high G experience.

How much vert in a day is irrelevant. What matters is the quality of the work and the focus whether it is in drill work or very focused free skiing. But most the most important thing is learning to read when you are shot and making the right decision (go in or dial it way back) when that occurs.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Roundturns » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:13 pm

Ben Hogan said he wouldn't hit balls unless there was a specific. "Thing" he wanted to work on. So every swing had a purpose and objective. I agree quality time particularly if you are trying to learn or practice something new trumps just being on the snow.

For me it's still a thrill to ski on a real mountain and I try to go "bell to bell", and probably some of that is motivated by the challenge of doing that, but the terrain and conditions, and even the lifts are such an up grade to skiing at home I'm really enjoying it.At my home hill in Pa. I'm coming home earlier and earlier each passing season. A couple of hours and I'm through anymore.

Regarding Colorado skiing, I've told my friends this , if the time comes and I'm not really stoked to be there and be skiing , it's time to quit coming. It's kind of a vertical challenged flat lander mindset.
Roundturns

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System