First Post - Looking for advice

PMTS Forum

First Post - Looking for advice

Postby njdiver85 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:16 am

This is my first post to PMTS. I've been reading and re-reading ACBAES 1 and 2, as well as the Essentials books, and working on the drills. I've also read through countless posts on this forum to gain further insight. Unfortunately, I don't have any video of myself to post, but I was hoping that someone here could point me in the right direction in terms of fixing a problem I seem to have.

At the start of my turns, I continue to get some tip divergence, noticeable most by looking down at the tails and seeing the free foot ski tail moving towards the stance tail. As far as I can tell, early in my tipping of the free foot, I am getting some lower leg rotation outward of the free foot leg. This is more pronounced on my right turns than left, but still present on both sides.

Any thoughts on what this is typically a sign of, like insufficient counter-rotation, or a particular alignment issue? Any drills to work on to remedy this? I realize this leaves very little information to go on, but hoping someone might be able to offer some thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
njdiver85

Re: First Post - Looking for advice

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:31 pm

You definitely have a free foot management issue of some sort, however without seeing what is going on, everyone would just be guessing at what the real issue is. The best advice we could give without seeing you ski, is work through the progressions and checks in the books as those give you a lot of cues on how to gauge if you are performing a movement properly.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:43 pm

A great way to test this is to work on your two footed release. With your feet 6 inches apart, keep 1/2 your weight on your releasing ski, and flex it to create an "O" frame. If you tip your releasing foot and ski, with some or enough flexing, the ski should engage with the outside ski, without divergence. Divergence isn't bad however, you will never cross your skis with it and even the world cup slalom skiers get divergence.
h.harb

Postby speedcontrol » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:54 am

( To njdiver 85 ) You are very lucky to get some advise from Harald Harb and Heluvaskier right after your post number one on this forum. These are exactly the right people when looking for directions and a competent piece of advise.Good luck with your TFR practice
speedcontrol

Postby njdiver85 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:32 pm

Just want to say thanks to all those that posted with some advice. And a special thanks to Harald for taking the time to post. I will definitely work on my TFR this weekend.
njdiver85

Postby misterknuts » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks for the question and thanks so much to Harald for answering it. I've had this question for some time as well.
misterknuts

Postby Max_501 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:37 pm

njdiver85 wrote:Any drills to work on to remedy this?

Spend some time working on the Super phantom with touch-tilt:

As in a regular super phantom, transfer balance to LTE of the uphill ski. Then, touch the inside edge of the lifted, dowhnill ski to the inside ankle rivet of the stance boot ("inside foot arch touches outside foot ankle"). Keep it touching while tipping the free foot further toward its LTE. Don't let that free foot touch the snow until the very end of the turn. VERY IMPORTANT STEP! At the end of the turn, when the free foot touches the snow on its LTE, immediately pick up the new free foot, and touch-tilt the new stance boot.

When learning, you can begin with keeping the tip of the free ski on the snow, but the goal is to keep the whole ski lifted throughout the turn which is a true test of your ability to balance on the outside ski.
Max_501

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System